Port of Ravenna to city transportation options

22CeeBeeNC22

The bus looks like a great option. My concern is with the few other options available to get to the city, only 2 buses for the whole morning and over 2,000 ship passengers can we depend on the bus to get into the city.  I’ve read that there are very few taxis.

Plus concern with getting back to the ship in the afternoon 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

The Ravenna Tourism Board has info about a shuttle to the pier.  It appears to leave from popular hotels so find one that's closest to where you are or where you want to be.  There is additional transportation information under PLAN.

Shuttle bus - Ravenna / Porto Corsini Cruise Terminal - Ravenna Turismo

Runs on Sundays and, it appears, on embarkation days. But the OP is going from ship to city center. I think on second day in port, an overnighter. Doesn’t run those days, at least for our day.

• Thanks 1

If you're travelling soon, you might want to check whether the transport options have been affected by the recent flooding. It was pretty severe in Ravenna and some attractions are closed as a result.

Edited by MELso

On 5/20/2023 at 10:42 PM, 22CeeBeeNC22 said:

Does anyone have experience traveling from the cruise ship port in Ravenna into the city? Not an organized tour so no transportation is pre-planned. 

What cruise line will you be on?  On my recent Royal Caribbean B2B cruise that had my turnaround day in Ravenna, they offered a shuttle bus from the ship into Ravenna to the train station.  It is designed for disembarking passengers.  However as a continuing passenger, I was told I could use it and I could then ride back to the ship on the same shuttle.  The return shuttle is designed for embarking passengers.  The shuttle was $10 each way.  From the ship, the shuttle started at 7:30 am.  However, I could not find someone on the ship that knew how late in the afternoon it stopped running back to the ship.  Probably a couple hours before sailaway. 

I have read that Royal’s sister company, Celebrity, also offered such a service.  

FYI, I decided NOT to use the service that day because it was pouring down rain and everything was slowed down with long lines for everything. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Does anyone know if we arrive from Bologna via train, can we pick that shuttle up to go to the pier thru RC?  When we disembark do we need to purchase tickets in advance to go to the Train station, or can we just get on and pay?  Any information is truly appreciated.

On 5/24/2023 at 3:36 AM, MeHeartCruising said:

What cruise line will you be on?  On my recent Royal Caribbean B2B cruise that had my turnaround day in Ravenna, they offered a shuttle bus from the ship into Ravenna to the train station.  It is designed for disembarking passengers.  However as a continuing passenger, I was told I could use it and I could then ride back to the ship on the same shuttle.  The return shuttle is designed for embarking passengers.  The shuttle was $10 each way.  From the ship, the shuttle started at 7:30 am.  However, I could not find someone on the ship that knew how late in the afternoon it stopped running back to the ship.  Probably a couple hours before sailaway. 

I have read that Royal’s sister company, Celebrity, also offered such a service.  

FYI, I decided NOT to use the service that day because it was pouring down rain and everything was slowed down with long lines for everything. 

Think it runs till 1500 

9 minutes ago, ChicagoCubsFan said:

Does anyone know if we arrive from Bologna via train, can we pick that shuttle up to go to the pier thru RC?  When we disembark do we need to purchase tickets in advance to go to the Train station, or can we just get on and pay?  Any information is truly appreciated.

I just bought my shuttle tickets yesterday, only offer Ravenna to the port and back 🥺🥺. $10 each way, we will be notified of the time later on 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I'm arriving in Ravenna in July and we've rented a car. The only problem is, how do I get to the car rental facility in Ravenna?

I read people saying there are not many taxis in Ravenna (also no Uber), but will there be some taxis waiting at the port? I don't mind even sharing a cab. 

On 5/28/2023 at 10:08 AM, ChicagoCubsFan said:

Yes, but you need to call RC to buy the tickets.  It's not available online.  I assume that you could probably just get on and pay at the time without a reservation, but I am just assuming, don't know that for a fact.

This port sounds so confusing.  We are doing a B2B next year leaving from Ravenna disembarking in Barcelona.  

