Croatia tour recommendations - Split and Dubrovnik

We are sailing this September so i'm starting to research and book excursions. I don't see many threads about these 2 Croatian ports, so any feedback would be helpful!

We have a party of 6 adults. We usually book private tours and rarely use the ship excursions.

Our day in Split is longer (9 hours) than Dubrovnik (7.5 hours but starting at 6:30 am?!).

In Split, i was thinking about a private boat guide to go to some of the surrounding islands and beaches, then hopefully back in town to walk around and explore the city.

Dubrovnik, since we dock so early and leave at 2:30 pm, i'm not sure what to do. To walk around town when it seems like everything will be closed, just doesnt seem very interesting.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions! Thanks-

I don't see many threads about these 2 Croatian ports

Unsure  what your definition of "many" is, nor how you searched for them, because I quickly searched both ports and Split returned 68 results and Dubrovnik 84

On first visits to both, there is really no need for a tour out of town as both offer a number of sights and experiences within the towns themselves and both are super easy to DIY especially on foot as both are mostly pedestrianised, but of course, if you prefer to tour and miss some sights, that is entirely your decision...

Agree that Dubrovnik is an early start, but the historic centre will be open as it always is, although you will likely have to wait for museums and the walls walk to open. Check opening hours. And shops are unlikely to be open either but unless you planned a serious shopping trip, they should be opening up before you return to your ship so there should still be shopping opportunities.  And that early in the day, it should not matter that restaurants will not be open, although some cafes should be. Lots of walking, lots to explore.

Both Dubrovnik and Split are an easy walk around to explore even early morning and that may be preferable as it can become very hot and very crowded in both as the day progresses, so early is actually a positive rather than a negative.  At least IMHO. although others may disagree.

To find all the threads mentioned above, use the quick and easy SEARCH TOOL.  Go to the general Other Mediterranean Ports forum, (not a specific thread) and input either Dubrovnik or Split into the empty search box under your username, and hit the little spyglass, after which all threads containing that name will appear ready for you to read..  Repeat the process with the other name.

Split is equally easy to DIY, even easier as it is only a 10 or 15 minute level walk to the area around the palace and The Riva promenade.and there is plenty to see there too.

Lovely that you have both on your itinerary.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ajtaylor29 said:

We are sailing this September so i'm starting to research and book excursions. I don't see many threads about these 2 Croatian ports, so any feedback would be helpful!

We have a party of 6 adults. We usually book private tours and rarely use the ship excursions.

Our day in Split is longer (9 hours) than Dubrovnik (7.5 hours but starting at 6:30 am?!).

In Split, i was thinking about a private boat guide to go to some of the surrounding islands and beaches, then hopefully back in town to walk around and explore the city.

Dubrovnik, since we dock so early and leave at 2:30 pm, i'm not sure what to do. To walk around town when it seems like everything will be closed, just doesnt seem very interesting.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions! Thanks-

We were in Split (and Dubrovnik, but I'll concentrate my comments on Split) a couple of weeks ago.  We took an inexpensive walking tour with the ship.  Perhaps it was because the guide was so good, but I am certain that we gained a huge amount from that guide.  Our experience of the town would have been much inferior if we had attempted a DIY walk.  When we spoke to others in the evening that had DIY'd, it was clear that they had missed much of both the physical detail and the astonishingly deep history of the place.

On Dubrovnik - they say that the best time to experience it is first thing in the morning - though perhaps not quite as early as 6.30!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I don't see many threads about these 2 Croatian ports

Unsure  what your definition of "many" is, nor how you searched for them, because I quickly searched both ports and Split returned 68 results and Dubrovnik 84

On first visits to both, there is really no need for a tour out of town as both offer a number of sights and experiences within the towns themselves and both are super easy to DIY especially on foot as both are mostly pedestrianised, but of course, if you prefer to tour and miss some sights, that is entirely your decision...

Agree that Dubrovnik is an early start, but the historic centre will be open as it always is, although you will likely have to wait for museums and the walls walk to open. Check opening hours. And shops are unlikely to be open either but unless you planned a serious shopping trip, they should be opening up before you return to your ship so there should still be shopping opportunities.  And that early in the day, it should not matter that restaurants will not be open, although some cafes should be. Lots of walking, lots to explore.

Both Dubrovnik and Split are an easy walk around to explore even early morning and that may be preferable as it can become very hot and very crowded in both as the day progresses, so early is actually a positive rather than a negative.  At least IMHO. although others may disagree.

To find all the threads mentioned above, use the quick and easy SEARCH TOOL.  Go to the general Other Mediterranean Ports forum, (not a specific thread) and input either Dubrovnik or Split into the empty search box under your username, and hit the little spyglass, after which all threads containing that name will appear ready for you to read..  Repeat the process with the other name.

Split is equally easy to DIY, even easier as it is only a 10 or 15 minute level walk to the area around the palace and The Riva promenade.and there is plenty to see there too.

Lovely that you have both on your itinerary.

Thanks for your reply, all very good info!

