Galapagos Cruise and Ecuador Political Unrest

uspdmwg

I originally posted this in the expeditions section, but there doesn't appear to be a lot of traffic there...

We were considering a December Galapagos Cruise on either Celebrity or SilverSeas. 

Its a bucket list trip for us and something we would like to do while we are able.

Prior to booking, we did some research on Ecuador, primarily since we would like to piggyback a birding photography trip. 

Our research showed multiple travel advisories with some rather alarming wording. We would fly in and out of Quito on our own using airline points and are very concerned about potential safety issues (even worse, Silverseas would leave us in Guayaquil, which has a special advisory). 

Can anyone share their recent experiences? We have scrapped the birding portion of the trip and very hesitant even attempting the cruise portion. 

Thanks for any guidance or assistance recent travelers can share. 

M

We have been to the Galapagos 3 times over the last 15 years.  First time was Celebrity and the other two were Silversea, mostly recently fall of 2021.  I felt more uneasy the first time we were there in Quito.  There was a big political rally downtown and a lot of people and pushing etc.  Second time, I don't remember any issues and we walked around (during the day) by ourselves in Quito.  in 2021, Quito seemed fine, and we actually did a day trip from there on our own.  I wasn't a bit worried.  Guayaquil is a different story.  The hotel where Silversea puts you is right next to the red light district.  If you go out at night (do not recommend at all), there are prostitutes and drug dealers on every corner and some are quite aggressive.  We walked to the Malecon during the day as we had been there before on a Regent cruise.  That was fine.  Lots of families out, but the place takes on a whole different atmosphere at night.  If I were going today, we would just stay in the hotel probably both in Quito and Guayaquil.  But I wouldn't hesitate to go.  The Galapagos are wonderful.  

I wonder where you are coming from.    We went out to Ecuador at the beginning of March, booked our own flights and had a Silversea transfer from the airport to the hotel.  Our SS rep on the transfer asked us what we would be doing on our two extra (early arrival) days and when we said we didnt know he offered to organise a trip out for us to the top of a massive volcanic Caldera, a visit to a monument on the true Equator and following up with a visit to a humming bird conservancy garden.  This was just right for us we are not culture vultures but love the outdoors and nature. We had a fabulous day out and the humming bird garden (Alambi) was incredible.   We saw no suggestion of any unrest or political issues in Ecuador.  We then went on to Galapagos (Silver Origin), it was an amazing trip on a superb ship with the most incredible expedition team, great food and very comfortable suites.   On return to Ecuador we had cancelled our planned extension to Machu Picchu and rural Peru due to the unrest there so we flew to Barbados over the weekend and travelled across the Atlantic on the Silver Dawn.   I am not sure where you have gleaned information that suggests Ecuador is dangerous, like most of South America you need to be careful but it is not on the UK list of countries to which travel is advised against.   I wouldnt hesitate to book the trip but keep an eye on any changes.  South America is a very volatile continent but mostly fine if you are careful.  

Forgot to add--we also booked our own flights to and from Ecuador, but Silversea did the transfers from airport to and from hotel.  

The hummingbird place is truly incredible.  The hummingbirds are not captive--free to come and go as they please, but since food is left out for them, they are very happy to stay close. 

1 hour ago, labrasett said:

I am not sure where you have gleaned information that suggests Ecuador is dangerous, like most of South America you need to be careful but it is not on the UK list of countries to which travel is advised against.   I wouldnt hesitate to book the trip but keep an eye on any changes.  South America is a very volatile continent but mostly fine if you are careful.  

Well the US State Department rates Ecuador in general as level 2 advisory, with some areas higher. Having said that a great many countries have level 2 advisories, including both Spain and Argentina, both of which I have visited recently without finding them particularly alarming. AND earlier this year there were trip interruptions for people visiting Machu Picchu.

However for a Galapagos cruise I think you could be pretty well isolated from the turbulent bits.

You'll be isolated once you get out to the islands.  But being in Quito and Guayaquil is somewhat riskier.  For a trip like this, I'd stay somewhat close to the hotels and wouldn't venture out alone.

Thanks for the responses.

I apologize to those that took offense at my inquiry - it was a serious question submitted in good faith. 

The travel advisors popped up when we were researching potential pre and post trips (i.e. the various birding eco lodges). We have probably traveled to many countries with travel advisories and never know it. 

M

The birding and wildlife lodges in Ecuador are in remote areas a long way from the larger cities where most of the unrest is.They are basically safe.

Though I have to be a bit naughty and say if I was going to do another Galapagos cruise I would once again go on a 16 passenger boat and not SS. The reason is that basically 16 people at a time allowed onto various areas on the Islands so great when you can all go together. The wildlife experiences we had were better than a David Attenborough documentary.

We used this cruise operator.

https://www.luxuryandboutiquehotels.com/portfolios/haugan-cruises-galapagos-islands-ecuador/

• Like 1