Ships with Libraries??

Does anyone know which ships still have libraries on them? On a recent Radiance sailing I saw that they do not have a library onboard, rather a small nook that has books in it within the coffee bar. Any help is appreciated!

If I may piggy-back.  Hubby always has books he reads.  We always just leave them in the room on the counter for the steward (figured they would dispose of or be able to recycle).

Is it Ok to just put these in the library ourselves when done, or is that frowned upon?

We usually sail on the Spirit Class ships. They have a bookshelf in the game room/library where you can take a book and leave a book. Some of the books have a Carnival book tag in them. Those I read and leave on the ship before I go. I always travel with some paperbacks and save books I have read to leave on those shelves. As soon as I get my suitcase unpacked, I go donate those books to the library shelf. The room they leave in my suitcase gets filled with souvenirs.  Every once in a while a book will have a message on the first page from the person who left it-like, “Bon Voyage” or “Happy Reading and Cruising!” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wemjam said:

If I may piggy-back.  Hubby always has books he reads.  We always just leave them in the room on the counter for the steward (figured they would dispose of or be able to recycle).

Is it Ok to just put these in the library ourselves when done, or is that frowned upon?

I'm sure placing books you've finished in the library would be much preferable to leaving them for your cabin steward to deal with.  

• Like 3

The older the ship, the larger the library.  The largest library for me was on the Holiday class, and next the Fantasy class.  Splendor had a smaller but decent library.  Pride/Spirit class had a nice library but I think those have been repurposed.  That is not to say that there are many books there.  EM

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

I'm sure placing books you've finished in the library would be much preferable to leaving them for your cabin steward to deal with.  

Figured it's not real hard for them to push it into the garbage can as they pick it up off the floor to empty it if that was where it was going to end up (exactly where I would leave it).  My HOPE is that they could recycle it.  I didn't know if crew might have a place for books, or something where it could be useful.

When I started cruising (late 1990's early 2000's) one of my first stops when I got onboard was the library. Usually it was a quiet room, comfortable chairs, and a few hundred books - many in other languages. I discovered several new authors that way.

Sadly in the last few years there are fewer and fewer books in the libraries.

Sigh

Now I just bring my Kindle.

2 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

When I started cruising (late 1990's early 2000's) one of my first stops when I got onboard was the library. Usually it was a quiet room, comfortable chairs, and a few hundred books - many in other languages. I discovered several new authors that way.

Sadly in the last few years there are fewer and fewer books in the libraries.

I think part of it is that people are reading " real" books less often..using tablets instead. we were just on the Panorama and the library was being used for the dumb art auction most of the time. 

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The older the ship, the larger the library.  The largest library for me was on the Holiday class, and next the Fantasy class.  Splendor had a smaller but decent library.  Pride/Spirit class had a nice library but I think those have been repurposed.  That is not to say that there are many books there.  EM

We were on the Miracle in January. The game room used to have 2 cabinets dedicated to books. Now one of the cabinets is for games and the other one is for books.