To Do or Not? The Petit Train d'Antibes/Juan-les-Pins

crewsgirl

We are in Cannes for one day in June. After walking in Cannes, we are planning to take the train to Antibes to enjoy the afternoon. Now, I am considering the Petit Train in Antibes. Has anybody done this and if so, would you recommend or not? Is it possible to get off and visit sites of interest? Should I get tickets in advance? I am wondering if this is a good option to get an overview of the area, or if it is too childlike and a big no-go? Love to hear your experience as I see they offer this in several cities in France. From Cannes, from which route would you start? TIA

https://petit-train-antibes.com/en/reservations-2/reservations-petit-train/

6 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

We are in Cannes for one day in June. After walking in Cannes, we are planning to take the train to Antibes to enjoy the afternoon. Now, I am considering the Petit Train in Antibes. Has anybody done this and if so, would you recommend or not? Is it possible to get off and visit sites of interest? Should I get tickets in advance? I am wondering if this is a good option to get an overview of the area, or if it is too childlike and a big no-go? Love to hear your experience as I see they offer this in several cities in France. From Cannes, from which route would you start? TIA

https://petit-train-antibes.com/en/reservations-2/reservations-petit-train/

The Petit Train in Antibes is very new.  I have not taken it, but I am very familiar with the area. 

The train goes between Juan-les-Pins and Antibes. Juan is the train stop before Antibes and it is a beach resort town with a very nice, long sandy beach (where I have spent a lot of time). The Petit Train stop in Juan is by the beach and only a 3 minute walk from the Juan train station.

The Petit Train stop in Antibes is a 10 minute walk from the train station.  The Petit Train stop in Antibes is right in the old town and a short walk to the Provençal Market, the Picasso  Museum, the Ramparts and the incredible marina with all the mega-yachts.

My advice would be to take the train from Cannes to Juan-les-Pins and then the Petit Train to Antibes. Get out in Antibes for walking around  sightseeing and then the Petit Train back to Juan.

There are very good restaurants in Antibes. Make sure you have the Soupe de Poissons (fish soup) and the Grilled Daurade (sea bream).  

The beach in Juan is lined with restaurants where you can also rent beach loungers. If you eat there, have the Salade Niçoise. And anywhere in the area, have the local rosé wines.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

or if it is too childlike and a big no-go?

Not specific to the one you are asking about, but those "little trains" are to be found in many cities and large towns across Europe.  They may look childlike, but they can follow a route through pedestrianised areas where other vehicles cannot go and are a practical and often inexpensive way to get an overview of a (usually)  historic area plus others and they don't often do a run exceeding 45 minutes or an hour.  They are usually electric and often have commentary.

They are a good alternative to a HOHO if all you want is an overview of local highlights to help you decide where you would like to visit once the tour is over.

On a rivercruise we stopped at Rudesheim and the company used one of these to transport us all from the docking area to Siegfried's Mechanical Mmuseum. And French friends used a couple to transfer guests attending the wedding of their daughter from the Town Hall to the reception venue.

Edited by edinburgher