O'Sheehans vs The Local

Red-Sol

52 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

Some ships still have "O'Sheehans" many now have "The Local"....my question is are the menus the same for both?

Pretty similar. IIRC, O'Sheehans still has a few "Irish Classics" that I don't recall seeing on menus for The Local.

• Like 2

Reason I asked is when we went to the Local on Prima they had some hot fudge Sundaes that were actually pretty good and there wasn't any charge. I remember O'Sheehans having an upcharge for any of the ice cream they served...but it's been awhile since I have been in an O'sheehans.

Edited by Red-Sol

1 hour ago, Bonobochick said:

Pretty similar. IIRC, O'Sheehans still has a few "Irish Classics" that I don't recall seeing on menus for The Local.

Last few trips have been on Local vs O'Sheehan ships, but the menu for the Local was paired down significantly. All the irish dishes are gone, along with many other of my favorites.

• Like 1

Between mid January (Getaway's OSH) and mid April (Epic's OSH) - the all day (non-breakfast) menu has been similarly trimmed and "simplified" or shortened, that Irish stew (soup) is gone - last month on our TA, there is not even a chicken noodles soup as the default, rather - ask the server for the "Soup of The Day" or else, nothing else available.  It's the same choice upstairs in the buffet/Garden Cafe - for those that like "simplicity" - it's a winner option, for some of us, not really ... but, it is for our / their (in)convenience, helping NCL corporate to stay within budgets and keep their marginal costs down, waste reduced. 

Oh, wait, you can order chicken noodles soup off the "Swift" or Room Service Menu ... and, it is complimentary for Haven guests (and, full suites - if I'm not mistaken.)  Cool, huh - everyone can get that for a nominal $9.95 delivery charge + 20% ... it's a good way to use up any excess non-refundable onboard credits given, especially if you get any refunds for missed ports, cancelled shorex, etc. 

OSH's all-day menu is now in a "slick" loose-leaf binder, so they can change out selections & choices easily and quickly reprint them.  If it is not shown there, we can't say they aren't available or ran out of certain items ... rather clever move.  I can only imagine - saying this with a good dose of humor intended 😆 - what the late night, limited options menu look like in choices.  It's complimentary & included, right.  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

that Irish stew (soup) is gone

Which displeases me as that was one of my go-to items along with the nachos.

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

but the menu for the Local was paired down significantly

I have noticed that. I feel like with each cruise I've taken in the last year or so that there is less and less variety. 😣

13 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Reason I asked is when we went to the Local on Prima they had some hot fudge Sundaes that were actually pretty good and there wasn't any charge. I remember O'Sheehans having an upcharge for any of the ice cream they served...but it's been awhile since I have been in an O'sheehans.

Yes, we loved the hot fudge sundaes on the Prima.  After that cruise,  We ordered and paid for one on another cruise just wasn't  as good.   Hopefully they will keep them on the Prima.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Between mid January (Getaway's OSH) and mid April (Epic's OSH) - the all day (non-breakfast) menu has been similarly trimmed and "simplified" or shortened, that Irish stew (soup) is gone - last month on our TA, there is not even a chicken noodles soup as the default, rather - ask the server for the "Soup of The Day" or else, nothing else available.  It's the same choice upstairs in the buffet/Garden Cafe - for those that like "simplicity" - it's a winner option, for some of us, not really ... but, it is for our / their (in)convenience, helping NCL corporate to stay within budgets and keep their marginal costs down, waste reduced. 

Oh, wait, you can order chicken noodles soup off the "Swift" or Room Service Menu ... and, it is complimentary for Haven guests (and, full suites - if I'm not mistaken.)  Cool, huh - everyone can get that for a nominal $9.95 delivery charge + 20% ... it's a good way to use up any excess non-refundable onboard credits given, especially if you get any refunds for missed ports, cancelled shorex, etc. 

OSH's all-day menu is now in a "slick" loose-leaf binder, so they can change out selections & choices easily and quickly reprint them.  If it is not shown there, we can't say they aren't available or ran out of certain items ... rather clever move.  I can only imagine - saying this with a good dose of humor intended 😆 - what the late night, limited options menu look like in choices.  It's complimentary & included, right.  

The Irish stew was gone by my late February Getaway.

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Is the "bacon" mentioned in the English breakfast actually English/Irish back bacon, or just American bacon as usual do you know?

Been in O'Sheehan's many times but never early enough for breakfast!

@podgeandrodge Not an "expert" on bacon cuts but doubtful that NCL would serve "back" bacon (pricer - pork loin & belly cuts) - was a relatively thick slice, larger than US retail ones sold in supermarket.  Pretty good, crispy and not over-cooked ... the ones in the buffet tend to fall apart easily.  

• Thanks 1

Bacon - ahhh, found it ... digitally on DW's SS Galaxy's folder 

20230427_093643[1].jpg

P.S.  Baked beans, as you might see & per DW, were "hiding" in plain sights, apparently 😉 drowning in that liquid ... 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

Yes.  Vacation 44 said the menu is the same.  And you said the menu is the same or similar.  It is significantly smaller.    

Yes, similar but smaller.  I really didn't take the class, and as you suggest I probably would fail the test.  I just know that if it's near midnight on the Sky, I can get a decent burger, sandwich, etc. at the Sports Bar.  I know this mainly from first hand experience this year.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK