FCO to City Center

jlandz09

I hate to make a whole new thread for my specific case, especially with so much good information out there already, but the pressure is on to make sure everything is smooth for the honeymoon so I figured it would be worth the ask.

We are looking for the best combination of cost-effective and comfort for our transport to Rome City Center from FCO.

-Luggage/Passengers: The two of us will have 2 large checked bags and 2 carry-ons.

-Leonardo Express: Based on pictures, these trains look a little cramped and require us to place our bags out of sight. I purchased AirTags for our bags, but obviously I’d prefer to never have to use them for this reason. Obviously this is most cost-effective.

-Private Transfer: Most comfortable for sure, but I’m having a hard time with a) Figuring out whether our luggage can fit in a sedan and b) Convincing fiancé that it’s worth the extra cost (which would obviously go even higher if we have to upgrade to a mini-van with our luggage haul). Lowest cost I could find after about a 20-minute search was 65 euros for a sedan. If anyone can beat that, please pass along the info.

-Taxi: This to me seems the best compromise. The fixed rate is easier to swallow so far than the private transfer cost. However, the sedan/mini-van conundrum still has be anxious. Are there plenty of larger taxis available or are they few and far between? Or, can we anticipate our luggage and ourselves fitting in a smaller standard sedan taxi?

-Bus: Could be an good option, but it makes me nervous to try to schedule a bus for an incoming international flight when I have no idea what the wait will be for customs/baggage claim. Our flight lands at 9:00 am and I feel like an hour could* be enough, but who knows? If anyone has thoughts here, please share.

Again, I feel guilty bringing a question that’s probably been asked a gazillion times, but I just want to be sure we get this right and don’t arrive at our hotel out of sorts from a miserable commute…particularly if it turns out that we don’t get much sleep on our overnight flight.

Either the car service or taxi will work, if both big bags won't fit in the trunk they'll simply place one in the front passenger seat.

The train is fine but unless you are staying near Termini, you'll have the additional cost of a taxi to your hotel from Termini.  At that point you might as well pay for the taxi from the airport.

Also consider that you'll be coming off a long flight, with a six hour time change.  This is probably not the place to skimp, especially if you don't speak Italian and/or don't know where you are going.

Edited by euro cruiser

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Either the car service or taxi will work, if both big bags won't fit in the trunk they'll simply place one in the front passenger seat.

Yep, the pretty simple solution. Many of the private transfers use Mercedes sedans that can handle the suitcases.