Embarkation time- is HAL strict about boarding times?

Aprile

We just got notification that we are in Boarding Group N. Our check-in time is 3:20 p.m. for a 5 p.m. sailing. If we arrive earlier, will they make us wait or will they let us board? Wondering if anyone has had experience with this and can hopefully provide some insight. Thanks in advance.

It depends on where your cruise leaves from. In most cases, the time isn't enforced. You check in and then get assigned a boarding number, which is based on when you got through check in, not the time assigned on your boarding pass. Then you wait for your number to be called to board. 

What's your embarkation port?

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It depends on where your cruise leaves from. In most cases, the time isn't enforced. You check in and then get assigned a boarding number, which is based on when you got through check in, not the time assigned on your boarding pass. Then you wait for your number to be called to board. 

What's your embarkation port?

Thanks, it's Montreal.

Notice the irony of HAL trying to smooth out complaints about embarkation back-ups by assigning embarkation times, which may also be linked to the work schedule required for the readiness of sections of cabins on arrival.

Yet, the common message here is to ignore any assigned embarkation times....and ..... to complain about embarkation back-ups and cabins not being ready.  Sigh. One, or the other, folks. 😵‍💫

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

This will be our first HAL cruise and I too was shocked when the day after printing our boarding documents I get an email stating that we are in group "N" for 3:20 boarding. This is for the Zuiderdam out of Boston on 9/9/23. Even though I finished the online check-in many weeks ago, I didn't print our luggage tags and boarding passes until 2 days ago.

On all of the cruises that we've ever taken, we have never been given such a late boarding time! What is the earliest that people are seeing embarkation for this cruise?

We're traveling with my father, who has some issues that would make boarding earlier better for us. 

Should I bother to contact HAL and request a change in boarding time, to ideally around noon? Will they change it if asked? I'm worried about "rolling the dice" and just showing up early.

Thanks,

Chas.

12 minutes ago, chas said:

Should I bother to contact HAL and request a change in boarding time, to ideally around noon? Will they change it if asked?

Yes and the sooner the better. There are going to be a lot of people requesting an earlier time and there is only so much capacity. It's also going to depend on how many 4* & 5* Mariners aren't on your sailing.

@chas HAL might change your boarding time if asked, but don't believe you can specify the boarding time you want, so it may not necessarily be what you're looking for. Wouldn't hurt to call, though.

Unless Boston has changed their process, you can check in and board earlier than what's on your boarding pass.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

22 minutes ago, chas said:

Thank you very much Halijo1935 and POA1!

I was able to use HAL's chat and they changed the boarding times for us.

Safe travels everyone!

Good news - starting a new week on a positive!!🥸

Thanks for following up on the outcome, helpful to others who may need to adjust their time.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!!🚢