It's only a *dumb question* if we don't ask

Hi, everyone.

As the title says, this might sound like a dumb question, but I used to tell Ambulance staff I was training that the only dumb question is the one that you DON'T ask, so here goes.:rolleyes:

We drink a lot of hot spiced apple, especially if I wake up in the night. (Meds I'm on leave me with a constant dry mouth and throat). I can bring the envelops on with me, but my question is "can I get a carafe of hot water via room service, or will I be limited to one cup at a time"? Seems that would be kind of expecting a lot of the room service guys to just bring a single cup of hot water in the night. If I can only get a cup at a time, what I can do is take my insulated cup to get it before closing it down for the night, but the carafe would be easier.:)

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Marg

Yes you can get a carafe of hot water via room service any time of day or night. It can take 15-20 mins to get to you depending on how busy they are in the kitchen. I would not think it would be that long in the middle of the night. I ordered 1 daily twice a day in the morning and before dinner for my herbal tea.

In the very OLD DAYS, there was also the "Immersion Heater"--A coiled-metal device with plastic handle, that plugged into a socket. You put the metal-end directly into the liquid to heat it. That would take up less room in your luggage! You can probably get one at a sporting-goods/camping store. You do have to worry more about the kind of container you put it in than if you use the "hot-pot" (a ceramic mug or cup would be safer than plastic); so it really depends on how over-packed you already are!

BTW, is there any chance the Ship could provide you with a Vaporizer/Humidifier, although you'd think all that sea air would be moisture a-plenty.

Have a great cruise.

Not a "dumb question" at all!

You know, I like a cup of hot water with a slice of lemon in first thing in the morning, I guess I will sacrifice it on our cruise :rolleyes: !

I was wondering though, the water won't be boiling hot by the time it gets to your room, so it might not be quite the same. Any type of tea or infusion is not good unless it is made with fresh boiling temperature water. You can't beat a good kettle, there on the spot!!!

Well, I hope the room service hot water works for your spiced apple.

You didn't say what ship you are going to be on, but if it is a Voyager class ship, the Cafe Promenade has coffee and tea available about 23 hrs. a day - you can fill up your insulated mug with the hot water and you're good to go.

Thank you everyone. Guess I go shopping for more hot apple.... it comes 10 envelopes to a box, so I guess about 10 boxes will be about right.:) Luckily they come out and pack tighter.

Teajak, you reminded me of a gift I'd forgotten about, thank you. And that may be what we do. A lot of years ago a friend gave us a travel coffee maker that makes exactly 2 cups (at once). Don't know why I can't put the hot apple powder in instead of coffee. I'll try it this week.

Gratefulguy, I remember those immersian heaters from when I worked in hospitals. Hadn't thought of them for years, wonder how they'd work in the styro cups. Thanks for triggering some wonderful memories.

Ciderapple, I like the hot water with lemon when I've got a cold. It seems to clear my throat better than anything else.

I'll be on the Radiance of the Seas, Gerif. Do they have the Cafe Promenade? That would be easier than bothering room service.

Lots of alternatives and still room service available. Thanks again.

Marg:)

You may want to double check the idea of bringing an electric pot to boil your water.....I'm not sure that RCI will allow small electrical kitchen appliances?

I'd say use room service - safer for sure.

I'm not crazy about the idea of any kind of small appliance that plugs in to heat up water. I think that would be akin to having an iron in your cabin, and that's a big no-no for safety reasons.

I also can't imagine getting dressed and going up to the WJ lounge in the middle of the night.

Which leaves room service: if you ask for hot water in the wee hours, please tip well!!!

T

You may want to double check the idea of bringing an electric pot to boil your water.....I'm not sure that RCI will allow small electrical kitchen appliances?

We always bring an electric hot plate to warm up the leftovers from dinner that we have the waiter pack up for us in styrofoam containers....

Don't laugh, I used to bring a can of Sterno, but in the interest of fire safety I stopped doing that.....:eek:

I also can't imagine getting dressed and going up to the WJ lounge in the middle of the night.

It's OK, there's no dress code in the Windjammer so you can wear your pj's unless you meant...... never mind.......:eek:

Another suggestion is to order a caraf of hot water and keep the caraf in your room during the cruise...not too hard...just leave it in the closet or somewhere that the steward won't clean up. That way, you can fill it just before bed and have fairly hot water during the night. I have noticed that RCI has small and large carafs (I usually request a large one for coffee) but for hot water, the small one would probably work best.

Archived