Punishment policy of back-to-back reservation cruises

gallivanter

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

That is a different issue. However, in the case of 2 separate 7 day cruises, its $100 per week for the stockholders credit. For one 14 day cruise, its $250 OBC. My public school math says that is a win for the 14 Collectors Cruise.

We have 2 separate 7- day cruises booked B2B for Alaska. When I applied for shareholder credit, I expected to get $100 for each. Much to my surprise I was told I would receive $125 for each, so $250 divided by 2. Won’t see the actual amount until we board, though….

12 hours ago, gallivanter said:

First let me be clear, what I am referring to is when you book multiple cruise itineraries with a single reservation.  For example, you book back-to-back 14-night cruises with a single reservation.  For the purpose of this, I’ll refer to the segments as “1st” which sails on the 1st of the month and “2nd” which would sail of the 14th of the month.

One is allowed to book tours and make specialty dining reservations nearly up to the time of sailing. I believe that it is based upon when the cruise data is uploaded to each ship.  Once it is uploaded then it comes under the control of the ship.  Which is about 48 hours prior to the sailing.

So, if you are on only booked on the 2nd sailing you are able to make tour and specialty dining reservations until 48 hours prior to the sailing.  However, if you are booked on both the 1st and 2nd sailing under a back-to-back combined invoiced cruise, you may only book the tours and specialty dining reservations for the 2nd sailing until 48 hours prior to the 1st sailing.   You are essentially locked out of arranging tours and specialty dining reservations for the 2nd and any subsequent segment(s) of your cruise until approximately 48 hours prior the start of each subsequent segment. 

I wonder if HAL’s management is aware of this limitation.  It’s almost as if one is being punished for booking back-to-back cruises. 

To be clear we make a number of reservations prior to boarding the ship, circumstances change and we would like to be afforded the same abilities to book reservations throughout our cruise once we board the ship as other have who have yet to board.  After all someone who only books a single cruise has the flexibility to grab reservations while we are locked out.

Putting the two cruises on one reservation also costs you some potentail OBC particularly if you have Carnival stock.

50 minutes ago, PSR said:

We have 2 separate 7- day cruises booked B2B for Alaska. When I applied for shareholder credit, I expected to get $100 for each. Much to my surprise I was told I would receive $125 for each, so $250 divided by 2. Won’t see the actual amount until we board, though….

Yup, I had 3 such cruises booked this way over a year and a half.  I had to do a little training of them but I eventually got $250 for each set of cruises.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

The only thing we were told was that we would be able to get to the kiosk before others boarded on turnaround day.  

I’ve had great luck a couple days before the end of the first cruise getting the reservation desk to book me into the next cruise for specialty dining.  That said I usually know a lot of these people because I eat mostly at specialty. 

1 hour ago, ldog said:

Passengers who hadn’t yet boarded could book on the website we couldn’t book even though we were there. 

That is really disturbing then, and makes me re-consider our plans to add on the second leg of the SA cruise we are booked for this fall. Right now, we have the 17 day Fort Lauderdale to Santiago, and were seriously considering adding on the Santiago to Buenos Aires portion.

21 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

That is really disturbing then, and makes me re-consider our plans to add on the second leg of the SA cruise we are booked for this fall. Right now, we have the 17 day Fort Lauderdale to Santiago, and were seriously considering adding on the Santiago to Buenos Aires portion.

I wouldn’t say it is a dealbreaker. Just an annoyance and something to be prepared for. I would just book the important dates before boarding next time. We could mostly book what we needed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ldog said:

Passengers who hadn’t yet boarded could book on the website we couldn’t book even though we were there. 

They can't book specialty restaurants or anything else using OBC.  Anything else could be booked months in advance and shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

6 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

So would it really be fair if you could book dining for the second two legs before the rest of the passengers on those legs got on board?  It seems like the way HAL handled it was fair to everyone.

But that turns out to be a total crock and here is why!  A back to back passenger can simply go to the concierge, the PG, etc. on the morning of the turn around day (before any of the new passengers have a chance to board) and make all the reservations they please.  How do I know this?  Because it is exactly what we did on our recent back to back to back Westy cruise.  

Hank 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

But that turns out to be a total crock and here is why!  A back to back passenger can simply go to the concierge, the PG, etc. on the morning of the turn around day (before any of the new passengers have a chance to board) and make all the reservations they please.  How do I know this?  Because it is exactly what we did on our recent back to back to back Westy cruise.  

Hank 

Yep, I've made reservations for the remaining cruises on B2B cruises but it really didn't seem fair to me or fair to the other cruisers on your cruise.

16 hours ago, RuthC said:

There is a nuanced difference between the two.
A 'Collectors' Cruise' is merely two separate cruises that have been sold as one, generally with a smaller price. The promise on Collectors' Cruises is that the intact menu won't be repeated, although individual items may be, and entertainment in the main theatre won't be repeated. 
A Grand Voyage is one cruise, generally of even longer length. It maybe sold in two segments. There are pillow gifts, special events, and frequently has more upscale dinners. When I have been on them the entertainers and activities have been of a much higher caliber. 

Thank you for that clarification.

14 hours ago, dawnvip said:

Don't let something as minor as not having early booking of MDR reservations stop you from doing the Santiago>BA leg.  That's the best part of the South America cruise, IMHO.

• Like 2