Departure flight time from Portsmouth port

Tak8

I'm looking at NCL for an Ireland cruise next May.  The cruise leaves/return from Portsmouth. Port arrival time is Saturday 5am.  What would be the earliest comfortable flight time from Heathrow?  Is Heathrow the best option to return to US.  

For a transfer from Portsmouth, London Gatwick is easier than London Heathrow. Direct hourly trains from Portsmouth&Southsea station (5 minute taxi ride from the port) take about 90 minutes & can cost as little as £6 pp, whereas to Heathrow would be by Nat Express bus from the cruise terminal (Portsmouth International Port), and altho also direct are less frequent and take around 3 hours

And flights from Gatwick tend to be cheaper.

But a much more restricted number of flights and US destinations than from Heathrow. 

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

I 've only ever sailed from Portsmouth International Port by ferry, but I suspect that 5am is ship's arrival time, and altho immigration & customs are often manned at ungodly hours because of the ferry timetables they might not clear the ship for disembarkation until gone 7am.

So at a guess and based on current train & bus timetables (so don't book on flights based on this) a flight after 2.30pm if by bus to Heathrow (12.30pm on a saturday if by private transfer, about £150), or if by train to Gatwick a flight after 1pm (no quicker by road)

JB 🙂 

Edited by John Bull