What's the one thing I'm going to forget to bring?

mooline

In just over a month, we're headed out to Hawaii to cruise on POA...

Haven't cruised in the last 6 years! So, what's the one thing I'm going to forget to bring?  😄

Edited by mooline

When our flights require leaving home before full sunlight, it’s always a hat or sunglasses.   

I used to have a few things that were small but oft forgotten, so now I have a set of those items that “live” in my suitcase.  Deck of cards, toothbrush, toothpaste, magnifying mirror, hairbrush, pen and multi dangle charging cord and block.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mooline said:

Haven't cruised in the last 6 years! So, what's the one thing I'm going to forget to bring?  😄

If this were me I'd remember it once I was too far from home to go back and get it.  🙂 

• Like 1

Mouthwash.  I didn't want to pack my travel bottles, and thought it would be just easier to buy onboard.  NOT.  The shop did not have any and I didn't have time to buy any in port.  At least I didn't t run out of toothpaste

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Mouthwash.  I didn't want to pack my travel bottles, and thought it would be just easier to buy onboard.  NOT.  The shop did not have any and I didn't have time to buy any in port.  At least I didn't t run out of toothpaste

For future planning you can get non-liquid mouthwash, Listerine does a couple and Lush cosmetics have some too, Lush also do tablet form toothpaste. Just in case you're bumping up against your liquids limits if traveling by air with carry-on only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hawaii cruise is super causal, so don't over pack as you won't need it!  But bring lots of shorts and T-shirts as pop up showers happen often and you will get wet!

Yes, bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, refillable water bottles for when you are off ship. Zip lock bags to pack your wet clothes and swim suits for going home

I agree with the post about "patience and empathy" for the hard working crew, we found the crew on The POA to be funny and friendly when we would approach them, always willing to help and smile!

• Like 1

Tylenol or advil in case you get a headache, etc. I am prone to get sinus headaches, especially in changes of weather. If you have  sinus issues like I do or have allergies you might want to take Sudafed and Mucinex.  The ship does not sell a lot of over-the-counter medicines.

• Like 1

Just now, curlstravel said:

Tylenol or advil in case you get a headache, etc. I am prone to get sinus headaches, especially in changes of weather. If you have  sinus issues like I do or have allergies you might want to take Sudafed and Mucinex.  The ship does not sell a lot of over-the-counter medicines.

Good advice, and I also bring a can of saline nasal spray so I can do sinus rinses. I think the can is too big for carry-on luggage, in case you're not checking a bag for your flight.

• Like 1

I tend to hyperfocus on passports, medications, cash and multiple credit cards and let my packing list cover the rest.  When I get in the car to head to the airport, I only confirm that everybody has passports and medication.

Seriously, start and maintain a cruise packing list.  When it fails to include something this trip, add it for the next trip.  Do this a few iterations and you don't need to stress out over what to pack.  I've done this for years and literally have not forgotten anything. Of course, the unforeseen can occur, which cash and credit cards will likely cover.😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eileeshb said:

For future planning you can get non-liquid mouthwash, Listerine does a couple and Lush cosmetics have some too, Lush also do tablet form toothpaste. Just in case you're bumping up against your liquids limits if traveling by air with carry-on only.

funny you mention that, I just found some Listerine Breath Stirs in a piece of carry on.

• Like 1

OTC meds. I got Covid on my last cruise and nasal spray and fever reducer gave me life. Along with masks for when I had to be around people. 

I also sometimes forget sunglasses when I leave early in the morning. 

My running packing list has been great, and I tweak it as things come up. Things like waterproof phone case, magnet hooks, laundry bag, collapsible bins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Good advice, and I also bring a can of saline nasal spray so I can do sinus rinses. I think the can is too big for carry-on luggage, in case you're not checking a bag for your flight.

I went hunting for saline nasal spray at my local pharmacy here once and it wasn’t easy to come by, then! But now it’s top of the advice list from doctors here as part of the routine to deal with hay fever.  
I always got dry sinuses from long haul flights but having worn the face mask last time it reduced it massively. 

Also bring some basic first aid supplies, I tripped and skinned a knee in Tortola and by pure fluke I had some dressing and tape in my bag for other reasons, and used hand sanitizer as antiseptic. Bringing things that can double up for non-obvious uses is a good way to cover eventualities, like my hand sanitizer. 

A stand by for us going to Mexico is Immodium and my husband can't leave home without BioFreeze. Also, I always need some sort of lip balm.

Edited by depplep
Addition
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mooline said:

A sleep aide. It will be critical to get over the 6 hour time difference if you are going to enjoy your cruise. Else you will be falling asleep in your dinner soup and wandering the ship at 2 am for the rest of the night. 

• Like 1