Regatta Disappointment

nadalina

10 hours ago, bobolz said:

I’m sorry to hear about the OPs experience, but happy to hear about others  recent positive comments. We are traveling on the regatta in late Sept for the California coast itinerary. For those that have traveled during this time and this 7 day itinerary (LA to LA) , I was curious how the seas were , ie were they rough during this time of year? . How were they around Santa Barbara since that is the only tender port. I prefer the O classships Versus the R class oships like regatta, but looks like regatta has been upgraded since last time I was on board which was 8+ years ago. Also is the port in LA always San Pedro? Is that very far from LAX ? 

thanks in advance for any feedback

We were on the second CA coastal in the second half of Sept 2022. There was one night (maybe heading north to SFO?) where the ship was moving noticeably (front and back up/down). I really enjoyed my post-dinner walk where I circled each inside deck at least once...kind of like being on a swing...whee!

The Santa Barbara tendering was not memorable so I guess the water was calm. It was a sunny day.

Regatta is shiny and sparkly 🙂

As others have mentioned, port is in San Pedro. Another option for airports is Long Beach (LGB). Southwest and Delta (and Hawaiian) fly out of it https://www.longbeach.gov/lgb/airlines-destinations/

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

Agree with Amhuntferry - we were on the May 11th run and there was some noticable movement on the way up to San Francisco from Ensenada but it wasn't severe. The ship is in very good condition - our first Oceania trip - food was very good - service excellent. We embarked in San Pedro but chose to stay at the Residence Inn Marriott Downtown in Long Beach as thought it might be quieter than either the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree. Staff was excellent as was the room and facility - free breakfast - close to the Queen Mary which we visited the day before sailing. About a ten dollar Uber to the ship. Have a great cruise!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/4/2023 at 12:57 AM, bobolz said:

I’m sorry to hear about the OPs experience, but happy to hear about others  recent positive comments. We are traveling on the regatta in late Sept for the California coast itinerary. For those that have traveled during this time and this 7 day itinerary (LA to LA) , I was curious how the seas were , ie were they rough during this time of year? . How were they around Santa Barbara since that is the only tender port. I prefer the O classships Versus the R class oships like regatta, but looks like regatta has been upgraded since last time I was on board which was 8+ years ago. Also is the port in LA always San Pedro? Is that very far from LAX ? 

thanks in advance for any feedback

>I was curious how the seas were, ie were they rough during this time of year?

Sailors speak of "seas and swells".  "Seas" are waves from nearby winds, "Swells" are waves from distant winds, and in the case of the Pacific Ocean can travel easily from winter-storms-in-July down by Australia, etc.

>Also is the port in LA always San Pedro?

The terminal in Long Beach is owned by Carnival.  There are 4 city-owned berths in San Pedro (in order: Berths 93, 92, 46, and 55), so it would be weird to see a NCL-owned ship in Long Beach.

>Is that very far from LAX ?

That distance is best measured in traffic, not miles.  Figure 30-45 minutes, "plus or minus a day or two".    🙄

>Is that very far from LAX ?

That distance is best measured in traffic, not miles.  Figure 30-45 minutes, "plus or minus a day or two".    🙄

Spoken like a native😂. We have boarded and disembarked ships of Crystal (Symphony, ) Silversea (Silver Shadow,) and Regent (Voyager) in San Pedro. It was always amusing to see our small ship tucked away amidst the Carnival behemoths 😉

On 6/5/2023 at 1:36 PM, Rally said:

>Is that very far from LAX ?

That distance is best measured in traffic, not miles.  Figure 30-45 minutes, "plus or minus a day or two".    🙄

Spoken like a native😂. We have boarded and disembarked ships of Crystal (Symphony, ) Silversea (Silver Shadow,) and Regent (Voyager) in San Pedro. It was always amusing to see our small ship tucked away amidst the Carnival behemoths 😉

Funny you should say that...I read once where we in So Cal always talk about time not distance when talking about getting from point A to point B. I had never really thought about it before then..but it sure is true for me and my friends here in SD!! 🙂 

• Like 1