Vegan GF on Celebrity

ksettle70

Hello 👋 !!!

I hear great things about how helpful Celebrity staff are with diets. I am cruising in June on Summit to Bahamas. First cruise in 20 years. I am concerned about being able to eat in a way that doesn't make me sick to my tummy. I am vegan, by choice, and gluten intolerant, by necessity. I am also sensitive to many cooking oils. So I eat mostly whole food and plant based with little to no oil. (WFPBNO).

I would appreciate any meals, restaurant or suggestions how to handle this. I asked the young man when I called, but he had me explain vegan so I am nervous. 🤷‍♀️

TIA!!

• Like 1

if you plan on eating in the dining room, the first day speak with one of the chefs and they will make meals for you based on your needs. I did this on our first Celebrity cruise. Then I discovered it was so much easier to go to the buffet because everything is labeled, and I can pick what I want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ksettle70 said:

Hello 👋 !!!

I hear great things about how helpful Celebrity staff are with diets. I am cruising in June on Summit to Bahamas. First cruise in 20 years. I am concerned about being able to eat in a way that doesn't make me sick to my tummy. I am vegan, by choice, and gluten intolerant, by necessity. I am also sensitive to many cooking oils. So I eat mostly whole food and plant based with little to no oil. (WFPBNO).

I would appreciate any meals, restaurant or suggestions how to handle this. I asked the young man when I called, but he had me explain vegan so I am nervous. 🤷‍♀️

TIA!!

As a non vegan with celiac, I think the buffet will be your best bet.  Almost all the MDR vegan dishes have wheat or barley somewhere in them.  I paid attention because I always hoped something might be an option for me.  Nope.  Most soups are beef or chicken broth based.  Rarely vegetable broth.  Your food choices will be limited. 

• Like 2

Vegan, gluten free, and avoiding cooking oils - you will definitely challenge the chefs but in my experience they will do their best to try to accommodate you.  I am allergic to dairy and a few years ago thought I needed to be completely gluten free so I have some experience with Celebrity and dietary restrictions.  

Let them know ahead of time.  Eat as many meals as possible in the MDR.  If you can arrange to have fixed dining (early or late), it will make it easier as you will have the same wait staff.  (It can be done even with anytime.  It's just a bit easier with fixed.). That first night talk to the head waiter for your section.  They will have you pre-order your meals for the next day.  Make sure to remind them about breakfast and sea day lunches, if you plan to eat those meals in the MDR so you can pre-order for those meals too.

For any meals you eat in the buffet, ask to talk to the head waiter in charge of the buffet and they will help you find things you can eat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My experience being a vegan and sailing on X, is that wherever I dine, I can construct the menu to my liking and needs/desires.

I Am a low-fat vegan and there has been very few issues IME....

Let X Special Services know before you board and once on board, let the Maître d' know and then your wait staff in the MDR... 

You can get the next nights menu in advance and then construct your meal from there... This is not to say that there will not be a foul up here and there, yes, there could be and as such I Am vigilant until I feel comfortable that all is working okay... in the kitchen.

Same for Specialty Dining, they will talk to the MDR kitchen about what to prepare if you do not provide them an idea of what is good...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 2

My husband has coeliac disease and my daughters are vegan so we eat vegan and gf at home. On our Apex cruise last year the waitstaff and chefs were very accommodating but my husband didn’t eat as many vegan dishes in the MDR as he would have liked. He ate more red meat on the cruise than he had done in a long time. Many of the vegan options do have wheat\barley in them but in truth, the chef will make you whatever you want. One night, our girls did not like what was on the vegan menu and they requested a lentil Dahl. Don’t be afraid to ask - they will work with you especially if you order one day ahead.

The “special” gf dessert was usually the same as our daughters,  so obviously vegan too.

In the OV cafe there was a vegan corner with 2 dishes and more often than not these were gluten free. Just double check the labelling, as one day a Moroccan couscous dish was labelled as gf and of course isn’t. My husband had no problem    eating  in the buffet at lunch.

The biggest issue for us is finding somewhere vegan and gf to eat off the ship, while in port. Normally we can find one or the other but not both. It’s the same on land - part of the reason we cruise. Mealtimes on a land based trip can be quite stressful. We find cruises are the best for accommodating our dietary needs.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

My experience being a vegan and sailing on X, is that wherever I dine, I can construct the menu to my liking and needs/desires.

I Am a low-fat vegan and there has been very few issues IME....

Let X Special Services know before you board and once on board, let the Maître d' know and then your wait staff in the MDR... 

You can get the next nights menu in advance and then construct your meal from there... This is not to say that there will not be a foul up here and there, yes, there could be and as such I Am vigilant until I feel comfortable that all is working okay... in the kitchen.

Same for Specialty Dining, they will talk to the MDR kitchen about what to prepare if you do not provide them an idea of what is good...

bon appetit and bon voyage

Bo Knows Vegan.☺️

• Haha 2