Short Tour of Rome Colosseum/Forum

Travel To Be Free

Does anyone know of a tour company who does a "Very Brief" tour of the Colosseum and Forum areas?   I have been through one of the longer tours and am now going with family in August, which will be warm.  I'm trying to find a tour that may just point out highlights and not go into long explanations of what buildings may have looked like, etc.  In fact, are you able to get tickets to do this on your own?

3 hours ago, Travel To Be Free said:

In fact, are you able to get tickets to do this on your own?

Yes-- you can of course visit on your own. I believe they sell combination tickets that include both the Colosseum and Forum. It's been since 2018 since I was there so I'm not sure if they are timed or not. Our hotel concierge took care of getting them for us but I'm sure someone has a website. 

16 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Yes-- you can of course visit on your own. I believe they sell combination tickets that include both the Colosseum and Forum. It's been since 2018 since I was there so I'm not sure if they are timed or not. Our hotel concierge took care of getting them for us but I'm sure someone has a website. 

About how long did it take you to go through?   Did you use a headset or a map?   

10 hours ago, Travel To Be Free said:

About how long did it take you to go through?   Did you use a headset or a map?   

I don't believe the tickets you buy to visit on your own include any map or headset.  Perhaps a map, but I didn't bother picking one up.  You could bring your own guide book to read if desired.  I would allow at least 45 minutes (excluding any wait in line) to visit the Colosseum and 60 minutes to leisurely walk thru the Forum. 

6 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I don't believe the tickets you buy to visit on your own include any map or headset.  Perhaps a map, but I didn't bother picking one up.  You could bring your own guide book to read if desired.  I would allow at least 45 minutes (excluding any wait in line) to visit the Colosseum and 60 minutes to leisurely walk thru the Forum. 

Are the tickets purchased on the Colosseum’s direct site for a timed entrance, skip the line?  If so, do the run close to schedule?

10 minutes ago, Travel To Be Free said:

Are the tickets purchased on the Colosseum’s direct site for a timed entrance, skip the line?  If so, do the run close to schedule?

Unless you're buying a guided tour, I'm pretty certain the tickets are not timed.  You are given one entrance to the Colosseum and one entrance to the Forum.  I believe it can be over a 2-day period.  It used to be, at least.  With advance tickets, you do not need to stand in the line to purchase tickets.  HOWEVER, everyone stands in a different line to pass thru security, which can slow you down a bit.  But it's unavoidable.

Tickets to the Colosseum are timed, and very difficult to get, so make sure you know the timing of when they go on sale. There's a brand new post pinned at the top of the Rome forum on TripAdvisor that explains everything really well. If they include access to the Forum, that is not timed. OP, you can get tickets that include an audioguide at the Colosseum, or and Audiovideo guide. Not sure about the Forum for an official audioguide, but Rick Steves has one. 

20 minutes ago, fishiecrackers said:

Tickets to the Colosseum are timed, and very difficult to get, so make sure you know the timing of when they go on sale. There's a brand new post pinned at the top of the Rome forum on TripAdvisor that explains everything really well. If they include access to the Forum, that is not timed. OP, you can get tickets that include an audioguide at the Colosseum, or and Audiovideo guide. Not sure about the Forum for an official audioguide, but Rick Steves has one. 

So the tour operators that sell visits buy them ahead of time in bulk?   Do you know of a good SHORT tour of just the Colosseum that may have exact entry times?  Also, what time of day is best to visit?   

1 hour ago, Travel To Be Free said:

So the tour operators that sell visits buy them ahead of time in bulk?   Do you know of a good SHORT tour of just the Colosseum that may have exact entry times?  Also, what time of day is best to visit?   

I haven't been yet, but I believe this info is correct: Tour operators have to get on and buy them in real time just like normal people. This is why the people on TripAdvisor often advise against getting private tours, because private companies are selling tickets they *assume* they will get, but your tour can be cancelled if they don't get the tickets. 

I don't know of a good short tour, but my understanding is the signage of the Colosseum is sufficient for explaining what you are seeing, and an audioguide can help, and there is no need for a tour. For the Forum, your best bet is probably doing a private tour so they can customize it to your time preferences.

The earlier, the better for beating crowds and heat if you are going in the summer. There are also evening tickets (as late as 5:30pm), and that's probably second best.