Lisbon on a Sunday

Our cruise will be in Lisbon for a day and a half.  The full day is on a Sunday.  We love walking tours- either on our own or guided, We were hoping to do Rick Steve’s audio walking tour because we love to go at our own pace, stop in a shop, or eat in a cafe.  I know shops are closed on Sunday and restaurants open later.  Would we find ourselves doing nothing but walking on a Sunday?  Is the HOHO worth it if many places are closed?  Should we consider taking a ship’s tour to make the best use of our visit?  (This is our first visit to Lisbon)

The full day is on a Sunday

i think you are worrying unnecessarily.

There will be a number of museums open on Sundays (most usually close on Mondays) and of course public transport will be running although perhaps with a reduced service so you can still get around to eg the Belem area, and viewpoints with amazing views. And the Castle of St George will be open too.And the wonderful Augusta Arch and nearby Praça do Comércio never close., also the viewpoints which don't close.  You could easily spend a hour or two in the Belem area alone, hours more than that if the Maritime Museum appeals to you.

I think it would be best if you were to look at sights and tourist info for Lisbon,, decide what appeals to you and check opening hours as doing that will give you a better understanding of your options but I honestly don't think you will find yourselves with nothing to do and you may be pleasantly surprised.

The Official Lisbon Tourist Information website is excellent and should be your starting point, also other sites such as Tripadvisor., but start with the Lisbon Tourist Info website.

We have visited on both cruises and a land trip, probably a total of at least 12 days and never felt the need for a HOHO.  Public transport is excellent and info on how to use it can be found online.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, edinburgher said:

The full day is on a Sunday

i think you are worrying unnecessarily.

We have visited on both cruises and a land trip, probably a total of at least 12 days and never felt the need for a HOHO.  Public transport is excellent and info on how to use it can be found online.

Thank you.  That is very helpful.

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Thankk you for acknowledging as many don't bother.

I love viewpoints!  Can you recommend any viewpoints that you think are special before I dig into the tourist office site?  I’ve been browsing sites that give their top 10 (or 20) things to see in Lisbon and they tend to highlight places versus views.

Thanks for your time!

I love viewpoints! With your back to the sea, on the  right side of the city we like views from the Castle of St George but there is another lower down close to the (SE) Cathedral which also has amazing views. On the opposite (left) side we like Sao Pedro de Alcantara which is a huge  terrace in a garden setting.  There is also a display naming what you can see from there  on the opposite (castle) side.

And the Praca do Comercio at ground level has many photo ops. Again, depending on your exact docking location, you may pass this on your way in and out, but better to visit in person. The Augusta Arch is only a 3 or 4 minute walk from there in the direction of the city.

And do spend time in the Belem area, lovely waterfront setting with the Tower of Belem and the Monument of the Discoveries, both of which you will pass sailing in and out but the Discoveries Monument has incredible detail and merits seeing it up close and only then will you appreciate the grandeur of it.. .We have visited Lisbon on  at least 4 ships and each time, the captain sounded his horn when passing as a tribute to these early seafaring discoverers as they set off to discover new worlds.

Also at Belem there is the huge Jeronimos Monastery.

As Lisbon is so hilly there are numerous viewpoints and a quick google should find them. 

I think you will find more to do than you initially thought.

Edited by edinburgher

17 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I love viewpoints! With your back to the sea, on the  right side of the city we like views from the Castle of St George but there is another lower down close to the (SE) Cathedral which also has amazing views. On the opposite (left) side we like Sao Pedro de Alcantara which is a huge  terrace in a garden setting.  There is also a display naming what you can see from there  on the opposite (castle) side.

And the Praca do Comercio at ground level has many photo ops. Again, depending on your exact docking location, you may pass this on your way in and out, but better to visit in person. The Augusta Arch is only a 3 or 4 minute walk from there in the direction of the city.

And do spend time in the Belem area, lovely waterfront setting with the Tower of Belem and the Monument of the Discoveries, both of which you will pass sailing in and out but the Discoveries Monument has incredible detail and merits seeing it up close and only then will you appreciate the grandeur of it.. .We have visited Lisbon on  at least 4 ships and each time, the captain sounded his horn when passing as a tribute to these early seafaring discoverers as they set off to discover new worlds.

Also at Belem there is the huge Jeronimos Monastery.

