Cruising out of Barcelona- airport/transfer/immigration questions.

scendro

We are cruising out of Barcelona June 22, 2023 on NCL Epic.  NCL made our air reservations and we just received our flight times.  We are flying in from NYC and arrive at BCN day of cruise at 12:05 p.m.

Do US citizens have to go through immigration process upon arrival when departing on a cruise?   If yes, can you share your experience on how this works and the length of the process?

Also, anyone familiar with NCL shuttle service in Barcelona?  Can you give me some information on how to navigate BCN airport as an international and finding this location?

How far is BCN from the cruise terminal?

All aboard time is 4:00 pm and we arrive into BCN at 12:05 pm.  Anyone with similar flight times have experience with making the ship on time (getting luggage, going through immigration, finding shuttle?)

Any international travel experience into BCN and taking a cruise would be most appreciated! 

We flew to Barcelona April 19, spent the night and boarded our ship (Oceania) the next day.  Our experience was a little different from yours.  However, I'm pretty sure you'd have to go through immigration in the Barcelona airport before being allowed out to get a taxi. I forget how long it took us, but I don't remember it being unusually long compared to other major European cities I've flown into.  But of course it may depend upon how many flights land at the same time and things like that.  I don't suppose you're in need of a wheelchair, but if so, a wheelchair & pusher can be requested (before flying) and that helps speed things up a little at times. 

I'm hesitant to say much about a shuttle service for NCL, but if you're paying NCL for what Oceania calls a transfer, I would assume it's just like Oceania.  You would look for someone with an NCL sign, or possibly your name, once you get your luggage. They'll be looking for you, too.  Put on any luggage tags NCL gives you. The timing sounds a little tight, but if you have NCL transfers, you should be OK.  And the airport isn't all that far from the cruise terminal, which helps.  I'm thinking it has taken us about a half hour from port to a hotel or the port in Barcelona.. 

For check in at the port (with contractors hired by cruise line), in Barcelona it was pretty fast and simple.  We have gone into and out of Barcelona several times now and they seem to really have their stuff in good order.  And Oceania has people select a tentative check in time to try to prevent bottlenecks or lines. But I don't know if NCL does that.  But I'm guessing that arriving mid-afternoon, you won't have any problems in that regard. Just keep your boarding pass for NCL (or whatever they give you) handy, as well as passport & credit card. 

Just for general info, there is pretty good taxi service to and from the port.  We just take a taxi from or to the airport, hotel or port.  They're reasonably priced and reasonably fast.   But I would think that if you pay NCL for a transfer from the airport to the ship, the ship would not leave without you, so that's one reason you MAY want to purchase (in advance) a transfer. No guarantees, though!

NCL should give you an ER number for use with travel problems - have that handy!

There is a port shuttle from the Columbus statue to all of the port terminals.  But given your time schedule, I wouldn't use it.  It's nice for people who board early and can go back out for a little while.  And I imagine it gets used quite a bit on days when a cruise ship visits. 

Enjoy your cruise!  Questions? Ask me.  Need specific info on what NCL does?  You may want to ask in the section here on Cruise Critic for NCL cruisers. 

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Thanks 1

With over 50 years of international experience we always have a "Plan B," especially if flying-in the day of a cruise.  The good news is that if your flight is late, and you miss the cruise, you should be able to get to Marseille to play catch-up.  

I have no clue as to NCL's transfer arrangements, but if you cannot connect with your shuttle folks it is easy to grab a taxi from BCN to the port.

Hank

On 5/23/2023 at 3:12 PM, scendro said:

Do US citizens have to go through immigration process upon arrival when departing on a cruise?

Everyone has to go through the immigration process, regardless of reason why they are entering the country.  Although we visit Spain annually, it's some years since I've visted Barcelona (and, at that time, the UK was part of the EU so process was minimal). That said, the process for non-EU citizens has been pretty minimal on our last two trips to Spain - the National Police officer at the border actually looking at my passport and stamping it for entry, rather than  just waving me through.

Certainly the process has been much quicker/easier than on any of my various visits to America over the last 40+ years.

I would reckon that, if all goes well, you should be fine for your 16.00 departure. But it could be a fairly close call if you have flight delays, lots of people in the non-EU/Schengen queue at passport control, baggage delays, etc.

By the  by,my upcoming cruise is also from Barca. We had planned to arrive the day before, to avoid exactly these sort of issues. But, in fact, the flight time that day was also problematical - arriving late evening, so no scope for a reaarneged flight if the booke done was cancelled. So, we're now going two days early and we'll have a nice relaxed day in the city.

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

Immigration is at first Schengen entry. No one can answer this question without knowing flight itinerary. US passports use the All Passports (sometimes Other Passports) line. EU means European Union, not Estados Unidos. ETIAS is delayed so it's not applicable for your dates. For visa information, I strongly suggest you do your own research rather than relying on posters here. The last time I arrived in BCN it took 1.5 hours, but that was a year ago. T1 has a charter bus waiting area, I presume NCL will have a rep to direct you, if not, it's beside the Metro entrance. Schengen is an immigration treaty, you clear customs in Spain, most cruise ship passengers have nothing to declare and you use the Green channel.

You're fine as long as the flight is on time, if not it will become high-stress very quickly. Be sure you know exactly what NCL will do for you, for your Plan B. As far as I know, non-EU passports no longer have to be surrendered at checkin.

Edited by Dancer Bob