Starboard or port on Vancouver to Hawaii ?

sdnich

I am booked on the Solstice in Aqua 1546 for a September 2024 cruise. I’m curious if someone that has done that cruise if there is a side that is better?? Since we have 5 sea days I would like some sun and also sunsets would be great! I of course know where the sun sets since I live in San Diego but not sure with the actual route between Vancouver and Hawaii.

Thanks for any input 

37 minutes ago, sdnich said:

I am booked on the Solstice in Aqua 1546 for a September 2024 cruise. I’m curious if someone that has done that cruise if there is a side that is better?? Since we have 5 sea days I would like some sun and also sunsets would be great! I of course know where the sun sets since I live in San Diego but not sure with the actual route between Vancouver and Hawaii.

Thanks for any input 

I just ran a simulator on my app for Sep 25 2024 (3rd of 5 straight sea days) set for an ocean location in the middle between Vancouver and Hawaii.  The sun sets at a little after 6pm local time and almost exactly due west (you can see the faint "W" marker--indicating due west--just below the sun and Mercury in the screenshot below).  Since Solstice will be generally heading southwest during your string of sea days, your cabin will need to be on the starboard (right) side of the ship to see the sun set from your balcony (and maybe the elusive green flash).

The moon will be near its last quarter phase during that night which means it won't rise until around midnight (in full view of the port side of the ship).

image.thumb.jpeg.7b8acffad8a7bdbe6b63dfbc19496ae4.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I just ran a simulator on my app for Sep 25 2024 (shown) at a location in between Vancouver and Hawaii.  The sun sets at a little after 6pm local time and almost exactly due west (you can see the faint "W" marker--indicating due west--just below the sun and Mercury in the screenshot below).  Since Solstice will be generally heading southwest during your string of sea days, your cabin will need to be on the starboard (right) side of the ship to see the sun set from your balcony (and maybe the elusive green flash).

One of your days aboard Solstice will occur during the Equinox.

image.thumb.jpeg.7b8acffad8a7bdbe6b63dfbc19496ae4.jpeg

Thank you for your detailed answer I thought the starboard would have sunset views.1546 is on the starboard side so looking forward to some sunsets. It will be the most sea days in a row so views are  important .

• Like 1

Just now, sdnich said:

Thank you for your detailed answer I thought the starboard would have sunset views.1546 is on the starboard side so looking forward to some sunsets. It will be the most sea days in a row so views are  important .

You are welcome.  You are now obligated to post a sunset photo during your cruise on Cruise Critic.

BTW, you replied before I edited my post and so I wanted to point out an error: I was wrong about the Equinox.  You will be sailing just after the Equinox (the autumnal one, not the ship).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sdnich said:

I will post some pictures! But you will have to wait almost a year and a half!! 

The sun will be there and (hopefully) so will you. 

Another thing that I forgot to mention: during every Equinox (Spring or Fall), the sun always rises exactly due east and always sets exactly due west in every part of the world (with the special exception of the North and South Poles where the directions east and west don't exist).   Night time and day time are also equal on the Equinox days (hence the derivation for the term Equinox).

Your sailing starts hours after the Fall Equinox, so the sun pretty much sets due west during your entire cruise.  So I really didn't need an app to answer your sun set question.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1