Military OBC?

hmorrow

2 hours ago, hmorrow said:

Does Oceania offer military OBC, like it's parent company Norwegian does?

I'm a veteran (USAF), but not aware of any such promo or credit.

And do keep in mind that we have the following "military": (1) active duty, (2) retired, and (3) veteran (not retired). I'm #3, my son #1 currently (eventually to be #2 in a few years).

US Army. Airborne Ranger. Still secret stuff.

Nope! No OBC based on service. 

We veterans make up a decreasingly small portion of the population. Proud of my service, but expect little in recognition when we veterans are such a tiny slice of the population. Life goes on! In the coming years, we Vietnam vets will be as past history as Buddy Holly! Who! 🍷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vietnam Combat Vet1968/69.

About 2.7 million men and women served in the Vietnam combat theater during the 11 years of the war. The Disabled American Veterans Organization estimates there are fewer the 580,000 still alive. Those being at least in their mid 60’s with the median age of 74.  Many of us still suffer from PTSD and/or health issues from exposure to Agent Orange.  I have attended a number of Veteran get togethers on Oceania cruises over the years and in the beginning there were a few Korean War Vets in attendance but that is no longer true.

On Serena in mid January through February I and CD’s Dotty and Gary put together a total of 4 get togethers which were well attended.  A number of Vietnam Combat and Vietnam-era Vets and other Veterans with service up to the present.  These also included a number of men and women Combat Vets from the Iraq and Afghan wars.  

Edited by RetiredLifer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

US Army. Airborne Ranger. Still secret stuff.

Nope! No OBC based on service. 

We veterans make up a decreasingly small portion of the population. Proud of my service, but expect little in recognition when we veterans are such a tiny slice of the population. Life goes on! In the coming years, we Vietnam vets will be as past history as Buddy Holly! Who! 🍷

Yes

my husband is a Vietnam vet…,

16 hours ago, hmorrow said:

Does Oceania offer military OBC, like it's parent company Norwegian does?

Hopefully not.

Norwegian's military discounts are restricted to American serving personnel and veterans, so is inherently very discriminatory against military personnel amongst the company's customers from other countries. I think my late father in law, an avid cruiser and a veteran British Army regular soldier would have been offended by such a crass policy. And he'd have been right to be offended.

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Hopefully not.

Norwegian's military discounts are restricted to American serving personnel and veterans, so is inherently very discriminatory against military personnel amongst the company's customers from other countries. I think my late father in law, an avid cruiser and a veteran British Army regular soldier would have been offended by such a crass policy. And he'd have been right to be offended.

Some people just wake up every day looking to be offended!

What about Wagner Group veterans. They served their country!🙄 Guess they should be offended also! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Harters said:

...military personnel amongst the company's customers from other countries. I think my late father in law, an avid cruiser and a veteran British Army regular soldier...

I self-hosted our Veterans meet & greet on Sirena 11/2022. We had about 25 veterans. Including some Canadians. And the one that sticks in my mind: An Israeli soldier captured by the Egyptians on the last day of the 1973 Yom Kippur War. We didn't have anyone from Australia or the UK.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

ome people just wake up every day looking to be offended!

And some wake up looking to make the most stupid of remarks. You take first prize today. Congratulations.

38 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

self-hosted our Veterans meet & greet

The FiL only ever cruised with P & O, but he'd have loved such an event. On one cruise there was confusion with another passenger over signing for a bar bill - they shared the same surname. Turned out he was a Royal Air Force veteran. They became firm friends and, from then on, generally booked the same cruises.

Lee was very proud of the years he spent in the army and, although never a member of the British Legion, it offered to parade for him at his funeral. So, a small party accompanied his coffin from the chapel to the graveside and lowered banners for a minute's silence. They also arranged for a bugler to play Last Post. It was incredibly moving.

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

All i really want from Oceania is their continuing support and assistance in putting together non hosted, informal Veteran get together(s).  As far as I’m concerned, they need do nothing more. So far all the CD’s have been great in that regard. All have done at least “a check in” to see that all is going well. CD Paul Baya spent the whole time with us for the two get togethers which he put together under his  watch. My guess, based on past get togethers, is that between four and five percent of the passengers are Veterans from various countries.  Harters, your father in law would have enjoyed one of my very favorite get togethers which was on the Marina in 2019 when we had multiple men and women Vets from 5 different countries.  

As a veteran, all I ask is the opportunity to occasionally meet and interact with a fellow Vet (which Oceania helps me do). That and an occasional “Thank you for your service” and I am just fine.  The rest is between my government and me.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RetiredLifer said:

...CD Paul Baya spent the whole time with us for the two get togethers which he put together under his  watch....

