Brief Bliss Alaska recap

I've sailed NCL many times, but this was my first time on the Bliss.  It is a very large ship and can get crowded in certain places.  We were able to work our way around this and never really felt the burden of the large ship and almost 100% capacity, but it takes some planning.  The ship is lovely.  The crew is great and the food is amazing.  Alaska never fails to impress and delight.  A couple let downs from the Bliss were the  thermal suite and observation lounge.  I was excited to see both the thermal suite and the observation lounge on this big ship.  I usually get a Thermal Suite pass, especially in Alaska.  But this thermal suite was so small and disappointing.  We went on a tour and I thought maybe me missed part of it.  It felt very small and cramped compared to the Epic, Escape and Breakaway.  By far the biggest let down was the observation lounge.  It is basically a flop house for anyone not wanting to be in their cabin.  People sleeping on chairs and couches.  More chair hogs than the pool deck in the Caribbean.   The food they put out is the same everyday and not at all appetizing.  It really feels like wasted space.  The worst part of the service was the change to once a day room cleanings.   We were three women in one Club Balcony Suite.  I asked NCL before and after booking about the set up and take down of the extra bed each day and was assured it would be done even though there was only one service per day.  This was a lie and it was never done not once.  The couch being a bed basically made the room unusable for anything but sleeping the entire cruise.  

Embarkation was organized and fast.  Debarkation was a mess.  Luckily I went down to ask and realized what was going on.  We got of quickly after.  I don't think the big ships are right for Alaska.  I did the Jewel in Alaska last time and I will return to that size ship for all future Alaska cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't imagine more than two adults in a cabin...whether it's a Club Balcony "suite" (in this case, just a larger bathroom, with the living area the same as a "regular" balcony)...or just a regular balcony.

I know people manage to pull it off, but it's not for me.

I realize I may be the only one who feels this way, but I'm used to it...😁

• Like 1

Glad you had a good time.  We were on the ship a week ago.  I did not go to the Spa, however I visited the Observation Lounge at least once a day sometimes more.  I rarely stayed past getting coffee.  Like with all my other Alaska cruises, they keep common areas like this so dang hot I had to get out.  I only got coffee and a muffin when it opened at 5:30.  A great time to be there with hardly any other cruisers.  We thought the crew was very friendly and loved the food at both the specialty and main dining rooms.  We wandered thru the buffet once the whole cruise.

Whenever I see people post recommending Bliss or Encore because of the huge observation lounge I want to say don't count on it.  I can't even imagine it on a ship at full capacity.  I was on the Encore to Alaska in 2021 after the restart at like 70% capacity.  Walked through the OL on Glacier Bay day and couldn't get out of there fast enough.  Had the whole lazer tag area to myself (weather permitting).  OL was good for the banana chips at the breakfast "buffet".

14 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I was on the Encore to Alaska in 2021 after the restart at like 70% capacity.  Walked through the OL on Glacier Bay day and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

So, you picked the absolute worst time to use the OL?

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The whole week I never found a time it didn’t feel like a homeless camp 🤷🏻‍♀️. Maybe if we’d been there at 5:30 am and “reserved “ seats before people came to sleep all over them. But as mentioned previously it was as hot as a sauna in there anyway. 

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I doubt it's ever not like that on a non-port day, you know like when the ship is moving and there's something to observe.  🖕

Edited by SomewhereGirl

As a professional working in the not for profit industry for the last 35 years, I have spent my fair share of time in both "flop houses" and "homeless camps."  I definately cannot say that the Observation Lounge looked like either of these actual, very real crisis locations.  Was it crowded?  Yes, at times.  Did the people enjoying their time in a location, that provided both shelter and food, which they had paid for, seem to be enjoying themselves, as they had the right to?  Yes, yes they did.  Please consider, rather than throwing around hyperbole, a statement such as..." it was so crowded with people who got there and claimed crairs before I was able to claim my own chair."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I can't imagine more than two adults in a cabin...whether it's a Club Balcony "suite" (in this case, just a larger bathroom, with the living area the same as a "regular" balcony)...or just a regular balcony.

I know people manage to pull it off, but it's not for me.

I realize I may be the only one who feels this way, but I'm used to it...😁

i shared an inside cabin (and a club balcony) with my sister AND elderly father. she slept on the pullman bed. 

