The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 18th, 2023

richwmn

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Bailey's check-up was great.  She has gained 1/2 pound.  She has basil cell cancer of the colon.  We were going to put her on chemo pills the beginning of April but all the requirements for us to keep us safe and her age, 17.5 years, we decided after one to stop it.  Her blood work today was super and the Dr. said to see him again in 4-6 months.  She is doing great and doesn't know she is sick.  Thank you all for your prayers and concerns.

Dixie, that is great news about Bailey.  I hope she continues to do well for a long time.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I still have the headache, but it should go in a week or two.  I've had it since we were in Ireland, must be 4 weeks ago now, so it is time for it to start dissipating!

Ann, I hope that headache goes away very soon.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Blending Museums and New York, in the Aviation Museum in Gander, NL, there is a piece of the twin towers that has been donated to the museum, along with a large binder of thank you letters and an  ATC  screen of the flights converging on the airport.

IMG_0156.thumb.jpeg.7deacb5a33947b780441670954820a42.jpeg

IMG_0164.MOV 20.25 MB · 1 download  

Ann, thanks for the picture from the museum in Gander.  The town really stepped up when needed.

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Wonderful photos of NY. Great memories!  I was born in Brooklyn, moved to Staten Island at 12. Went to multiple colleges of the NY City University, then Rutgers Newark branch for grad school. I took the ferry most every day for 2 years for classes at Hunter College. Never took any pictures, was too busy running for buses, trains and ferries. Grew up going to the NY museums!  I cruised out of NY at 16 on the Home Lines Oceanic. In 2013 DH and I cruised into NY returning from LA around the Horn. It was February, pre dawn, 30F. We were packed to disembark but had light jackets, needed parkas with the wind at the bow!  @JazzyV captured the sights beautifully!  

Besides the NY Metropolitan and NY Museum of Modern Art which had Picasso’s Guernica and Monet’s Water Lillies back then each in their own rooms! I think my favorite museums we’ve visited are the archeological museums in Athens, Naples and Santorini. I’m sure I would love Cairo’s but doubt I’ll get ever get there. 

I have copied down the recipe for Flatbread!  Thank you @dfish 

Were making progress working with the eye pressure device (tonometer). The software isn’t sending the data to the eye doctor; the company apparently needs to update an account for her. So far DH sends it via her email. The readings have been good to high so far. We hope it’ll all stay ok until August 1 surgery. Thank you for your continued good thoughts and prayers, always the best!  

Blessings for all the needs and concerns posted, I keep you all in my heart!  And to all in need of healing, comfort or hope near and far. Happy for all those celebrating 🥂 Life is Good!  

On the more somber side:  My NM fire chief asked me to write the Last Call for our department members memorial Saturday. I’m honored and grateful to be asked!  But it is so hard!  I wish I could be there but we won’t be traveling until well after surgery. The Last Call is put out over the 911 radio from Dispatch. It calls out twice for the departed member (by his Man Number) to respond, then acknowledges that he has made his Last Call. There’s a very brief mention of name, rank and departments where they served, acknowledgment of their years of dedication and the sacrifice of their family. It ends stating that he is now a Guardian of all responders. Then the radio traffic pause is released. After Last Call, the Four Fives are rung at the memorial:  the memorial bell is struck 5 times by 4 people each, remembering how fire companies used to announce call alarms long before radio dispatches, and the 4 Fives was to announce the death of a company member. Writing a personalized version was hard. I can never get through a memorial without a flow of tears. I’ve lost several chiefs, one in the line of duty, and many friends, with more to come. Sorry for my somberness but this too is part of our journey together. The department member being remembered Saturday was a firefighter, his wife was also EMS and we all worked side by side, day or night for 19 years as volunteers. People don’t realize that in the US ~70% of EMS and firefighters are volunteers covering the rural communities. Thanks for your support here.  

This is my Chief and me in 2017. IMG_1599.thumb.jpeg.a82b09bd8393cd685f595c39e14a567f.jpeg
m—

Maureen, I appreciated all the information about the last call.  I hope writing the last call was not too difficult for your.  That's a great picture.  I'm glad the pressure meter is working and hope the pressure stays low until the surgery.

