Shows? Pretty upset

it's a normal thing for the big Oasis class ships. They hold out reservations for onboard booking. I understand you can book once you get onboard or on the app once you log into the ship's wifi (not the paid version, you can connect to use the app). 

I was on the Allure two weeks ago.

They were scanning SeaPass cards at the door to ensure that those with reservations got to enter the theater.

That said, Sunday's (Day 1) late show (that I attended) was lightly attended. My wife was falling asleep and left at intermission. We went back to see act 2 on Monday night's late show and the theater was full.

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

They hold spot for those who want to book onboard, but do it as one of the 1st things you do once on the ship.  If all else fails they do have standby lines for all the shows.  Can't remember exact timing of when standbys are let in but often most of the line, if not all, gets in.  The only exception is the comedy show as that is the smallest venue.  

We did this on the Allure just in Feb.  As soon as we got on board, we opened the app, and reserved all of the shows when we wanted.  Except for the comedy show.  But we just saw the comedy show on the Harmony, and didn't find it any good.  And because of that, there were tons of walk in spaces for the show we attended.

For the most part, the comedians repeat the show for the late night comedy in the main theater late in the week.  So you can see them there.

But the rest- easy booking as soon as we got on board using the app.

26 minutes ago, jeffporfirio01 said:

How soon/early can you reserve a seat for shows?

Technically, you are reserving the ability to go in up to 45 min before the performance, and before the non-reserve line opens at 10min.    You don't get to reserve a specific seat, unless you have a Genie cabin.

30 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I believe reservations are needed for shows on all of the newer bigger ships on all lines, it would be chaos if thousands tried to do walk in’s at theaters not nearly big enough.

And yet, on Q class there typically aren't any reservations available for the show in the theater and, there's usually no chaos. You are incorrectly assuming shows are that popular and everyone will head there at the same time - it just doesn't usually happen. Pretty sure there's no chaos going into Cats.

OP has valid points - but, are these "shows" really worth the time? On our last cruise (AOS) they had....a JUGGLER. Imagine that. Not a decent band, but THAT. I don't know who is behind the helm of cruise ship entertainment, but come on, get real. And this "spectra's cabinet" or whatever it is, it's been long played out. I have heard people snoring!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jlewisrn said:

I’m so frustrated. Are there more tickets available when we get on the ship? 

One thing that has not been mentioned is immediately when you board the ship go to deck 4 in front of the Attic (Comedy/Nightclub venue).... or upon stepping into the Promenade immediately ask a staff member where the Show reservation desk is.  Normally there is a desk there with RCL staff adding show reservations for cruisers for the whole week. Also, if you are tech savvy and know the RCL app, those same shows will be available from the app the day you board.

I've recently been on both Symphony and Harmony (Jan & April 2023)  within 3 weeks last minute booking, with all shows showing "sold out" on the cruise planner, and yet I had reservation to ALL shows the day I boarded. Not only that, I attended Columbus twice, Grease twice, the water show twice... standby line was no problem finding seats within 15 min of the show starting. By the way, I only had a very late boarding check in time (2-2:30pm) because of my very late booking of the cruise, and still got all shows reserved once on board without a single issue even though most of the ship had already boarded before me.

@jlewisrnBreathe ...  relax

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jencruzin said:

OP has valid points - but, are these "shows" really worth the time? On our last cruise (AOS) they had....a JUGGLER. Imagine that. Not a decent band, but THAT. I don't know who is behind the helm of cruise ship entertainment, but come on, get real. And this "spectra's cabinet" or whatever it is, it's been long played out. I have heard people snoring!

The reservations are only for whatever Broadway show they have, the aqua theater, the skating show, and the comedy club.  Other that, there are no reservations.  So not for that juggler.

They do this because the venues are small compared to the ship, so that everyone can get a chance to see the show.  That's why Spectra's requires one, but We Will Rock You does not on the Anthem.

Edited by alfaeric
  • Thanks 1

So every once in a while, a poster comes on to these boards to complain about an item that they did not know about, but the Oasis Class ships had show reservations since the first ship came out.  I was last on one about 9 years ago, and I remember reservations were needed.  So in all those years, the poster, never read about it, or knew about it until they just posted.  

Plus it is always talked about how you can still just show up, and be in standby and mostly, you have no issues but the comedy club.

Guess the poster will just have to accept this is the way it is, try again later, and accept that they missed this info for the last decade?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Comedy club on Oasis class is FREE

No need to stress 

Reservations are required, but I have always seen a standby Q (line)

And you have always had to reserve shows on Oasis and Quantum class

It is the norm, and has been for many years.

Happy Days!

Just another reason to stress about sailing on the ships that can accommodate 5000+ passengers.

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

On some ships you always needed to reserve shows. For example Comedy show. For this show reservations are very important as venue is small. If you do not book let's say main show like Mamma Mia (on Oasis or Quantum class) you can just show up and there will be a space as theater is large and people already have been watching it for many years so repeaters are likely to show up. I think they even removed reservations for those (but not for two70 shows like Spectra's cabaret).

Don't know emoji - Emoji - Sticker | TeePublic

7 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Just another reason to stress about sailing on the ships that can accommodate 5000+ passengers.

On Harmony and it’s really not that big of a deal…pre cruise stress is not needed

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

And yet, on Q class there typically aren't any reservations available for the show in the theater and, there's usually no chaos. You are incorrectly assuming shows are that popular and everyone will head there at the same time - it just doesn't usually happen. Pretty sure there's no chaos going into Cats.

No, just going out of CATS!

😁

7 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Sorry, I don't understand > Jlnx  

Pin by Kaye Findley on SMILEYS | Funny emoticons, Funny emoji faces ...

I just responded to Biker19 about the same answer you gave to me within one minute of your post, we were posting at the same time about the same  with idea the same observation: Standing room only to get out.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo

34 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Good thing they don't force people to cruise on Oasis ships, right?

The other choice is to treat the Oasis ships like the smaller ones, and just go to the headline shows- which require no reservations.

• Like 1

Just now, alfaeric said:

Good thing they don't force people to cruise on Oasis ships, right?

The other choice is to treat the Oasis ships like the smaller ones, and just go to the headline shows- which require no reservations.

All this cruising lark is just getting too stressful 🤣😂😅

I don’t know how we all cope with the intensity of stress it involves.

imagine not being able to cruise, now that’s stressful 

• Like 1