We plan on flying into Bologna, spending a day or so then taking the train to Ravenna.  Anyone know the distance between the train station and cruise terminal?

TIA

27 minutes ago, jonsmom said:

This port sounds so confusing.  We are doing a B2B next year leaving from Ravenna disembarking in Barcelona.  

We plan on flying into Bologna, spending a day or so then taking the train to Ravenna.  Anyone know the distance between the train station and cruise terminal?

TIA

7 miles. I have now read several reports that there are Celebrity buses going in and out of Ravenna all day on our sail day

1 hour ago, jonsmom said:

So in other words the best time to arrive in Ravenna is embarkation day. Not the day before

If you arrive the day before you'll have time to see Ravenna, which is very worthwhile -- they have some of the finest mosaics in Italy. There are hotels in town, as well as very good local food and wine. 

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you arrive the day before you'll have time to see Ravenna, which is very worthwhile -- they have some of the finest mosaics in Italy. There are hotels in town, as well as very good local food and wine. 

I heard that it is beautiful and I may travel right to Ravenna from Bologna instead of spending time there.  My concern is getting to port from a hotel in town.

1 hour ago, jonsmom said:

I heard that it is beautiful and I may travel right to Ravenna from Bologna instead of spending time there.  My concern is getting to port from a hotel in town.

The whole town center is walkable and small. You can walk from a number of hotels to the train station where the shuttles leave from.

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

The whole town center is walkable and small. You can walk from a number of hotels to the train station where the shuttles leave from.

Thank you - I may take train from Bologna airport to Ravenna upon arrival and stay near the train station.  I was hoping to not get off a flight and head straight to Ravenna but that may be my best bet.  Any recommendations for hotels nearby?  NH?

2 minutes ago, jonsmom said:

Thank you - I may take train from Bologna airport to Ravenna upon arrival and stay near the train station.  I was hoping to not get off a flight and head straight to Ravenna but that may be my best bet.  Any recommendations for hotels nearby?  NH?

Sorry, I went to Ravenna as part of a different trip (short detour from Rome) a couple of years ago. The hotel I picked was extremely basic as I was only there one night and I wanted to be closer to the Basilica of San Vitale and the archaeological museum.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jonsmom said:

Any recommendations for hotels nearby?  NH?

FWIW, we've booked the NH for the night before our upcoming cruise departing June 12.  It looks pretty close to the train station (a long block away?) and as cruisemom says, most of the key attractions around town look pretty walkable.  We wanted to stay closer to the train station to keep our transfer options open and somewhat easier (eg. Bus station/stop is nearby, cruise ship transfers seem to be from the train station, don't have to lug our luggage too far when we get into town, etc).  

A side note:  FWIW, we had AMEX travel (we booked through them to utilize an AMEX travel credit) contact NH Ravenna recently and confirm they are unaffected by the floods and trains were making it to Ravenna.  I'm a bit skeptical about the trains because the Trenitalia website seems to indicate the 

Ravenna and Castelbolognese via Lugo segment is still out of service with not estimated date of repair but is being linked in the mean time via bus(??). 😕

2 hours ago, Milhouse said:

FWIW, we've booked the NH for the night before our upcoming cruise departing June 12.  It looks pretty close to the train station (a long block away?) and as cruisemom says, most of the key attractions around town look pretty walkable.  We wanted to stay closer to the train station to keep our transfer options open and somewhat easier (eg. Bus station/stop is nearby, cruise ship transfers seem to be from the train station, don't have to lug our luggage too far when we get into town, etc).  

A side note:  FWIW, we had AMEX travel (we booked through them to utilize an AMEX travel credit) contact NH Ravenna recently and confirm they are unaffected by the floods and trains were making it to Ravenna.  I'm a bit skeptical about the trains because the Trenitalia website seems to indicate the 

Ravenna and Castelbolognese via Lugo segment is still out of service with not estimated date of repair but is being linked in the mean time via bus(??). 😕