Does it always pay to plan ahead

BobandLizM

We have completed over 11 cruises with Princess and three more planned over next 2 years.  We still work so tend to plan ahead.

We always book direct.

In January 2003 we booked a cruise for March 2024 with FCC believing I would get a good deal planning that far ahead.  It was for cruise only with Princess plus package.

After checking this week I could get the same cruise on the same date booking with Princess with the Princess plus benefits with the same cabin category (next cabin along corridor). For a whopping 28% cheaper.

I cancelled original, only a five minute phone call, was charged £50 per person and immediately rebooked online.

One part of me is happy we saved a lot of money, other part of me thinks have we been missing out on lots of savings in the past.

Main saving seemed to be the special offer of Princess plus for £25 a day instead £50 for this cruise.

I read a lot on this forum about the US members seemingly getting a lot of ‘refares’ but maybe we have been a bit naive of what that was.

We will still plan ahead though, I personally could not handle stress of waiting for last minute deals, but we keep an eye on the fare from now on.

Next time, please use a more legible sized font.  I am aware that the Brits are charged and don't get the free cancel/re-books and re-fares that we get in N.A.  That said, you did the right thing by monitoring prices and then acting when the price drop was significantly better considering the penalty fee. 

You mentioned booking direct always,  I never do that because I can get significant cash discount off cruise fare by working with the right TA in USA.  IDK if TA's in UK discount from the Princess pricing.  It's nice for you guys to have the half-off offer for the Plus Fare.  Perhaps Princess wasn't getting the "take up" level from your fellow citizens?  

As for last minute savings, a number of members here have reported they tend to book last minute and can get good deals.  That seems to matter somewhat on what time of year and cruise being sold because many voyages sell out.  I would say to keep an eye on your voyage beyond the Final Payment Date and up to sailing and see if it ever appears in the Drop 'N' Go specials, or if there are fare offers well below what you paid for a cabin category and location you would book.  

We too tend to plan ahead and book the voyage as soon as interested and then monitor for better pricing.  I realize that is a luxury we have over here, but it works well and I find I am happy with what ends up to be a good price for being able to select cabin we want and make travel plans.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BobandLizM said:

Thanks for the reply and feedback.

sorry about font size, bit of a newbie.

The reason I mentioned watching "your" voyage and see how the pricing and availability does late in the game is you MAY get an idea of the situation in future if you wanted to try for a last minute situation and hope for a good price.  I think that strategy works best either in a off-season or when the guest just wants to get on a ship - any ship - and go for a cruise.

• Like 1

Also depends if you are flying or not.   Waiting till the last minute might only get you higher airline flights.   There are good deals to be had if you wait as long as you don't mind where your cabin is located. 

• Like 3

The key to booking closer to the sail date is flexibility.  Princess likes to drum up hype when it releases new itineraries, but it's hard to gauge how well they the cabins will sell that far out.  Prices go down as empty cabins sit closer to sail date.  It's a gamble to wait so close to sailing, but there are deals to be had.  You can't be picky about your cabin location or your dates.  There are exceptions like a solar eclipse cruise which sell out year in advance.  Most Princess itineraries are on repeat for the season, so there are usually a few sailing dates that don't do well in selling cabins that are cheaper than the rest.

Princess mis-predicted the Alaska market this year and the Drop and Go specials are left and right; too much inventory in Alaska.  Whereas, not to many Princess ships in the Mediterranean and many of the Summer sailings have been sold out for months.

• Like 1

I also like to plan ahead, but it depends what's important to you individually.

I like to be able to choose my cabin, location and type...if you want a suite or mini-suite, a balcony, a certain deck and location, booking early is important.  Ending up with a blocked view, no balcony, way aft, may not bother you, or it may detract from your overall experience, and after all, the whole purpose is to enjoy it.

If looking at available cabins a week before your departure and finding them significantly cheaper would upset you, maybe the gamble is worth it.  To me, I look at the final overall price when I book, and if I think it's fine, then it doesn't bother me if they sell last minute cabins cheaper...I got what I wanted at a price I was OK with.  

When you book directly (I prefer that too), the princess travel rep for your area may be able to switch you around...I know they're very good at rearranging things when a member of our group needs to be added or canceled, someone wants a cabin upgrade, etc.

The point Waltd made about flying is also good.  While there can be last minute airfare bargains, you can't rely on that, and they can easily be higher, or worse, unavailable.  Last thing I want is an 11-hour overseas flight in cramped economy 3-across because that's all that was left.

That said, some time back we booked an Alaska trip late, and as I entered our deck 4 smaller-window cabin I was a bit bummed.  But it turned out to be right near the morning coffee, easy access to the restaurants, fairly uncrowded seating near windows, and was really a pleasant surprise after all.  But in general, since I'm cruising for pleasure, not to save money, I like to tailor it best to our liking, rather than maybe save a few bucks and be stuck with what's left over.

• Like 2