Yes, Paul hosted the Veterans Meet & Greet on Riviera 12/2021. He remembered all of our names in reverse order after we'd introduced ourselves. His "memory ability".

Paul also hosted the Meet and Greet on the January 31 Riviera cruise.  His 'memory ability" impressed all 15 to 20 attendees.  Paul will be the initial CD on Vista and I look forward to seeing him again on the September New York to Montreal Vista cruise.

1 hour ago, RetiredLifer said:

All i really want from Oceania is their continuing support and assistance in putting together non hosted, informal Veteran get together(s).  As far as I’m concerned, they need do nothing more. So far all the CD’s have been great in that regard.

They have done the  meetings  at least since we started sailing with O in 2004  so I cannot see them changing  now

But you never know

Harters, your father in law would have enjoyed........

He would have loved that. He was always an internationalist and enjoyed meeting and working with folk from different countries during his time in uniform. The Harters family has a fair history of military service, although not necesarily voluntarily. My older cousin was amongst the last ones to be conscripted (conscription was scrapped in the early 1960s). Dad served in India  throughout WW2. And I know of several family members who served in the Great War - two great uncles were killed in action. I've visited both graves - one in France, the other in Belgium. Grandad served from January 1915 till 1919.

The nearest I've come to anything military is that, in real life, my second career was as a military history researcher and author (four published books on aspects of the Great War).

48 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

All i really want from Oceania is their continuing support and assistance in putting together non hosted, informal Veteran get together(s).  As far as I’m concerned, they need do nothing more. So far all the CD’s have been great in that regard.

They have done the  meetings  at least since we started sailing with O in 2004  so I cannot see them changing  now

But you never know

I have been on cruises where there have been no meetings, I have been on cruises where the CD, on his/her own initiative, scheduled a meeting and I have been on cruises where Vets like MEFIowa or myself request a meeting be put together which would not have otherwise have happened.  A Veteran’s get together is not an every Oceania cruise SOP item like many of the meetings that happen on every cruise. Someone has to initiate it.

Anyway, my point was not that I was afraid they may stop doing the meetings altogether (I see little or no chance of that) but rather my point was that if that is all they do as it concerns Vets, that’s okay with me.

20 minutes ago, RetiredLifer said:

I have been on cruises where there have been no meetings, I have been on cruises where the CD, on his/her own initiative, scheduled a meeting and I have been on cruises where Vets like MEFIowa or myself request a meeting be put together which would not have otherwise have happened.  A Veteran’s get together is not an every Oceania cruise SOP item like many of the meetings that happen on every cruise. Someone has to initiate it.

Anyway, my point was not that I was afraid they may stop doing the meetings altogether (I see little or no chance of that) but rather my point was that if that is all they do as it concerns Vets, that’s okay with me.

I think you had to ask for them to hold the space &  comment in the Currents

Just saying on our cruises with O there always seemed to be one  along with other groups

It is  nice that they do have them  for those  people to get together

Like Friends of Bill & others

But  we are way off the topic of discounts 😉

3 hours ago, hmorrow said:

I think your reply was borderline rude.

My post #8 or post #11?

Former wasnt intended to be rude to you at all but was an accurate reflection of my take on that subject. The latter towards the the other poster was certainly intentional

Guest ldtr
On 5/4/2023 at 11:05 AM, Harters said:

Hopefully not.

Not unlike P&O UK which does not provide the benefit to US vets. Each line gets to choose who the credit applies to.

15 hours ago, Harters said:

My post #8 or post #11?

Former wasnt intended to be rude to you at all but was an accurate reflection of my take on that subject. The latter towards the the other poster was certainly intentional

I was talking about the latter, but since you mention it, both.

so unnecessary.

no need to reply. I’d turn off comments, if I could, but I don’t have that option.🤷🏼‍♀️

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Not unlike P&O UK which does not provide the benefit to US vets.

I didnt know they offered such a benefit. It must be a relatively recent thing as I know my FiL would have taken advantage of it had it been available. But my comments about discrimination would apply equally to them.

3 hours ago, hmorrow said:

I’d turn off comments, if I could, but I don’t have that option.

No worries. 👍

I think forums which have an "ignore" feature can be very helpful for contributors, although it's best if used sparingly - and preferably without telling the person that you are "ignoring" them. That way they don't know if they are being "ignored" (and you havent seen their remarks) or ignored (and you have). FWIW, there's no-one on CC that I would choose to "ignore" - it's a comparitively friendly, helpful forum - but, of course, each to their own. 😀

• Haha 1