Drinks Package Changes

Mad4WDW

7 hours ago, daiB said:

There are hills behind Barcelona which may be blocking the signal. I would be unhappy tonight as Newcastle are playing at home and its on the tele

and it's very frustrating. Could almost wish for a poor signal in Blackpool 🤣

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

How can pre purchase ever be cheaper than paying with free OBC?

It will be different for everyone but for us in advance the Classic Package will be £44.95 x 2 x 14 - 10% = £1,132.74.

Onboard it would be £49.95 x 2 x 14 = £1398.60 - £120 OBC = £1278.60 - 10% = £1150.74.

Not much in it but our low OBC from an early booking makes a difference.

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

It will be different for everyone but for us in advance the Classic Package will be £44.95 x 2 x 14 - 10% = £1,132.74.

Onboard it would be £49.95 x 2 x 14 = £1398.60 - £120 OBC = £1278.60 - 10% = £1150.74.

Don’t quite understand your second calculation. What is the final -10% for. 

22 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

10% is my current Peninsular Club discount for onboard purchases (so any purchase using my own money gets this discount).

There is a built in 10% discount on the prepay price then any Peninsular Club discount is also taken off (even if you pay in advance - hence the extra 10% on the first calculation).

Edited by DamianG

36 minutes ago, DamianG said:

10% is my current Peninsular Club discount for onboard purchases (so any purchase using my own money gets this discount).

There is a built in 10% discount on the prepay price then any Peninsular Club discount is also taken off (even if you pay in advance - hence the extra 10% on the first calculation).

Sorry missed the £44 and £49 in your examples with the pre buy discount already taken off. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Not sure it alters the principle - but I thought the Classic Package bought in advance was £40.45 (and on board would be £44.95) ? 

More generally I can see from your calculation that the two "net" figures come out pretty similar (£1,132 versus £1,150).  However to get to the on board figure of £1,150 you have to "spend" £120 of your OBC.  This amount is still available to you to spend in the first calculation - so provided you are able to spend this amount on other things when on board (speciality dining / excursions / Spa etc) then the first calculation (advance purchase) is better.    

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Not sure it alters the principle - but I thought the Classic Package bought in advance was £40.45 (and on board would be £44.95) ? 

Sorry - think I now understand why the website shows an advance price of £40.45 per day for me. I think this must already include not only the advance purchase 10% discount but also my own club tier discount ? 

• Like 1

On a related point - the difference between the Classic Package and the Deluxe Package appears to be approx £9 or £10 per day. 

Appreciate everyone will be different but looking at the new menus - I'm not convinced the additional drinks available on the Deluxe Package are worth the extra ?   

Might be better to keep the £9 / £10 per day back and spend it on the occasional extra (PAYG) 

Anyone have any views on this ?  

It may be that I've not seen all the menus yet (and there are better drinks available somewhere which might change my view).  I had hoped to see champagne by the glass available on the Deluxe (as per the Celebrity Premium offering) but alas both packages have only the prosecco.  The additional cocktails (which I've seen) do not seem to give that much more either ?   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Sorry - think I now understand why the website shows an advance price of £40.45 per day for me. I think this must already include not only the advance purchase 10% discount but also my own club tier discount ? 

No need for apologies, I think I made a mistake with the Classic Drinks Package cost as I thought that £44.95 was the (already) discounted price online. It would help if I could make a dummy purchase but it's not yet available for our cruise.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

You need to proceed to basket before loyalty discount is applied.  The classic package is £36-40pp for us an increase of 40p if purchased in advance

• Thanks 1

Now that P&O have modernised their drinks packages, I really feel they should match other lines (e.g. Celebrity) and allow you to use your OBC for pre-bookings.

It’s a double whammy against loyal passengers now they offer a discount for pre-booking and no loyalty discount for spending against OBC.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cheshire Blue said:

On a related point - the difference between the Classic Package and the Deluxe Package appears to be approx £9 or £10 per day. 

Appreciate everyone will be different but looking at the new menus - I'm not convinced the additional drinks available on the Deluxe Package are worth the extra ?   

