Ushuaia and Punta Arenas as Departure Points and "Deals"

lamphs

Apologies if this is not suited for a new thread...my search did not indicate anything obvious.

Rumor has it that one, with a flexible schedule, can go to Ushuaia or Punta Arenas and within a few days find a better price on cruises to Antarctica than if one books in advance.  Does this hold true or is this an Internet myth?

(I realize the many nuances of Antarctica cruises - ship capacity, activities, etc.  My question is very general at this point.)

This has been the case in Ushuaia, but it varies by season. When demand is low, this has been a possibility, but it was far less common in the years just before the pandemic when demand was through the roof.

Now that there are a lot of larger newly-built ships, it could be the case again, but in the past few years we've also seen a handful of fantastic last-minute deals being published online.

I have been in Ushuaia 4 or 5 times although not recently and have always seen signs on travel stores on the main street advertising Antarctica cruises.  I have no idea what sort of a deal they offer as I never checked.

DON

5 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

This has been the case in Ushuaia, but it varies by season. When demand is low, this has been a possibility, but it was far less common in the years just before the pandemic when demand was through the roof.

Now that there are a lot of larger newly-built ships, it could be the case again, but in the past few years we've also seen a handful of fantastic last-minute deals being published online.

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have been in Ushuaia 4 or 5 times although not recently and have always seen signs on travel stores on the main street advertising Antarctica cruises.  I have no idea what sort of a deal they offer as I never checked.

DON

Thanks for this info.  I'll continue to monitor this thread.  In one of my Facebook travel groups, I am also getting mixed results re: last minute deal availability.

Selfishly, I was monitoring online deals for the 22-23 season, but the airfare associated with the deals, either cash or miles, was pricey to book at last minute.  I am thinking about going to Ushuaia in 23-24, finding a deal, or if not, intra South American flights are readily available and exploring some of Chile or Argentina.

If I find anything of significance, I'll post as I believe in giving back.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend keeping a steady eye on websites that sell cruises, the websites of companies that go to Antarctica and also the homesites of cruise companies for deals. We got to Antarctica this past winter for under $3,000 person on a luxury ship with 150 passengers.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2023 at 8:48 PM, Bella0714 said:

I recommend keeping a steady eye on websites that sell cruises, the websites of companies that go to Antarctica and also the homesites of cruise companies for deals. We got to Antarctica this past winter for under $3,000 person on a luxury ship with 150 passengers.

That sounds mighty fine! What ship? For how long? How'd you find the deal? TYIA!