Walking around Quebec

RN_Prof

I know this may belong in the disability forum, but I figure people here will have the answers. My wife and I are staying in old-town Quebec before our cruise. I want to explore the Citadell and Place Royale, but I usually use a rollator walker (a walker with four wheels) when I walk long distances. From some YouTube videos I've seen, there are a lot of stairs and hills. Is it possible to get around with a walker in Quebec City, or would I be better off with hiking poles?

3 hours ago, RN_Prof said:

Is it possible to get around with a walker in Quebec City, or would I be better off with hiking poles?

You have the funicular which will take you from the old town up to where the Chateau Frontenac is-- it's accessible. From there the Citadel is a significant 15-20 minute walk. Place Royale is in Old Town and doest require the Funicular. 

For the Citadel you might want to consider an Uber or taxi even though its a short trip-- it would over the Funicular and moderate climb to to the fort. 

Not familiar with a rollator walker but based on how you describe it, I'm thinking it might be somewhat uncomfortable to use for areas within (the walls) of the old town. Some of the sidewalks are narrow, some of the streets/walkways are cobblestone like so might be bumpy, etc.  If you're ok with that, the rollator might work for you.

Some of the paths/side streets connecting from the main street Grande Allee/Rue St Louis to the Citadell should be fine for the rollator walker.  It is a bit of a hike though.  Note there's also pathway (Promenade des Gouverneurs) that goes around the perimeter of the plateau from the Plains of Abraham, past the Citadell, to close to the Chateau Frontenac with nice views of the St Lawrence and that's fairly stairs intensive.

To get from the lower area of Place Royale, Quartier Petit Champlain, etc. there is the funicular which is likely your best bet.  There are stairs up/down and also a winding street/sidewalk.  

20 hours ago, RN_Prof said:

Is it possible to get around with a walker in Quebec City, or would I be better off with hiking poles?

I've been to Quebec this summer and it's hilly by definition. The old town with it's boulders is not an easy walk as well. I would go for the hiking poles if possible.