Yes, i've searched and see a lot of older posts.... i was looking for more recent experiences. Also, a lot of the posts cover DIY experiences and not many that talk about taking private excursions which is what i'm specifically looking for in Split. I think in Dubrovnik we will probably DIY in town, walk and explore.

What i'm also looking for is whether my idea in Split will work - to spend the first part of the day on the water (sounds like several hour tours) then return to town and have plenty of time to walk around and see some of the city sights.

We're very excited for our introductory visit to both Greece and Croatia on this cruise!

2 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

We were in Split (and Dubrovnik, but I'll concentrate my comments on Split) a couple of weeks ago.  We took an inexpensive walking tour with the ship.  Perhaps it was because the guide was so good, but I am certain that we gained a huge amount from that guide.  Our experience of the town would have been much inferior if we had attempted a DIY walk.  When we spoke to others in the evening that had DIY'd, it was clear that they had missed much of both the physical detail and the astonishingly deep history of the place.

I traveled with this book. In the morning I took an included walking tour. In the afternoon I used this book to seek out all of the detail that the morning tour missed.

Diocletian's Palace, Split: Residence of a Retired Roman Emperor by Wilkes, J. J. (1993) Paperback: Wilkes, J. J.: 9780952107309: Amazon.com: Books

Everyone is different. I realize most people do not do the amount of reading and research in advance that I do, but I have only in a few cases found guides on basic tours have knowledge that exceeds mine. (In fact I often find they are passing along old/outdated info and are not aware of new findings!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

. i was looking for more recent experiences.

Now is still quite early in the season so the more recent threads and posts might relate to last year rather than this year..  Until the number of cruise calls increase as the season progresses and more pax return, the ones you can read on the CC board may the best at this time..  You could try looking at  websites such as Tripadvisor as there may be more current reviews available for both your ports. And visitors who were on land trips may have been more tempted to book boat tours and posted their reviews which would help you decide on an operator.

I think fewer cruise pax would book a boat trip as both your calls are to towns which are in close proximity to docking locations, and both offer many options for DIY sightseeing, especially on a first visit.

TIP

The most recent change in Croatia in general, is that their currency is no longer the kuna, as since January 1st  this year they have adopted the euro.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first time you visit these cities you will have a much greater appreciation of what you are seeing if you have the time to read some books that explain the history of the place, or take a guided tour. Without that, you won't know what you are looking at. We aren't taught much about European history in US schools. The guided tours taught me at least a little bit about how the Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman empires shaped these and other Mediterranean cities and their fortifications. 19th and 20th century wars had a big impact on Croatian cities, too.

On subsequent visits you can have a more leisurely and possibly more enjoyable experience if you go on your own and explore all the shops and restaurants on the side streets of the ancient walled city centers. The excursions don't usually allow enough time for that. We plan to repeat the Viking cruise, "Italy, the Adriatic, and Greece", to explore on our own.

Edited by jc522
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 10:58 AM, ajtaylor29 said:

What i'm also looking for is whether my idea in Split will work - to spend the first part of the day on the water (sounds like several hour tours) then return to town and have plenty of time to walk around and see some of the city sights.

We're very excited for our introductory visit to both Greece and Croatia on this cruise!

Maybe someone else can advise on this, but I don't know that you will see much of interest from the water. Tripadvisor.com lists a couple of on-water sites that don't look much different than things you can see in the Caribbean. The interior of Diocletian's Palace and the waterfront are the main attractions. You can easily spend most of a day exploring the shops and relaxing at cafes on the palace's side streets and on the waterfront.

14 hours ago, jc522 said:

Maybe someone else can advise on this, but I don't know that you will see much of interest from the water. Tripadvisor.com lists a couple of on-water sites that don't look much different than things you can see in the Caribbean. The interior of Diocletian's Palace and the waterfront are the main attractions. You can easily spend most of a day exploring the shops and relaxing at cafes on the palace's side streets and on the waterfront.

Thanks for the feedback, good thoughts.

Here's part of my dilemma - My DH and i are 60-something couple who cruise a lot and usually know exactly what we like to do in each port. This cruise is a family affair - we are taking our 2 adult sons (who both cruised with us when they were teenagers) and our 2 DIL's who have never been on a cruise and one's never been to Europe!

I am the cruise director for this family cruise so i'm feeling some stress in trying to figure out what they each may want to do!! (It's going to be a great time i know, but i'll admit it's easier when it's just the 2 of us!) I've tried to encourage them all to do some research and go off on their own if they want to, however they all seem content to leave it up to me and DH to make all the plans and they'll go along with whatever we come up with!!

I'm trying to mix in historical and local walking tours with some fun (read - water) activities, so I thought Split might be a good place to see some of those beautiful beaches.

This is exactly why i've asked here for feedback, and truly appreciate everyone's comments. I'll figure it out (and try to remember to come back here and update this thread for the next cruise planners to access!)

Dubrovnik and Split are 2 of my favourite cities in Europe, and i've been to each 2 or 3 times.

