Help me decide between hotels in Miami

cruisingwkids

I have two children, ages 3 and 5, and we will be staying in Miami on a Sat and Sun before our cruise, which leaves on a Monday. I've done a lot of internet research and came up with the following hotels that I can get for around $115/night:

Courtyard Marriott - South Beach

Courtyard Marriott - Miami Beach

Hotel Riu - Miami Beach

Intercontinental - Downtown

Does anyone have any advice as to which is the best to choose? Cleanest, safest? Is one better than the other for kids?

Thanks in advance!

The Intercontinental for $115. You must be sailing over the summer. That's a great deal. Would love to know where you got it.

It's a beautiful large high rise hotel located across from a park a block from Bayside. You could also visit Parrot Jungle, a very short cab ride away on Watson Island, across from where the cruise ships dock. Go on Saturday or Sunday for a great view, and from 4 - 5 watch them sail.

Ask for a room overlooking the cruise port as well.

I would stay on the beach.

I love the Courtyard by Marriott in South Beach and while it isn't on the beach, it has a fantastic rooftop pool.

I would pick the South Beach location because you don't need a car and can walk to restaurants and shopping. Mid Beach (the other Courtyard) isn't pedestrian friendly unless you are on the boardwalk which is on the beach side. You would definitely need a car for Mid Beach.

Unless you are a business traveler, there is no reason to stay downtown. I'm really shocked at the amount of people that rave over Bayside Marketplace.

Well, just to round out the opinions... We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Miami Beach because the Intercontinental couldn't put us up once we got there (power company workers had to extend their stay). I thought it was lovely and just a couple blocks away from the Intercontinental, so it was still easy to walk to Bayside Marketplace. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami, right across the street.

Personally, South Beach is way too crowded at night for me. Trying to taxi through there one time was a nightmare.

Signman, got that quote from www.skyauctions.com. I've never used them before, but my sister has and was quite happy. I'm having trouble finding hotels reasonably priced for the end of April. Is there any beach nearby? I'm afraid we'd get bored staying two full days with no beach nearby?

Bequia, saw the Fontainebleu on the internet and loved it, but too pricey for me right now! Quotes I saw were over $300 a night :eek: !

Rumncoke, was the Courtyard Miami Beach on the beach? Was it a safe walk to Bayside?

BlueHerons, was the Courtyard South Beach close to the beach (walking distance?) I read on TripAdvisor that there was a strip club across the street and was overall not a safe neighborhood for kids. Is this true?

Personally I don't think South Beach below 15th St. is a place for kids. Sobe is an adult playground. You are likely to encounter risque displays in shop windows, and topless sunbathing on the beach in front of Lummus Park.

Well, just to round out the opinions... We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Miami Beach because the Intercontinental couldn't put us up once we got there (power company workers had to extend their stay). I thought it was lovely and just a couple blocks away from the Intercontinental, so it was still easy to walk to Bayside Marketplace. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami, right across the street.

Personally, South Beach is way too crowded at night for me. Trying to taxi through there one time was a nightmare.

Uh, no you did not stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach because it is about 10 miles to Bayside Marketplace. You probably stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Miami.

Cabs are everywhere in South Beach and as much time as I've spent there, I've never had a problem. Methinks maybe you were not in South Beach.

Not sure about the strip club and even if it was across the strip, it probably will only be open while your family is sleeping. Most clubs are open from 10PM until and don't even get busy after 1AM.

I would call the hotel directly with your concerns about the beach. I don't think the walk is too far. It is a new hotel so it doesn't have the thin wall problems the older deco hotels have.

All things being equal, I'd still probably stay in South Beach because of the convenience of shopping, dining, and attractions without having to have a car. Also, it is less than 5 miles to the port of Miami.

Bequia, Do you have any info on Hotel Riu in Miami Beach? Looks nice on the internet, and I've read mixed reviews on Trip Advisor

The Hotel RIU chain is a family owned group of about 100 hotels most in places I've never heard of. They cater to an international market that sits perfect with Miami. I've walked past this property many times and have seen it from the boardwalk that runs between the ocean and the hotel. The pool looks inviting and the gardens surrounding it have a lot of nooks and crannies where you can plant your lounge chair. An older 'art deco' hotel built in the 30's that was restored in the 80's.

I always take the tripadvisor reviews with a grain of salt. They're not the 'be all' and 'end all' in hotel reviews. Be that as it may, the reviews are not that bad, actually they're pretty good. The location is excellent. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to book a room here. Post a review when you return. .......;)

Bequia, thanks for the info. It is always nice to get an opinion of someone that has seen it first hand. I've bid up to $170/night on priceline for a hotel on the beach, with no results. I can't find anything on the internet for less than $250/night on the beach. It appears I can get Hotel Riu for about $115/night, so I think I may try it and hope for the best. Hope I won't eat my words later, but it is Miami and they have a pool and a beach and it is vacation, so how bad can it be????:cool:

Archived