Might be better to keep the £9 / £10 per day back and spend it on the occasional extra (PAYG) 

It may be that I've not seen all the menus yet (and there are better drinks available somewhere which might change my view).  I had hoped to see champagne by the glass available on the Deluxe (as per the Celebrity Premium offering) but alas both packages have only the prosecco.  The additional cocktails (which I've seen) do not seem to give that much more either ?   

Unfortunately none of the packages would make financial sense for us but, if we were to buy one, it would be the deluxe package. Much of what we drink is excluded from the Classic Package. If ordering a glass of wine it would be a 250ml, spirits would be doubles and with a G&T we would want Fevertree tonics. All of these are excluded from the Classic Package. When having a drink we order what we want, not what we are allowed. We could achieve that with the Deluxe package, but not with the Classic. 

I have to admit that if I bought a package I would drink around 3 or 4 times what I currently drink in a day on a cruise, as I would be determined to get maximum value out of it (I know it’s sad, but that’s me) 😂. Equally, I would be irritated that my wife wouldn’t see it the same way and would drink a tiny fraction of the allowance, causing me to constantly remind her how she was wasting money 😂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Out of interest, I added the Deluxe Drinks Package for our forthcoming 30 night cruise to the shopping basket:

£2670.60 for the two of us, after Peninsula discount.  £44.51 pppd.

However, 10 different ports, with a total of three overnight stays.  Call it 16 full sea days, that's works out at £83.45pp per sea day.  We do have a few of drinks on board on port days, but not as many as on sea days.  Which leaves a guesstimation of about £60ish pppd to break even.  PAYG for us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

All a question of taste but there is nothing on the Deluxe Package that will entice us to pay the extra for it either. 
As much as I think P&O is better than most when it comes to fair drink prices I do find it disappointing that they serve Cante Prosecco (currently £8 a bottle in Sainsburys) when there are so many alternatives available. I’d love to see a nice Cremant de Bourgogne for example.

5 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Out of interest, I added the Deluxe Drinks Package for our forthcoming 30 night cruise to the shopping basket:

£2670.60 for the two of us, after Peninsula discount.  £44.51 pppd.

However, 10 different ports, with a total of three overnight stays.  Call it 16 full sea days, that's works out at £83.45pp per sea day.  We do have a few of drinks on board on port days, but not as many as on sea days.  Which leaves a guesstimation of about £60ish pppd to break even.  PAYG for us.

This is how we are thinking too but the other way round for the least “port intensive” cruise we’ve ever been on (6 ports in 2 weeks). With a teenage son as well we are currently swaying towards taking the Classic Package.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Once you take into account the addition of the soft drinks package it does make the whole deal more value for money.

Our boy won't want too many fizzy drinks but as @Britboys called him on my blog last year he is a right "tea wallah" so would likely have several cups a day from Vistas (which we could get for him from our unlimited allowance).

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/22/2023 at 10:13 AM, JeanieC,Aston said:

And a Prosecco has risen from £6.25 to £6.45.

A package is becoming a no brainier.

The only thing thats risen faster than the P&O Prosecco prices in the last 2 years is shares in Apple lol

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

All a question of taste but there is nothing on the Deluxe Package that will entice us to pay the extra for it either. 
As much as I think P&O is better than most when it comes to fair drink prices I do find it disappointing that they serve Cante Prosecco (currently £8 a bottle in Sainsburys) when there are so many alternatives available. I’d love to see a nice Cremant de Bourgogne for example.

They didn't serve Cante on Arvia a few weeks ago its was something else. Probably cheaper. The Peller Ice in the glass house is nicer I think

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

They didn't serve Cante on Arvia a few weeks ago its was something else. Probably cheaper. The Peller Ice in the glass house is nicer I think

Can someone please educate me - what is Peller Ice ?  

Also (from an earlier post) - what is Peller Ice Cold Cuvee ? 

Is it the same and are they available on the Classic or the Deluxe packages ?   

1 hour ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Can someone please educate me - what is Peller Ice ?  

Also (from an earlier post) - what is Peller Ice Cold Cuvee ? 

Is it the same and are they available on the Classic or the Deluxe packages ?   

Sorry, yes this is the same, apologies this isnt the clearest photo, but it’s a Canadian Sparkling wine, only available in the Glasshouse.  It’s on the Deluxe only.

IMG_1045.png