16 minutes ago, fmrlkr said:

As a professional working in the not for profit industry for the last 35 years, I have spent my fair share of time in both "flop houses" and "homeless camps."  I definately cannot say that the Observation Lounge looked like either of these actual, very real crisis locations.  Was it crowded?  Yes, at times.  Did the people enjoying their time in a location, that provided both shelter and food, which they had paid for, seem to be enjoying themselves, as they had the right to?  Yes, yes they did.  Please consider, rather than throwing around hyperbole, a statement such as..." it was so crowded with people who got there and claimed crairs before I was able to claim my own chair."

priggish much?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AK Dreaming said:

The whole week I never found a time it didn’t feel like a homeless camp 🤷🏻‍♀️. Maybe if we’d been there at 5:30 am and “reserved “ seats before people came to sleep all over them. But as mentioned previously it was as hot as a sauna in there anyway. 

Could be the passengers who book inside cabins and claim they are never in their cabins so why get an ocean view or balcony?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Could be the passengers who book inside cabins and claim they are never in their cabins so why get an ocean view or balcony?

i am one of those people although i do read for several hours after the late "min show". 

the smoking area is another place i like to hang out at (i quit several years ago, but i still smoke on vacation).

WE were with 2 other couples, 6 of us, on the Bliss Mexican Riveria Cruise March26 ,  7 day cruise.  we all used the Observation Lounge as our get together space, sometimes crowded, but we all were able to get seating together day and night, our go to Place.  we enjoyed the snacks very much and drinks were awesome, service was great.  so, each their own but the Bliss Observation Lounge was great for all of us.  This cruise we all were all in club balcony suites, same deck as observation lounge.  Only 2 to a room.  Would never ever travel with more than 2 in any room, unless a true suite with very extra space for an additional person. Have been in the Haven on the Bliss, and will do that experience again.

2 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

Was this the 4/22 Bliss sailing?  If so, I was on that sailing and I believe we actually met at @graphicguy's meet and greet.  I spent many hours in the OL both that week and the week before.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

That could be me.  That said, I've also sailed in balconies and spent the same amount of time in the observation lounges.  A seat in the observation lounge is a whole lot more fun than sitting in that crappy chair on a balcony without beverage service.  But that may just be me....

i have so far sailed on: the getaway, epic, jew, jade, gem, and pride of america with several repeat ships.

i have never sailed on bliss, and i am rather intrigued. on the previously mentioned ships they all shared the same premium restaurants*, were as bliss has the BBQ and Mexican restaurants among a couple of others* and i would love to try them.

*i still feel guilty about rewarding cruise lines and up charging.   

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You doubt it?  Do you have any recent experience?

You win.  There's plenty of seating in the OL for a couple thousand passengers...and plenty of room in the Cavern Club...and the Atrium...because logically there's more room for everyone when then ship is at full capacity vs reduced capacity.

Edited by SomewhereGirl

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Was this the 4/22 Bliss sailing?  If so, I was on that sailing and I believe we actually met at @graphicguy's meet and greet.  I spent many hours in the OL both that week and the week before.

Yes…I believe so.  

I spent a lot of hours at the OL, too.  It was my go to place.  Always parked myself by one of the big windows or at the bar.

LOVED the chocolate muffins they had in the a.m.  Added a bowl of fruit, a Bloody, and my day was off to the races.

😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fmrlkr said:

If it were just "people who got there before me and got a seat" as you claim but were not there, it would be what I said. It was people who lay with their head to feet on a whold couch sleeping in a public area. 

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Yes…I believe so.  

I spent a lot of hours at the OL, too.  It was my go to place.  Always parked myself by one of the big windows or at the bar.

LOVED the chocolate muffins they had in the a.m.  Added a bowl of fruit, a Bloody, and my day was off to the races.

😉

Hi!.  Yes it was the April 22nd cruise and I was at the meet and greet.  I will say the Bar staff in the OL as on the rest of the ship was fantatic!  I think I had set the bar really high for the OL going in as the Escape, Getaway, Breakaway and Epic I usually sail on do not have one and I was really looking forward to enjoying the experience.  For me they kept the temp in there way to hot.  I think the space could be used better IMHO.  I problaby will go back to the other ships in the future but the Go Carts were cool!

• Like 1

I was on this 4/29 sailing.

We booked extremely last minute and ended up in an inside on deck 14. I spent my days in the Observation Lounge, entire days, usually from sunrise to around 4 - it was our balcony substitute. It was a wonderful space with great beverage service. I liked the 4 buffets, 2 front and one on either side(usually with similar/same selections and unchanging from day to day). I saw them more as snacks than meals though and we would alternate leaving for actual meals.

