Location of the TV, Ruby Princess Inside Cabin

SwimCarrie

(I know, I know, y'all jump all over me when I ask questions about the TV, but it's MY vacation, so if you have an opinion, kindly zip it. Lol.)

I'd like to know if the angle on the TV in an inside cabin means you have to crane your neck to see it. It looks like it's in the corner and not straight in front of you like on other ships and other cabins. 

Was it an issue? 

21 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

Was it an issue? 

Yes, we have been in an inside cabin on the Ruby.

No, no problem with the TV angle.

Yes, there was a problem with the cabin.

Never have a cabin next to the white space on a deck plan.

12 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I learned not to have a cabin anywhere near a white space (side, above or below) after experiencing all 3. Ah, the joys of cruising. I feel like I'm going back to slumming it in an inside since I've been spoiled as of late with balconies, but this cruise was too good to pass up and I don't want to spend $1600 more on a balcony. Going to try for an upgrade! 

1 hour ago, SwimCarrie said:

...I feel like I'm going back to slumming it in an inside since I've been spoiled as of late with balconies, but this cruise was too good to pass up and I don't want to spend $1600 more on a balcony. Going to try for an upgrade! 

Well, you didn't want an opinion previously, but now I will now tell you, that experience on the Ruby led us to never go for an inside cabin again. We are not made of money and cruise frugally. But for only a few dollars more, you can go for an Obstructed View, which you can find in the inside section of the website on Grand and Crown Class ships. Maybe Coral?  

These days, you have to pay a bit extra to select your own cabin, but if you go to cruisedeckplans.com, public section, you can see the window views, so you're not looking at the side of a lifeboat. Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Well, you didn't want an opinion previously, but now I will now tell you, that experience on the Ruby led us to never go for an inside cabin again. We are not made of money and cruise frugally. But for only a few dollars more, you can go for an Obstructed View, which you can find in the inside section of the website on Grand and Crown Class ships. Maybe Coral?  

These days, you have to pay a bit extra to select your own cabin, but if you go to cruisedeckplans.com, public section, you can see the window views, so you're not looking at the side of a lifeboat. Have a great cruise!

$400 more. I'm contemplating it. My "free" cruise is getting more expensive. 

We’ve spent over 100 days in a row in an inside cabin on the Ruby and lived to talk about how wonderful the vacation was, so you’ll survive. The TV is against the wall that forms the divider between the cabin and closet hallway. It is on the side of that wall furthest from the door. I’ve never noticed that it presents a viewing issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just off a 16 day cruise in an inside cabin.  As stated above, "The TV is against the wall that forms the divider between the cabin and closet hallway. It is on the side of that wall furthest from the door. I’ve never noticed that it presents a viewing issue. " 

Our cruise was booked as a last minute deal, so Im sure that we didnt have a lot of choices left for the cabin, but there were no issues with the cabin.

(I can recommend that a visit to the Buffet will find chips, salsa, guacamole and they usually had shrimp as well after 9pm!  Also, while I have never been a fan of peanut butter or oat meal cookies, on the Ruby, they were excellent! Unfortunately, the chocolate chip, which I am generally a fan, were not very good, especially if they were not direct from the oven).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Oh dear! What's the problem with the white space? 

8 minutes ago, 1965 said:

For the inside cabins, a corridor runs the length of the ship behind them and work, sawing, hammering, goes on all night. If adjacent, there can be a housekeeping room. They begin clanging and banging in the wee hours. Walkways, stairwells, they are all crew areas. Though the passengers are generally unaware, it's like a hospital, work goes on 24/7. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1965 said:

It is an area that is "unexplained".  It could be anything... This is classic "fear of the unknown!"  (And I'm not slamming anybody for not wanting to book a cabin like this...I wouldn't!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It is an area that is "unexplained".  It could be anything... This is classic "fear of the unknown!"  (And I'm not slamming anybody for not wanting to book a cabin like this...I wouldn't!)

We're in M235 on the Regal next year. Right next to a big ol' white space. 🫣

5 minutes ago, 1965 said:

We're in M235 on the Regal next year. Right next to a big ol' white space. 🫣

Whatever you do....don't rap on the wall 5 times.  I assume you've seen The Twilight Zone...?  You just might wake up the next morning on board....

12141303.jpeg

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We’ve spent over 100 days in a row in an inside cabin on the Ruby and lived to talk about how wonderful the vacation was, so you’ll survive. The TV is against the wall that forms the divider between the cabin and closet hallway. It is on the side of that wall furthest from the door. I’ve never noticed that it presents a viewing issue. 

I just looked and it turns out my Caribe cabin is above a white space on Dolphin deck. Thanks for mentioning that!

10 hours ago, sirclean said:

Unfortunately, the chocolate chip, which I am generally a fan, were not very good, especially if they were not direct from the oven).

Really ! That's disappointing. 

What was wrong with them? Possible over baked?

What is not often considered is that large white spaces on the deck just below the Lido Deck can be the pools from the Lido Deck above. We have found these to be among the noisiest white spaces either from rough seas with the water splashing literally next to the wall of your cabin, but also from the pool cleaning equipment, which usually starts up right on schedule in the wee hours of the morning. The pump noise, if you’re particularly unlucky to have a cabin next to the room where that is housed, is especially troublesome. 

"

What was wrong with them? Possible over baked?"

They become rock hard soon after they come out of the oven. 

I dont think that the formula that they use is all that great.  (Let's say that they are NOT the Toll House recipe!)  Even fresh out of the oven, they just dont taste all that great.  But yes, I think that overbaked is also an issue. 

But becoming rock hard is not a problem limited to only the chocolate chip ones that they bake.  I also dont think that it is unique to the Ruby.  When I was sailing on the Star, the 'rock hard' problem existed then and there too. 

1 hour ago, sirclean said:

"

What was wrong with them? Possible over baked?"

They become rock hard soon after they come out of the oven. 

I dont think that the formula that they use is all that great.  (Let's say that they are NOT the Toll House recipe!)  Even fresh out of the oven, they just dont taste all that great.  But yes, I think that overbaked is also an issue. 

But becoming rock hard is not a problem limited to only the chocolate chip ones that they bake.  I also dont think that it is unique to the Ruby.  When I was sailing on the Star, the 'rock hard' problem existed then and there too. 

That's Interesting, about the recipe.

On out last cruise I usually get one of their donuts in the morning but after trying just one, they were terrible. They were just a lump of dough coated with thick sugar and nothing like Princess use to serve in years past.

I commented to the server the next morning when one of the bakery chefs just happened to be there & he told me that they have a different recipe for those served in Sabatini's for breakfast. 

Five minutes later he came to my table with a donut he brought from the galley & asked how I like it. It was light & fluffy, just like the ones from past cruises. It's hard to believe that there could be that much savings just for a change in recipe.