Starbucks gift cards/app on Norwegian Cruise line

bareade1

Has anyone been on a Norwegian cruise recently and know if you can use the Starbucks App or gift card?  I'm getting very conflicting information.  Any information would be great! We leave in a couple of weeks on the Getaway so just wondering.  Thank you!

To piggyback off this question, has anybody with either the unlimited Starbucks or the premium plus beverage package able to earn stars on their included Starbucks beverages? I am 90% sure that wouldn't be allowed (especially since you're not really paying directly for the drink and can really be abused), but I thought it would be worth asking/finding out.

Edited by Dajbman22

3 minutes ago, Dajbman22 said:

To piggyback off this question, has anybody with either the unlimited Starbucks or the premium plus beverage package able to earn stars on their included Starbucks beverages? I am 90% sure that wouldn't be allowed (especially since you're not really paying directly for the drink and can really be abused), but I thought it would be worth asking/finding out.

I don't think you would because you need to use the app/giftcard to obtain stars and with the package they swipe your cruise card,

I have used my Starbucks app on multiple NCL ships, including the Getaway. You don't need wi-fi to use the app but your balance won't update until you do get wi-fi or data. You can ask the barista for a receipt which will show your current balance after purchase (but I don't bother).

• Like 1

I know that in land locations you can scan your starbucks card barcode to just earn stars but then pay another way, so that is where I was thinking this could be done, but I assume it probably would be really complicated on a ship. I may ask onboard if it's doable just out of curiosity, but again, I highly doubt it would be allowed even if the system on land allows earning stars without paying with a starbucks gift card. 

I used it many times recently on Breakaway. I put my gift card I had on my app.  I always keep a good balance with gift cards. My balance didn’t update until I got off the ship. I didn’t have Wi-Fi . I am sure if I had run out of available credit it would of declined. It I knew I had loaded plenty of $$ .

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:43 AM, Dajbman22 said:

I know that in land locations you can scan your starbucks card barcode to just earn stars but then pay another way, so that is where I was thinking this could be done, but I assume it probably would be really complicated on a ship. I may ask onboard if it's doable just out of curiosity, but again, I highly doubt it would be allowed even if the system on land allows earning stars without paying with a starbucks gift card. 

Let’s see… how many stars for a drink with a cost of $0 with the package?