As Lisbon is so hilly there are numerous viewpoints and a quick google should find them. 

I think you will find more to do than you initially thought.

Thank you again!  I’ve been reading a lot lately about Lisbon and I am now recognizing places as I read your post.  Hearing your enthusiasm has me excited for our visit.

Hearing your enthusiasm has me excited for our visit.

Thanks for acknowledging.  Lisbon is one of our favourite cities and we visited several times on cruises before going there on a longer land trip in February 2020, shortly before the world turned upside down.

Over time we learned a few shortcuts which save walking up steep hills, or at least part of them to viewpoints, so also search for" free elevadors "in Lisbon.  And public buses used to run up to the castle with only a few yards to walk from the stop to the entrance. and I suggest you do that as it has some of the steepest streets in the area. There should be route # info online.  From there it is a downhill walk to the viewpoint close to the Cathedral and more downhill from there to the flat area around Rua Augusta/Rua da Prata/ P do Comercio.  Belem is totally flat and frequent buses and trams run the route.

Enjoy. The more pre-trip homework you do the more you will enjoy your time there and you appear to be doing that.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 2:57 AM, edinburgher said:

Hearing your enthusiasm has me excited for our visit.

Thanks for acknowledging.  Lisbon is one of our favourite cities and we visited several times on cruises before going there on a longer land trip in February 2020, shortly before the world turned upside down.

Over time we learned a few shortcuts which save walking up steep hills, or at least part of them to viewpoints, so also search for" free elevadors "in Lisbon.  And public buses used to run up to the castle with only a few yards to walk from the stop to the entrance. and I suggest you do that as it has some of the steepest streets in the area. There should be route # info online.  From there it is a downhill walk to the viewpoint close to the Cathedral and more downhill from there to the flat area around Rua Augusta/Rua da Prata/ P do Comercio.  Belem is totally flat and frequent buses and trams run the route.

Enjoy. The more pre-trip homework you do the more you will enjoy your time there and you appear to be doing that.

I just want to thank you again for your great suggestions.  I’ve planned a walking tour of Lisbon that includes the highlights that we want to see based on my research.  We are planning to get a 24 hr pass and use bus #737 up the hill to the castle as well as elevators along our walk.  I’ve highlighted the viewpoint areas for our downhill return to the ship.  BTW, you were correct that Sunday isn’t really a problem.  It turns out Monday is though.  After planning our all day walk about downtown Lisbon, I thought we’d see Belem on our half day before departure on Monday.  It turns out the tower is closed.  I guess we’ll just take a good look as the ship comes into port or departs.  Thanks again.

•  
On 5/14/2023 at 10:57 AM, edinburgher said:

Expand  

I just want to thank you again for your great suggestions.

IMHO the tower is better viewed from outside rather than inside, and you will pass it twice when arriving and leaving and get close up photos on foot.  Of course that is only our opinion and others may disagree.  Check current Tripadvisor reviews to help you decide if you should be pleased or disappointed that inside won't be an option.

Lisbon has many works of Street Art and there are also some guided walking tours around them.  I do not know if any would interest you or not, but one large and intricate one is in the Belem area where you will already be.  On a wall of the Cultural Centre, on the side of it which is opposite the Maritime Museum beside the stop for the tram running in the direction back  TO the city centre. This is more like 3D , rather than painted, as it is made of trash.  BIG RACOON You could google it, but are likely to find yourselves almost next to it anyway if you know it is there.  We have spotted a few others from the tram heading into the centre from Belem.  If you look to your left from your transport you might spot them on a couple of buildings on the left side but they would only be a glimpse.

There is another good one which is near to but not actually on Rua Augusta if that would interest you, you only need say. This one is painted and quite famous.. Fado Vadio.

Should  you have any other q's feel free to ask and I will try to answer.

Edited by edinburgher

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, hoenichj said:

Any street art tour to recommend?

Never done one so sorry, no to that, but I do know there are tours of street art which can be booked.  I expect info on these can be found online, together with reviews from tourists who have done these and reading them would help you decide which to go for.

