Sydney to Aukland or Aukland to Sydney

Either direction. The seas in the Tasman usually have a southerly swell in rough weather, and you will be cruising across it.

Drake Passage has a reputation of being as rough as it can get, but not something I have done. Seas in the Tasman can be 10 metres and beyond, but ships have more options with an altered itinerary to avoid the worst of the conditions. I am not aware of any cruise ship transiting through anything rougher than 8 metre seas for several years.

I don't think the Tasman would be anything like as rough as the Drake passage can be. I've crossed the Tasman on a number of occassions and it's never been a big deal (although people will tell me it can be rougher and they are correct but in half a dozen or more return crossings I've never had a problem).

If you can wait another 10 months to hear a first hand comparison of the Tasman and the Drake passage, I will report back to you then after I've been to Antarctica!

Edited by LittleFish1976

I have done both the Drakes Passage and the Tasman (several times both directions) and certainly the Drakes Passage wins hands down for being rough. In terms of which direction has the rougher seas, both are much or a muchness and I have never noted any difference.

17 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

In which direction are you more likely to have rougher seas?   And how rough?  How does it compare to the Drake Passage?

A bit of homework for you to keep track of. I wouldn't like to be crossing the Tasman in either direction next week. Weather Bureau Wave Forecast maps:

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml?type=sigWaveHgt&tz=AEDT&area=SEAu&model=CGW&chartSubmit=Refresh+View