Attire for Teen Boys

stx4me

Hi All:

Will be on the Voyager of the Seas for spring break with 2 teen boys. I was wondering what other teen boys where on not formal nights? Can they wear shorts in the dining room on informal nights or do most wear long pant? How about on semi-formal? Do any wear jeans? (trying to avoid if possible).

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have two teenage sons they are 16 and 18 and they have been on several cruises.

On formal nights they wear suits, white shirts, and ties. When they stop growing I will get them each a tux. I just purchased the 16 year old a new suit that I hope he can wear on the Monarch next week and on the Radiance in June. I had the tailor leave extra fabric in the waist for letting out and in the length for putting down.

All other evenings they wear Docker type slacks with some sort of collared shirt. My 16 year old prefers Hawaiian button down shirts since he likes his shirt out. My 18 year old prefers golf type shirts or plain colored mens shirts to tuck in.

Neither of my sons like jeans and won't wear them even for school.

My son is 15, and this will be his 1st 7 night cruise. He doesn't own a suit, and we were going to get him one just for the formal night. He does, however, own a formal kilt with all the trimmings (ILs are Scots and Son goes to different functions with them). He wants to wear it and I said, "Cool!" It should make for neat pictures. :D

Back to the original question, though. On the more casual nights, he'll be wearing dockers/dickies type pants with aloha shirts. Shorts/jeans aren't allowed in the dining room in general, but sometimes on a longer port day they'll let it slide (and it'll be posted).

an idea for a suit for a teenager (because they grow so darn fast): your local Salvation Army or Goodwill shop. I found an awesome one for my DS when he was in high school for only $20 (plus the cost of a trip to the cleaners). I felt even better about it when he ripped out the knee while running across the parking lot after an event... !

And I think the kilt is a great idea as well. DS was studying bagpipe for a while (even though absolutely no Irish/Scottish blood in family) and got himself a black one. Looks great with a tails jacket we picked up (sell off of rental stock, matching pants were a victim of Katrina)

Shorts aren't allowed in the dining rooms and I very seldom have seen jeans--which are also supposedly not allowed. Docker-stlye pants or cargo pants are fine for nonformal nights. Any collared shirt like a polo shirt of hawaiian shirt will work. Most casual t-shirts aren't very appropriate.

Athletic shoes are ok, if you can't them get to wear anything else, and I have seen plenty of nice sandals worn too. I'm drawing a blank trying to think of another kind of casual shoe, not tennies or sandals, that most teenage boyswould be willing to wear. Maybe something black leather with the heavier soles? Perhaps someone else has a suggestion?

My son went on a Panama cruise at age 15 and an Agean Sea cruise at age 17 with us. He did not wear a jacket on formal night, BUT wore a shirt and tie with slacks every night, except casual nights. On those nights he wore a silk print or cotton print shirt and long slacks, with the shirt out.

His silk shirts doubled with solid ties on smart casual, and a solid shirt and tie for formal nights.

We bought the silk shirts at Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and Ross Dress for Less, so we weren't spending that much $$.

No to the shorts.

He wore slip on black leather shoes every night, and we got them at Payless Shoes for about $15. Only had them on for a few hours each day.

His philosophy (and he expressed this to his best friend who went on the Panama cruise with us, who did NOT want to dress up for dinner):

"You gotta dress nice to get the good food!"

If they really balk, then the Windjammer is an excellent alternative for them.

Archived