Township Tours

exiledowl

We are on a world cruise from December 21st and will be calling at several ports in South Africa. We are hoping to make a township visit when we are in Port Elizabeth or Durban but are having difficulty finding companies who do this.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

32 minutes ago, loerie said:

Not safe in Port Elizabeth or Durban to do township tours I am an ex South  African  and lived in both Cities,Eould advise against it

On a road-trip we passed several townships - not places we'd want to tour.😟

JB 🙂

11 hours ago, loerie said:

Not safe in Port Elizabeth or Durban to do township tours I am an ex South  African  and lived in both Cities,Eould advise against it

Hi loerie, yes I've read that it's inadvisable to visit a township alone although I was under the impression that there were tour companies in SA now who provided township tours via local guides who live in the area. 

Thanks for your advice. 

On 5/12/2023 at 6:12 AM, exiledowl said:

Hi loerie, yes I've read that it's inadvisable to visit a township alone although I was under the impression that there were tour companies in SA now who provided township tours via local guides who live in the area. 

Thanks for your advice. 

Thst is so but there is a lot of car jacking etc.Electricity is in shorty supply so driving is hell as no traffic lights work.Sadly

On 5/10/2023 at 7:30 AM, exiledowl said:

We are on a world cruise from December 21st and will be calling at several ports in South Africa. We are hoping to make a township visit when we are in Port Elizabeth or Durban but are having difficulty finding companies who do this.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

not to be rude, but why would you want to do this?

On 5/11/2023 at 6:40 PM, loerie said:

ex south African?

being a michigan native (we have lots of "townships" unfortunately) i have ZERO understanding why people want to do the township tour thing.

We want to do it after seeing cruise programmes on tv where local inhabitants welcomed visitors to the township, giving them some idea what life was like under the apartheid system and what it's like now.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, exiledowl said:

We want to do it after seeing cruise programmes on tv where local inhabitants welcomed visitors to the township, giving them some idea what life was like under the apartheid system and what it's like now.

i still can't understand why anyone would want to go to a township.

On 5/20/2023 at 12:37 PM, MSUjohn said:

i still can't understand why anyone would want to go to a township.

Agree!So many problems going on in Douth Africa eith crime etc .zI know as I am ex SA .!

• 2 weeks later...

Not a Township Tour but, we like to go off on our own when arriving in Port, sampling a local bar or Restaurant. Do you think it is safe to do so in the Ports and Towns of South Africa. Is there any Port where it's a No No. Thank you.

Thanks for your reply Loerie, our other Ports are Port Elizabeth, East London, Richards Bay, Durban and Mossel Bay.

Would you say these are " Safe" places to walk around on our own ?

Yes, very much looking forward to Cape Town.

Regards Rubyclaret 

1 hour ago, rubyclaret said:

Thanks for your reply Loerie, our other Ports are Port Elizabeth, East London, Richards Bay, Durban and Mossel Bay.

Would you say these are " Safe" places to walk around on our own ?

Yes, very much looking forward to Cape Town.

Regards Rubyclaret 

I'm looking for a similar answer too, we're visiting all those ports , except Mossel Bay!

On 5/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, exiledowl said:

It’s a hell of a lot worse now .Believe me .This is Gov propaganda

5 hours ago, exiledowl said:

I'm looking for a similar answer too, we're visiting all those ports , except Mossel Bay!

Mosses Bay is good .Durban good  but do a ships tour.Port ElizabethAddo elephant park greatnor any other reserve. is ok for a game reserve.Nothing else!

16 hours ago, loerie said:

Mosses Bay is good .Durban good  but do a ships tour.Port ElizabethAddo elephant park greatnor any other reserve. is ok for a game reserve.Nothing else!

Thanks again for your advice. 

We think we'll go to either Addo (from PE) or Hluhluwe (from Richards Bay)and the Valley of 1000 Hills from Durban all organised by the ship.