Funny that we saw this question.  Just last week we booked a cruise that departs from Lisbon later this month.  Since our cruise leaves on Monday, we are flying-in to Lisbon on Sunday morning and have been talking about how to spend Sunday afternoon.  Having been to the area (many times) we quickly thought of a few ideas and will wait until we get to town to decide, since weather is a major factor.  If it is a very hot day, we might just jump on the train and head to Estoril (or nearby Cascais) where we can rent some beach chairs and relax.  If the weather is relatively comfortable, we might take a different train to Sintra (very popular with many tourists).  The suggestion to simply explore Belam is also a decent idea.  And speaking of Belam, the famous Pasteis de Belem is open on Sundays, and their pastries are worth a visit :).

Hank

On 7/10/2023 at 12:27 AM, Hlitner said:

have been talking about how to spend Sunday afternoon

Hank, a couple of other suggestions if I may, in case the weather is too hot or it is raining and in either scenario you would prefer to be indoors.

Despite our several port call visits to Lisbon we had never quite made it to two museums so we did them on our land visit. Both are open on Sundays but double check opening hours as there may have been changes.

The Maritime Museum at Belem

We spent 3 and 1/2 hours at the Maritime Museum, actually 1 and 1/2 hours more than I would have liked,(!)  but if either of you has an interest like my DH  it is a fabulous museum.

And the National Tile Museum. which surprised us as we  had not expected to enjoy it as much as we did. (read reviews) It really is worth going there, and should you decide to go, don't miss the Lisbon panorama in tile on the top floor.  We went by public bus and pre-pandemic there was a stop almost at the entrance.

Both museums have cafes.  The one at the Maritime Museum is at the exit, a long way from the entrance, but can also be accessed from outdoors.  The one inside the Tile Museum is close to the entrance. Both are decent enough for a light lunch or snack but for a full meal I would suggest a restaurant elsewhere.

Enjoy.  We really like Lisbon.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2023 at 12:27 AM, Hlitner said:

have been talking about how to spend Sunday afternoon.

in addition to the above, there is also the National Palace and Gardens of Queluz, located off the  Lisbon to Sintra trainline, approx midway between the two, so time allowing, should be easy enough to combine with Sintra.Ttere should be much info and images of the Nat. Palace online as it is where the Portuguese Govt accommodate and host visiting heads of state, presidents etc.

We did it on a port day, taking the train to the correct station, then walked the last shortish distance.

We have also visited the Gulbenkian Museum, and although we didn't enjoy it as much as we thought we would, others could find it more to their liking.

Both of the above should be open on Sundays.

So much to see and do in Lisbon, even on a Sunday.

Edited by edinburgher

I  had added the later posts to this thread in case any future visitors to Lisbon might find some helpful suggestions, even if their time there is not a Sunday. This because for a number of cruise pax, it could be their 2nd or 3rd, or more(!)  visit to the city, although it would be advisable to check opening hours and days before arrival, as many museums  and other sights which are open on Sundays may be closed on a Monday or Tuesday, or a different day of the week.

I should have acknowledged your last post 🙂   Read and noted.  The issue for us is how well we deal with the usual jetlag issues.  Even though we fly business class, the flight is too short to allow for much sleep.  If we can stay awake long enough to take the tram to Belam I think that the Berardo will be our priority with your suggestion of the Maritime Museum #2.  The trick is to stay awake until dinner and than all should be fine :).

Hank

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:16 AM, Hlitner said:

I think that the Berardo will be our priority with your suggestion of the Maritime Museum #2. 

Hank, if my memory serves me well, the street art BIG RACOON is on the back wall of the Berardo next to the bus/tram stop direction city centre.

23 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Hank, if my memory serves me well, the street art BIG RACOON is on the back wall of the Berardo next to the bus/tram stop direction city centre.

Never even got to Belam.  We were pretty jet lagged and just enjoyed walking around the Rosario area.  The weather in Lisbon has been perfect, about 78f now.  Sunday night found the city very alive with folks enjoying the perfect summer evening.  

Hank

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Never even got to Belam.  We were pretty jet lagged and just enjoyed walking around the Rosario area.  The weather in Lisbon has been perfect, about 78f now.  Sunday night found the city very alive with folks enjoying the perfect summer evening.  

Too bad you missed Belem Hank. Tthat pesky jetlag gets us all at some point in our travels. 

You have been lucky though in that parts of Portugal are not as brutally hot as some other Southern Med regions.  Enjoy.

Edited by edinburgher