Favorite Cruiseship

Leafpeeper

We sail on Carnival, RCCL, and NCL and enjoy all three cruiselines for different reasons. However, after recently sailing on Carnival Triumph, we have decided that we will only sail Carnival on short cruises because of dining options. We prefer having a choice of different restaurants and not just one main dining room and a very limited dinner buffet that only had one dessert choice. We don't mind one dining room and one buffet on 3-4 day cruises, but nothing longer.

NCL Dawn and RCCL Jewel of the Seas are tied as our favorite cruiseship--can't decide between the two.

We love the Dawn's ten different restaurants with freestyle dining, the cabin decor with cherry wood cabinets and tropical bedspreads, and especially enjoy the Dawn's movie theater and nightly entertainment. NCL also has hot pots for coffee and tea in the cabin with plenty of coffee creamers in the fridge. We enjoyed the stadium style pool deck and Bimini Bar at the top for panoramic views when departing ports. The Dawn also has self serve laundry on each floor, which is great on a ten day cruise.

We also love RCCL Jewel of the Seas with its fantastic solarium and wonderful restaurants from the dining room to the Windjammer and two alternative restaurants. The Windjammer Buffet is unlike any other we've seen on the high seas. You have so many food stations--one of which will cook your steak, chicken, or fish just the way you like it. There are various seating options at the Windjammer from bistro type seating indoors, romantic outdoor seating under the stars, as well as the area in between them that has wicker sofas and chairs with large coffee tables for casual dining. With the main dining room, Portofinos (Italian), Chops (Steaks), Windjammer Buffet, and a fast food pub style restaurant, the ship has alot of dining options for a 7-10 night cruise. Jewel is a gorgeous ship. Wish Jewel was doing at least one Boston to Bermuda cruise in October like they did in 2005. Have to wait until 2007's schedule comes out to see if there are more choices.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

So far our favorite is the RCCL Explorer of the Seas because: 1)It's huge, hardly any movement or rocking and an all-around feeling of spaciousness. 2)More swimming pools, including a quiet one if you don't want the loud music and kids. 3)More dancing opportunities on board in different areas. However, we've only been on 2 other ships: NCL Star, and Carnival Fantasy.

we liked NCL.....we went on the star in Jan... and we are going again .. and we also liked the carnival conquest.. but NCL was our favorite.... the freestyle.... and the vibe of the whole ship was good... we loved it....

the food was great----

the entertainment-----was ok,, good but ok

the dancing----was awesome....

we loved the star ......

So far our favorite is the RCCL Explorer of the Seas because: 1)It's huge, hardly any movement or rocking and an all-around feeling of spaciousness. 2)More swimming pools, including a quiet one if you don't want the loud music and kids. 3)More dancing opportunities on board in different areas. However, we've only been on 2 other ships: NCL Star, and Carnival Fantasy.

Funny that you mentioned Explorer and NCL Star. We are sailing Explorer for the first time in October going to Bermuda and can't wait to check this ship out. We booked a Promenade cabin to try something different. Hope we like it. We are heading to Atlantic City for a few nights after the cruise to make it an extended vacation. I love traveling in October.

We are heading to LA to visit our grandsons in February and will be sailing the NCL Star. I've heard it is a twin to NCL Dawn, which I mentioned is one of my favorite ships. Did you like the Star and did you visit Alcapulco? If so, how did you like the ports? We enjoyed stopping in Cabo and Puerta Vallarta a couple years ago on Vision of the Seas.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Any tips for us sailing to Alcapulco next February? DH loved the $1 Corona on the pier in Cabo San Lucas. Then he enjoyed the Sol Beer in Puerta Vallarta. Wonder what brew he will like in Alcapulco. Any fun excursions you recommend? Thanks!

Mary

Plymouth, MA

The Caribbean Princess was the prettiest ship we've ever sailed, had the best buffet food and we loved "Movies Under the Stars". We've never found a ship on which we loved all of the entertainment, but we've always found some things that were excellent.

For a fun atmosphere, we love Carnival. For relaxation, we loved Princess.

But regarding formal dining meals...I guess we just aren't gourmets (and I'm OK with that) because we preferred Carnival's older dining room menues. In recent cruises we end up eating steak too many nights in the dining rooms.

My favorite ship is Mariner of the Seas. It was filled to the brim with amenities such as in-line skating, ice rink, miniature golf, full court basketaball, dedicated chapel, movie theater, and so on. I also admired the wonderful art and scuplture throughout the ship.

My husband's favorite ships are Jewel of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas. He felt these two ships had many of the same amenities as Mariner, but because they were smaller, they were easier for passengers to naviagate.

I'm with you...I like the bigger cabin on a Carnival cruise, but when it comes to food, they don't seem to care, except for the pizza. I won't cruise carnival or any line on a short trip unless they have an alternative dinning choice restaurant!

You haven't cruised.

What is the "M" class on Celebrity? I am wondering whether it is the Celebrity newer ships. After sailing Carnival Triumph during February School Vacation Week, we are looking into trying new cruiseships that don't have kids in the hot tubs.

New ships that interest me: Crown Princess sailing from NY to Bermuda and Holland America Noordam sailing from NY year round--(moving into NCL's market). Bet it won't be long until RCCL has a ship sailing year round from NY too. Wish one of them would come to Boston for me.

I have friends sailing on Freedom of the Seas and can't wait to see if they feel the ship is too big. I don't know how I would feel sailing with so many other people and having to walk so far to get everywhere.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Give me any HAL S class ship (Maasdam, Veendam, Zaandam, Volendam) 1600 pax or less and if you pick the right time of yr, few kids. We prefer the traditional dining and the quiet elegance of HAL. Truly can't imagine being on a ship w/ 3000+ and 300-400 kids... *ughh*

Summit ( M class ship ), concierge class

Wonderful service

Champagne welcome

cold towels and beverages while coming back from the ports

wonderful thallo pool

very few children ( love kids, i have 4, but on a cruise i really like the adult companionship

love assigned dining. Wonderful way to truly meet some lovely people and lasting friendships

excellent food

excellent service

Nadine

All time favorite S.S. Seabreeze now on the bottom of the atlantic ocean. Call me a romantic but it was old and gave you a glimpse into how really nice cruising used to be.

Current favorite Grandeur of the seas. Easy ship to get around in and nicely decorated. I dont need ice skating rinks:D

SSeeeeeeeuuuuu

Jeff

Archived