Suggestions For Shore Excursions For Miracle 4/23/06

workerbee1

I just checked your itinerary. Its very similar to the one that we are about to go on in a few weeks, except we are not going to Grand Cayman. Unluckily, its mainly tender ports which makes getting to shore much more difficult. Here's my thoughts:

Riviera Maya: You probably will dock here. We have never been there, but from the boards it sounds like the shopping is not too good. We have made reservations to visit the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins through a private vendor (http://www.chacchobenruins.com/) It is my understanding that although the ruins are not fully accessible, my husband who uses a wheelchair will be able to see most of them.

Belize: This is a tender port. There is some shopping at the pier. Last year the number of stores there had grown greatly from 2 years earlier and I assume it has continued to grow, but it still is not like Cozumel and Grand Cayman. You will need to take a tour here, either through Carnival or a private vendor; however most choices other than a city tour are not really accessible. We joined a van tour to Altun Ha on our first visit and I was able able to push my husband around the ruins.

Cozumel: This is a tender port since all the piers were destroyed by Hurricane Wilma. You have several choices here. Note: This information is Pre-Wilma, but I assume that they have replaced the damage with similar facilities. You can go shopping and have lunch downtown. Cozumel offers everything from high priced jewelry to Mexican souveniers. The downtown area is reasonably accessible and most of the stores on the main street had some sort of ramp. Other choices:

- Hire a taxi or van at the pier for an island tour.

- Go to Playa Mia, an all-inclusive beach club The pool and eating areas

are accessible.

- If Chakanaub park has reopened you could try to find out which parts

are open. My husband used to enjoy visiting the ruin replicas, watching

the sea lion show and sitting in the open air cafe watching us snorkel.

Grand Cayman: Another tender port. You probably want to shop here if you are looking for high quality items: jewelry, crystal, perfume, etc. And do not forget some rum cake. The shopping area starts right at the tender pier and is quite accessible. Otherwise all I can suggest is an island tour unless you can access a beach.

We will be back about a week before you leave so I may be able to provide additional information then.

Archived