Intel on new loyalty programme

genian_travels

Was chatting to a knowledgeable staff member on the recent Valiant TA about the new loyalty programme - and what it may look like - given Deep Blue Extras has been extended until the end of the year.

They said Virgin is still collating data over a longer period of time to discover what the most-used benefits from DBE are, to decide which benefits should stay and which they can lose if they’re not found to be of as much value by Sailors. For example, “shake for champagne” was changed to the $100 bar tab as a direct result of feedback.

They didn’t think the onboard benefits would be any worse than what’s currently offered, but they weren’t sure how it would be decided who would qualify for it going forward.

With regards to the “tokens” earned from money spent on cruise fares and onboard spend, they suggested these would be used for a loyalty system unlike any other in the cruise industry.

Rather than the tokens translating into a tier system like other cruise lines - eg, Tier 1 is 0-4999 tokens, Tier 2 is 5000-19999 tokens, Tier 3 is 20000-49999 etc - these will instead be used more like airmiles, where they can be exchanged for goods/services. For example, exchanging your tokens for differing amounts of Sailor Loot or Bar Tab, depending on how many you have - or even money off your next sailing, up to a free sailing.

For my money, it would make sense to fold this token system into Virgin’s current points system earned and used across its other brands: Virgin Atlantic, its credit card and Virgin Red. It would be savvy marketing to have one big pot of points that you could use to pay for both your cruise and the flight to/from port. Or exchange the points earned from buying a cruise on a Virgin credit card for some free Sailor Loot or Bar Tab. 

My first cruise on Virgin in 2021 was paid for using Virgin points, so it’s not a stretch to think it could be a long-term plan…

Will have to wait and see if this is what happens 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can see the idea of tokens been exchangeable with Virgin Red (and vice versa) been well received. And compared to long hall flights it probably is a lower taxes situation. VV could also use the limited number of reward cabins per sailing to manage commitment like how limited reward seats per flight work.

• Like 1

Interesting. I'd like to see some default perks based upon tier earned, similar to DBE, but then use tokens for extra things. I am not opposed to needing to do a minimum amount of travel in order to qualify for the default perks, but I think it's also fair for recognition to be given for past status achievement. All of this is very different from how other cruise lines reward frequent travelers. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

All of this is very different from how other cruise lines reward frequent travelers.

i'm guessing this is by design - the other lines do lifetime status, and as more people get said lifetime status as time goes on, the quality of perks have to get diluted to support the greater numbers.  an 85 year old that spent 200 nights onboard a line in the 90s is given more recognition than a 25 year old that's probably paying a ton more today for go on a few cruises on the same line.  same stuff that goes on with airlines and hotels - when everyone is elite, there's not a ton of value in it anymore.

i sailed norwegian once, and as a person without status, other pax kind of made me feel like a second class citizen.  forcing people to re-earn status on whatever basis (i'm guessing it'll be a 2 year qualification period and 2-year perks period, reading between the lines on their terms) gets them more repeat business and keeps the "elite" herd a bit thin.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

i'm guessing this is by design - the other lines do lifetime status, and as more people get said lifetime status as time goes on, the quality of perks have to get diluted to support the greater numbers.  an 85 year old that spent 200 nights onboard a line in the 90s is given more recognition than a 25 year old that's probably paying a ton more today for go on a few cruises on the same line.  same stuff that goes on with airlines and hotels - when everyone is elite, there's not a ton of value in it anymore.

i sailed norwegian once, and as a person without status, other pax kind of made me feel like a second class citizen.  forcing people to re-earn status on whatever basis (i'm guessing it'll be a 2 year qualification period and 2-year perks period, reading between the lines on their terms) gets them more repeat business and keeps the "elite" herd a bit thin.

agree with all of this...

9 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

i'm guessing this is by design - the other lines do lifetime status,

MSC will match your status once for a period of 2 years. You have to sail with them once every 2 years to maintain it. If you don't, you lose it.

I'm liking the idea of maintaining the current perks and using points to buy extras.

• Like 1