3 hours ago, lobsternight said:

Feeling the heat in Vancouver, was a shock coming off our wonderful and cool Alaska cruise.  Decided to take the day off and get stuff done, instead I'm on the phone.

Mrs Lobsternight just had to have this gazebo and its big.  It only made sense to expand our concrete patio, so been working on that.  Well one thing led to another, I decided I would treat myself to a small spa, and found a great deal on line.  Had a hell of a time ordering it, would not process.  Today I awoke to discover I now have 4 spas on the way.  Think I may have it resolved.

It will be interesting to see how many hot tubs are delivered.  I hope you do have the problem solved.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Welcome home!

Thank you Graham and Lenda.  The Nephrologist is very pleased and said I'm doing great!  That was music to my ears!  No more tests and appointments with her for 6 months.  My primary care physician will most likely do tests in August, so we'll see how I'm doing then.  On another note, another thank you to Gerry @ger_77for the tip about taking a photo of my at-home bp.  I showed it to her today (of course it was higher there as always thanks to my white coat syndrom).  And she put my at-home reading on my after-care paperwork. 🙂  

Wonderful news Dixie!

Carolyn, that is good news from the doctor today.

52 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, thank you for the offer to post the links for the port of the day, and my photos, if any, when we travel.  I will let you know what days I will need you to cover.  We haven't decided on travel days yet.  Nice of you to offer!

Sandi, just let me know the dates.  A warning to the Dailyites, the links might be a little later than normal, but they will be posted.  😉

24 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Well the mother and daughter cleaning ladies turned out to be originally from Sao Palo, Brazil and have been going strong since 8 AM. This is a deep clean and they are definitely doing that: everything has been moved,  cleaned underneath including large items like dressers, appliances and even the fridge fridge and it’s vents. The daughter is married to an active duty USAF pilot and Air Force Academy graduate.

Our house will be spic and span tonight and they will definitely be hired for two cleanings a month. We hit the jackpot with this great team.

Bruce, I'm glad the cleaners are such hard workers.  It seems you hit the jackpot.

3 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny afternoon. I’ve sailed out of NYC many times over the years and day trips by bus and train as a child.

Fluff is still doing Okay and seems comfortable. The vet appointment is at 7:20.I pray for the best outcome possible.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

I hope the vet give you a good report and a plan to help keep Fluff comfortable.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good evening all, back from the vet and Fluff is doing okay for now . She said for now just monitor her and we will know when the time comes but Not Now. She said we can stop the pain medication and did put her on a mild dose

of Lasix. Thank God for my regular vet ❤️🙏🐾

Thanks again for all the support and love 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

After DH finishes his nightcap, we can turn on the dishwasher so there will be no dirty dishes until breakfast.  It reached the point where I was doing what I call creative dishwasher loading.

43 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening all, back from the vet and Fluff is doing okay for now . She said for now just monitor her and we will know when the time comes but Not Now. She said we can stop the pain medication and did put her on a mild dose

of Lasix. Thank God for my regular vet ❤️🙏🐾

Thanks again for all the support and love 

That is a very good report under the circumstances.  Our older dachshund was on Lasix toward the end of her life.  It really made a differnce.  As a side note, both of our fathers were on Lasix at the same time.  I agree with your vet that you will know when it is time.  Before then, I hope younabd Fluff have a .lot more time to enjoy being together.

Lenda 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks all!  Love museums,  from a smaller jewel in Lisbon, the magnificent Hermitage seeing the treasury on our second visit,  and the delightful Musee de Cluny and Marmottan in Paris.  

NYC is one of our favourite places.  Great museums, the Met, the amazing Frick,  the MOMA where  DS had some of his work displayed. We have seen Julia Roberts and Helen Mirren on Broadway, DH worked in NYC with the NYPD after 911.  Celebrated st Patrick’s day at the parade, lunch where Harry met Sally.  We left our heart there. 

IMG_1609.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

IMG_1628.jpeg

IMG_1636.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_1663.jpeg

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1686.jpeg

IMG_1604.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_1573.jpeg