Punishment policy of back-to-back reservation cruises

gallivanter

First let me be clear, what I am referring to is when you book multiple cruise itineraries with a single reservation.  For example, you book back-to-back 14-night cruises with a single reservation.  For the purpose of this, I’ll refer to the segments as “1st” which sails on the 1st of the month and “2nd” which would sail of the 14th of the month.

One is allowed to book tours and make specialty dining reservations nearly up to the time of sailing. I believe that it is based upon when the cruise data is uploaded to each ship.  Once it is uploaded then it comes under the control of the ship.  Which is about 48 hours prior to the sailing.

So, if you are on only booked on the 2nd sailing you are able to make tour and specialty dining reservations until 48 hours prior to the sailing.  However, if you are booked on both the 1st and 2nd sailing under a back-to-back combined invoiced cruise, you may only book the tours and specialty dining reservations for the 2nd sailing until 48 hours prior to the 1st sailing.   You are essentially locked out of arranging tours and specialty dining reservations for the 2nd and any subsequent segment(s) of your cruise until approximately 48 hours prior the start of each subsequent segment. 

I wonder if HAL’s management is aware of this limitation.  It’s almost as if one is being punished for booking back-to-back cruises. 

To be clear we make a number of reservations prior to boarding the ship, circumstances change and we would like to be afforded the same abilities to book reservations throughout our cruise once we board the ship as other have who have yet to board.  After all someone who only books a single cruise has the flexibility to grab reservations while we are locked out.

As you are booking it as a single cruise...one booking number...the rules treat it as a single cruise, and you can book up to 48 or so hours prior to the start of the "single" cruise. Simple as that. That is actually consistent, not punishment. If you book the multiple cruises under multiple booking numbers, you would be allowed to book stuff in the individual segments up to 48 hours prior to each segment.

That sounds consistent to me.

• Like 4

One booking # = one cruise, like Bruce said. It's often called a collector's voyage. If you book the two segments separately, you have two bookings numbers & two cruises. Its almost always less expensive to book as a collector's cruise, often by more than a few nickels.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, POA1 said:

One booking # = one cruise, like Bruce said. It's often called a collector's voyage. If you book the two segments separately, you have two bookings numbers & two cruises. Its almost always less expensive to book as a collector's cruise, often by more than a few nickels.

However, with one booking # you only get one set of shareholder OBC for the 1 long cruise, rather than two sets for two booking #s.  I agree the "collector's cruise" is often less in cost, but there's a downside regarding shareholder OBC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I experienced this issue last November on the NA. We booked a 14 day itinerary but it was also sold as two separate 7 day itineraries.  Once on the ship we couldn't make reservations on the second half of the 14 day itinerary.  The concierge could but not us directly through the app.

Our solution was: further bookings/reservations via account on www.hollandamerica.com . Somewehere near the 2nd week of the 3 B2B's the last 2 weeks were connected.  Maybe the IT people on board who were quite busy with the system, applied some changes/improvements???

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

However, with one booking # you only get one set of shareholder OBC for the 1 long cruise, rather than two sets for two booking #s.  I agree the "collector's cruise" is often less in cost, but there's a downside regarding shareholder OBC.

We got 3 x $100 for twice 7days and once 8 days. instead of  $100 + $ 250 as a grandchild joined us the week in the middle..... (And I never missed those US$ 50 to be honest 🤫). 

23 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

That is a different issue. However, in the case of 2 separate 7 day cruises, its $100 per week for the stockholders credit. For one 14 day cruise, its $250 OBC. My public school math says that is a win for the 14 Collectors Cruise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

My public school math says

Off topic, but US 'public school' or UK 'Public School'?  Big differences with same words!  I am not prying and I don't even want to know, more pointing out to all the differences in national understandings of the same words.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Off topic, but US 'public school' or UK 'Public School'?  Big differences with same words!  I am not prying and I don't even want to know, more pointing out to all the differences in national understandings of the same words.

US. It's a running joke in the US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I experienced this issue last November on the NA. We booked a 14 day itinerary but it was also sold as two separate 7 day itineraries.  Once on the ship we couldn't make reservations on the second half of the 14 day itinerary.  The concierge could but not us directly through the app.