Personally I love just wandering around, and taking in the atmosphere, but I know a lot of people like to have a guide to hear all the historical information. 

For Dubrovnik I would recommend walking the city walls, taking the cable car and/or the taking the 15 minute ferry trip to Lokrum island. Lokrum is much quieter with gardens, wild rabbits and swimming spots. 

Split is a lovely maze of pretty pedestrian streets you can enjoy getting lost in, obviously seeing the Diocletian's Palace on the way. The waterfront area sometimes has market stalls, and it's worth walking up to the city view point on Marjan hill.
If you are only in Split for a day I honestly would explore the city, rather than going to a beach. But if you want to go to an island with beaches Brac would probably be best, and it's about an hour on the ferry (a smaller private boat may be slower or quicker) 

If you like what you see in the 2 days you could consider a small boat cruise that spends a week exploring the smaller islands of Croatia. I've done those twice, and the islands are all stunning. 

• Thanks 1

I have just come off a cruise that included Dubrovnik.  We had visited this port in September 2019.  The place was heaving but we enjoyed walking the walls and wandering around the town.  This time it was still busy but not heaving.    We have DIYed each time.  I do a bit of research on the history of each port (nothing heavy, just watching you tubes).   When I am on vacation I do not want to stand in the sun and listen to someone give a history lecture.  

We decided not to repeat the walls (I think that they open at around 9 am), this time we went up the cable car and took in the views.  It was easy and worth it.   There were buggies parked there for a buggy safari, no idea about cost.  I know that it would have been something my 30 year olds would have liked which is why I took a photo.  We then wandered around the town which has Kodak moments around every turn.   We also found the little beach beside the old town where they were doing sea DA84AB8F-4979-4873-95DB-219BFAE54C99.thumb.jpeg.205e5606e7bed0cdfd6d8a848a202dff.jpegA0FF6973-F29C-473F-9D12-B4EC0C9D6E71.thumb.jpeg.0dc0ca7c77ac6550d19a1d4c3d9f6fef.jpeg1134F0EF-D049-44FE-B06D-450CA449B4E8.thumb.jpeg.9e14e8c82bf8740ec3e229f7f463fd7a.jpeg
kayaking.  

Just FYI, the ship charged $15 per person for a return use of the shuttle.  At the port I took a picture of a notice that taxis charged 14 euro for the single journey and 50 euro for a panorama tour.  This would be a more economical way of you getting your larger group around - e.g. at 7 am you might find a taxi to give you a 2 hour panorama tour and drop you off in town when you could walk the walls and wander around the old town.    You could get a taxi back, you can ask about location of taxi ranks at the tourist info at Pile Gate.  

The strange thing is when we got back to the port I am convinced the same notice said that the route to the old town was 16 euro !!  

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

So, @ajtaylor29 - curious as to what you ended up doing in Split. I'm starting to firm up some of our plans and looking for a variety of things to do. I'm noticing several private tours related to the islands and boat tours to get to them, including snorkeling. But, not sure if April weather is really snorkeling weather. Since our cruise is a longer one, we'll be seeing a lot of churches, ruins, and other major historical sites. It might be nice to mix it up a little bit.

15 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

So, @ajtaylor29 - curious as to what you ended up doing in Split. I'm starting to firm up some of our plans and looking for a variety of things to do. I'm noticing several private tours related to the islands and boat tours to get to them, including snorkeling. But, not sure if April weather is really snorkeling weather. Since our cruise is a longer one, we'll be seeing a lot of churches, ruins, and other major historical sites. It might be nice to mix it up a little bit.

We ended up doing what my instincts told me to do and had a great day! I booked a 1/2 day Blue Lagoon/Trogir private boat tour thru Viator. The boat crew were super nice, took us first to Trogir where we walked around for about an hour and got something to eat. Then we went to 2 different beaches which were both beautiful! The water was a little chilly for me (late September), but most of our group did swim and i enjoyed sitting in a lounge chair on the beach. The time spent on the speedboat was worth it too just seeing the beautiful landscapes around us! After the tour finished we still had a couple of hours to explore Split, see the Palace, shop a bit.

It was a great day!

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, ajtaylor29 said:

We ended up doing what my instincts told me to do and had a great day! I booked a 1/2 day Blue Lagoon/Trogir private boat tour thru Viator. The boat crew were super nice, took us first to Trogir where we walked around for about an hour and got something to eat. Then we went to 2 different beaches which were both beautiful! The water was a little chilly for me (late September), but most of our group did swim and i enjoyed sitting in a lounge chair on the beach. The time spent on the speedboat was worth it too just seeing the beautiful landscapes around us! After the tour finished we still had a couple of hours to explore Split, see the Palace, shop a bit.

It was a great day!

Hope this helps!

Thanks! Yeah, we'll be there in late April, so I wouldn't be in the water for sure. LOL! I just read some things about the speedboats too, that it's a bit of a rough ride for some people. But thanks for sharing! I'll keep looking and reading so we can decide what to do. My husband wants to try some fishing somewhere too. LOL!

• Like 1