We tried for front and center daily- that was the only place where the temperature was truly comfortable. The rest of the space is FAR too warm, and the occasional Mudslide was essential in order to cool off. We were blessed with perfect weather on Glacier Bay day, but then the side picture window seating was hot, like greenhouse-hot. Made a lot of trips outside that day, back and forth. We also had more frozen drinks than a day spent on a Caribbean beach.

There was a lot of chair hogging (I'm not counting Glacier Bay day - that was expected and the ship did their best, setting up multiple rows of folding chairs to vastly increase the available seating). Every day people were stretched out sleeping on the couches, saving seats all day and actually blocking off entire areas with furniture for their family/groups, like it was their own personal living room. 

As for the rest of the cruise, the food and service were very good for the most part. We only did two nights in the main dining room and those nights were the weak spot. Cagney's was good, La Cucina was great(ended up there twice), Ocean Blue was very good and Teppanyaki food and 'show' were good, but service was barely okay - this is the second cruise in a row that we ended up leaving Teppanyaki before dessert because it just dragged on sooooo long after dinner with the silly photo nonsense. We ended up skipping Le Bistro entirely for the first time since 2002 - just couldn't justify the upcharge for what was always our go-to, the filet, and nothing else on the menu appealed. 

FYI no food was allowed out of the restaurants on this cruise. I heard this from servers all over, unsolicited, since we never even asked to take out leftovers.

They were confused by it and weren't given an explanation for the policy change that was irritating passengers. Witnessed that the night at Teppanyaki when someone couldn't finish.

Buffet food was (surprisingly) good and we're not big buffet people. The daily Indian selections were tasty.

Embarkation was pure chaos. Too many people in too small a space and no way to hear announcements. We were on by noon but it was an unpleasant process. Disembarkation was only slightly better. They apparently had two lines for two exits front and back, but the lines were so long with no signage and no one directing and no way to know where either line ended. 

Why does NCL make us wait so long for cabins on embarkation day? 3:30 is ridiculous, especially when everyone had to be on board by 3 for the 5:00 sailaway.

Although Sapphire now, we are by no means NCL cheerleaders. We had taken a 10 year break until a Haven cruise right after the restart. That was good, as it should've been.

NCL the company still aggravates me, but overall this was a great cruise in our inside guarantee, and even purchased CruiseNext whatevers. 

• Like 2

Interesting.....I took focaccia and fruit from the OL to my cabin. 

I also took a cheeseburger and fries from the Garden Cafe to my cabin. No one said a word to me.

Moreover, I had a fruit basket in my cabin plus daily treats that were brought to my cabin.

So, food was in my cabin every day.

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Me too.  Was it packed during the afternoon on sea days?  Absolutely.  Could I still find two seats?  Yes, but sometimes I had to wait ten or fifteen minutes.  Most of the "cheap seats" had people coming and going all day.  The loungers and couches near the windows?  Not so much.  That's okay for me.  A cheap seat in the OL beats about every other seat on the ship.  The district is also a good option when they open in the afternoon.

One busy day, I observed a grouping of seats near the starboard bow.  Two couches and six swivel chairs.  Two of the swivel chairs had personal items parked in them.  One of the couches had items of clothing draped over both arms.  The other couch had a single item of clothing draped over one arm.  So, I decided to have a seat on the (apparently) available open end of that couch just to enjoy my beverage, the great views and, to a lesser extent, just for fun to see how long those "reserved" seats went unoccupied.  I was actually pleasantly surprised.  Within about fifteen minutes some folks returned who were with people currently sitting there and "claimed" the full couch and one of the swivels.  I say, "no harm no foul."  The other swivel apparently contained some expensive camera equipment belonging to two people sitting on one of the other couches.  They eventually left.  Again, no big deal.  Then I heard a small crashing noise behind me, followed by a big huff or two and feet stomping away.  Apparently, the seat I took was part of a couch that a lady felt she could reserve entirely by leaving a single item of clothing on the other arm.  She had slammed down her coffee and pastry (coffee spilling onto the counter and pastry also winding up off the dish), angrily grabbed her scarf or whatever and left in a huff.  She literally stomped down the hallway for as far as I could see her.  Had she just sat down, I likely would have sought other seating regardless.  😎  Oh well, some folks just need to learn how to find enjoyment on their cruise instead of drama.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3