Brief Bliss Alaska recap

Usually was sitting at the OL bar.  Received great service and got to know the bar staff (who were all great).  They saw me coming.  They had my drink ready before I even sat down.

Having sailed on the 4/22 itinerary, I would usually find a seat (didn't take up a whole couch) among other people.  Always asked if I could join them.  They never turned me away.  A couple of times, they didn't interact with me, even when I did my best "Chatty Chucky" routine.  But, that's OK.  I just talked to myself.  In doing so, they would all look at me strangely and would leave (I'm serious).  If I saw something that was particularly interesting, I'd make a comment...to no one but myself.  Carried on more than one conversation with my party of one.  That got looks, but also got me a pretty wide berth of empty chairs around me.

Worse was the Atrium.  If I spied an empty seat with a piece of clothing on it, I'd look for any signs of people who were sitting there for 15 minutes or so.  If no one showed up, I'd just pick up the clothing, offer it to one of the wait staff as a lost item, and sat down.  Not sure, but when (more likely "if" someone showed up for their belonging, they would look around my general area, but by then, a lot of time had passed and chairs had been moved.  So, if they had reserved the chair an hour earlier, they didn't know which one.

Same in the Cavery Club.  If there was an empty seat at one of the small tables, I would ask if I could use it.  No one ever said "no".

Edited by graphicguy

On 5/8/2023 at 6:52 AM, Sinbadssailors said:

Teppanyaki food and 'show' were good, but service was barely okay - this is the second cruise in a row that we ended up leaving Teppanyaki before dessert because it just dragged on sooooo long after dinner with the silly photo nonsense.

Having not been to Teppanyaki, but interested to go, I'm now curious what they do after dinner.  Are they forcing everyone to take pictures in the hope they'll buy them later?

9 minutes ago, OneTwoThreeFourFive said:

Having not been to Teppanyaki, but interested to go, I'm now curious what they do after dinner.  Are they forcing everyone to take pictures in the hope they'll buy them later?

We did Tappanyaki on the Bliss the week before last.  It was really fun and we didn't endure any photos or delays for anything.  We even did facetime with DD back home so she could enjoy it.  She put our cat in her camera instead of her own face and the chef got a kick out of performing for a cat. 🐱

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, OneTwoThreeFourFive said:

They take photos before dinner and then present them in a special Teppanyaki-themed folder before dessert. For purchase of course.

It's time consuming and annoying and happened the last two times on two different ships.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

They take photos before dinner and then present them in a special Teppanyaki-themed folder before dessert. For purchase of course.

It's time consuming and annoying and happened the last two times on two different ships.

On the Bliss on the April 22nd sailing we ate at Teppanyaki, Food Republic, Cagney's, Ocean Blue and American Diner and it only happened at Cagney's.  This time instead of the hard sell at dinner is was just included in our pictures at the photo center.  

• Thanks 1

I've had dinner four times at Teppanyaki and never encountered this long wait for photos. Is it because we opt out of having this stupid photo? How many photos at dinner does one need? My husband and I need 0 which is exactly how many we have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 5:07 AM, SomewhereGirl said:

There's plenty of seating in the OL for a couple thousand passengers

LOLOLOL, I think you meant to say a couple hundred. No way a thousand passengers are fitting in the OL.

To the OP though, I would agree. On our Bliss cruise the OL was a flop house. (I fell asleep in there too)

• Like 1