Tipping onboard above mandatory tips?

These are T&Cs for UK bookings, from the RC website, which we have to accept to make a booking. Not sure whether UK government rules override this but wouldn’t have thought so.

Do I have to pay extra for My Time Dining?

Guests who choose ‘My Time Dining’ on all European sailings will have gratuities automatically added to their bill,  as they may be served by different members of the team each night. This means tips for your waiting staff – as well as other dining and housekeeping staff – will be included in the quoted price for ‘My Time Dining’ on your cruise holiday.

Guests who choose our open dining option may opt-in to pre-paid gratuities for dining, or add them to their account at check-out.

For all European sailings you will need to pre-pay your gratuities because you may be served by different members of the team each night. This means tips for your waiting staff – as well as other dining and housekeeping staff – will be included in the quoted price for your cruise holiday.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:05 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Since you don't pay for Diamond drinks, if you don't tip, the bartender literally gets nothing, right?  Not being Diamond yet, I hadn't really thought about that.  Yeah, under those circumstances I would feel it necessary to tip.  

Late last year they started providing a $0 receipt for Diamond Vouchers. This allows us to write in a tip. This got off to a rather inconsistent start though.. Even on my first cruise with this policy it was hit-or-miss at the bars I redeemed vouchers.

If I had to guess, the next step will be to show the cost of the drink on the receipt, add 18%, then deduct the cost of the drink on the receipt so that it might look like:

1. Strawberry Blonde : $14

2. Gratuity: $2.52

3. Subtotal: $16.52

4. Voucher Credit: -$14

5. TOTAL: $2.52

You would normally pay the full gratuity on a bill at a restaurant before any comps are applied, as the comps aren't the fault/concern of the server.

Edited by robmtx

32 minutes ago, robmtx said:

You would normally pay the full gratuity on a bill at a restaurant before any comps are applied, as the comps aren't the fault/concern of the server.

One big difference, most restaurants don't automatically add an arbitrary 18% tip or whatever. If I eat somewhere with a BOGO coupon, of course I tip on the cost of both items, but I choose the tip amount, not the restaurant.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Late last year they started providing a $0 receipt for Diamond Vouchers. This allows us to write in a tip. This got off to a rather inconsistent start though.. Even on my first cruise with this policy it was hit-or-miss at the bars I redeemed vouchers.

We tried adding tips to the vouchers when we were on the Navigator and they were not deducted from our OBC, so we went back to paying in cash.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:21 PM, jcc1025 said:

. For the bartenders I use often I may put in a dollar cash for a drink and at the end of the cruise add another five or so. Like on land tipping in cash goes stright to the servers, bar backs, etc.. The tip on the card is added to their salary and is reduced by taxes and other elements and shared among all those on the ship.

What makes you think that tips added to the bill are shared by all those on board?

8 hours ago, Hutcha said:

What makes you think that tips added to the bill are shared by all those on board?

I have had several convesations with the bartends on the ships over the years and thay have all told me this is how it works. Since the bartenders rotate amoung the bars weekly, and some of the bars are better than others for tips its not fair to those in low volume bars. The barternders I have talked with are all ok with this and know it evens things out. Cash tips are held at the specific bar and shared amoung all those bartenders. Same way it works on land bases resturants. 

8 minutes ago, jcc1025 said:

I have had several convesations with the bartends on the ships over the years and thay have all told me this is how it works. Since the bartenders rotate amoung the bars weekly, and some of the bars are better than others for tips its not fair to those in low volume bars. The barternders I have talked with are all ok with this and know it evens things out. Cash tips are held at the specific bar and shared amoung all those bartenders. Same way it works on land bases resturants. 

We just got off a TA, and on the last night my wife gave a very nice tip to a particular bartender who took good care of her the entire cruise.  He thanked her and put the tip in the tip  box and not into his pocket.  I'm not sure, but I believe they pooled tips at that particular bar among the bartenders working up there.   

I'm done trying to figure out who, what, where, why, how, etc., they do with their tips.  I'm sure they've got it all figured out.  I just tip where I feel appropriate.  

• Like 3

On 5/24/2023 at 9:11 PM, BirdTravels said:

What we do…

Bartender: $1-$5 a service. 

Bar waiter $1-$2 a drink

MDR waiter $10 per day 

MDR assistant waiter $10 per day

Room Steward $5 per person in room per day. 

curious why such a huge range ?

Cheers

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 6:50 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Just doing the math...

$14 drink.  Add  the automatic 18% = $2.52.  Add $2 and you're at $4.52.  Thats a little over a 32% tip.

So yes, they're definitely getting 20%.

Not saying you shouldn't give however much you want.  Just pointing out the math.

yup, agree, we tip 20% for service.  If others don't, I just don't care.  I'm on vacay and I pay for good service.  

On 5/26/2023 at 7:11 PM, Wineaux007 said:

We just got off a TA, and on the last night my wife gave a very nice tip to a particular bartender who took good care of her the entire cruise.  He thanked her and put the tip in the tip  box and not into his pocket.  I'm not sure, but I believe they pooled tips at that particular bar among the bartenders working up there.   

I'm done trying to figure out who, what, where, why, how, etc., they do with their tips.  I'm sure they've got it all figured out.  I just tip where I feel appropriate.  

yup, they share with the barbacks that stock, bring ice to them and provide back up in busy times.  The bar backs can provide beers and some basic drinks, but not mix... so the tip jar is indeed shared. It flows down, but it all provides us with a great experience. 

On 5/26/2023 at 9:12 AM, robmtx said:

If I had to guess, the next step will be to show the cost of the drink on the receipt, add 18%, then deduct the cost of the drink on the receipt so that it might look like:

1. Strawberry Blonde : $14

2. Gratuity: $2.52

3. Subtotal: $16.52

4. Voucher Credit: -$14

5. TOTAL: $2.52

HOWEVER.... remember that the vouchers are in lieu of the Happy Hour Guzzle-fest that used to take place in the DL.  Those were "FREE DRINKS" and any tips were cash tips, purely at the discretion of the guest.