This answers the OP's comment exactly - you're on board and can access HAL concierge/reservation desk directly. Seems the real gripe is that the app doesn't let you make reservations once the cruise has started, no matter how long you are on board?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

27 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

This answers the OP's comment exactly - you're on board and can access HAL concierge/reservation desk directly. Seems the real gripe is that the app doesn't let you make reservations once the cruise has started, no matter how long you are on board?

Exactly.  A pet peeve of mine.  I tried making a dining reservation for the second half when we were onboard.  I went to one of the reservation kiosks and was told it was impossible at that time.  She was very apologetic about it but said it was impossible, the system wouldn't allow it.  

We had the same thing on Rotterdam's TA + prior Caribbean cruise.  We did butter up the Tamarind manager and he kept a table for us on the second cruise which we requested on the first cruise.  We had to wait until we were in the second cruise to make tour changes, though.  It is a strange complication.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that when you book beforehand it is charged to a credit card, and if it is booked during the cruise it will be charged to your OBC....

2 hours ago, dawnvip said:

Nope....It happened to us on the Westerdam in February.  Once onboard we couldn't book any dinners after the first 14 days and we were on three b2backs.  It was ridiculous.  The IT dept and the Nav app are substandard.   We couldn't even book at the Pinnacle or Canneletto desk until the start of each segment.  Makes us seriously consider so-called Collectors cruises.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ldog said:

Makes us seriously consider so-called Collectors cruises.

If you were on a Collectors’ cruise you would have had not issue.  You were on a B2B - those are 2 separate cruises and that is the problem.  

• Like 1

My problem with the Collector's cruise is a very limited selection of cabins even though many other cabins are available for the individual voyages.  For example, we tried to book a Spa Verandah cabin for a Collectors cruise on the Rotterdam for February 2025.  The only cabins that were available for the Collector's cruise were connecting cabins or a couple by the elevator.  I'd rather not have those cabins and HAL wouldn't allow me to book any other cabins so I had to book the individual cruises at a higher price for a better selection of cabins.  However, I have booked a Collector's cruise onboard and the Future Cruise person was able to convince them to book a different cabin.  So the policy seems inconsistent.  The other issue I had with the Collector's cruise having dedicated cabins is that it is impossible to book an additional cruise with the Collector's cruise and stay in the same cabin.  There are different pools of rooms for the Collector's cruises and individual cruises.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

If you were on a Collectors’ cruise you would have had not issue.  You were on a B2B - those are 2 separate cruises and that is the problem.  

Nope.  It was booked as a 28 day and a 14 day and we couldn’t book the second half of the 28 day after we were onboard. 

1 minute ago, ldog said:

Nope.  It was booked as a 28 day and a 14 day and we couldn’t book the second half of the 28 day after we were onboard. 

Got ir - sorry I thought you were talking about the B2B so the collector’s segment was the problem.  Strange.  I didn’t have an issue last time I did a Collectors - B2B2B - yes, but not on the Collectors.  Mind you that was back in 2019 and on the P’dam which is a whole different kettle of fish.  

I guess I’ll find out next year when I do my Collectors.  Hopefully I don’t have to line up at the specialty reservations desk on turn around day 🤞 

1 hour ago, ldog said:

Nope....It happened to us on the Westerdam in February.  Once onboard we couldn't book any dinners after the first 14 days and we were on three b2backs.  It was ridiculous.  The IT dept and the Nav app are substandard.   We couldn't even book at the Pinnacle or Canneletto desk until the start of each segment.  Makes us seriously consider so-called Collectors cruises.

So would it really be fair if you could book dining for the second two legs before the rest of the passengers on those legs got on board?  It seems like the way HAL handled it was fair to everyone.

21 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Just a note, the longer cruises aren't always called "Collectors" cruises.  Sometimes they're called "Grand Voyages".

There is a nuanced difference between the two.
A 'Collectors' Cruise' is merely two separate cruises that have been sold as one, generally with a smaller price. The promise on Collectors' Cruises is that the intact menu won't be repeated, although individual items may be, and entertainment in the main theatre won't be repeated. 
A Grand Voyage is one cruise, generally of even longer length. It maybe sold in two segments. There are pillow gifts, special events, and frequently has more upscale dinners. When I have been on them the entertainers and activities have been of a much higher caliber. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

So would it really be fair if you could book dining for the second two legs before the rest of the passengers on those legs got on board?  It seems like the way HAL handled it was fair to everyone.

Passengers who hadn’t yet boarded could book on the website we couldn’t book even though we were there. 

• Like 1