Skipping Iceland Ports

Wblotner

I just read that many times the ships can’t dock in Iceland due to the direction of the wind. I have a trip planned but would be so disappointed if we miss the ports. How often has this happened and what time of the year? TIA

It is not uncommon later in the season for winds to be strong, like in September.  There have been strong winds in western Iceland the past few days that may have caused issues with docking or tendering.

I don't think there is any website that tracks this kind of thing, it can happen anywhere you are cruising.  We've missed ports from Italy to Antarctica due to winds.

Iceland has a term “if the weather permits.”  We’re here now and had to find lodging on the fly when our ferry in the north got canceled due to the winds mentioned above. They topped 50mph in the area we had been heading. 

At least as a land trip we had other options on what to see. 

Always take travel to Iceland with a grain of “we’ll see what happens” but hopefully you’ll have clear sailing. 

I have cruised around Iceland six times in July and August.  Yes, it can be windy in Iceland but very seldom are the cruise ships unable to get into the ports.  Last August was the only time I have seen a cancelled port when Grundarfjordur was too rough to safely maneuver the tenders.  There may be times when the smaller ferries are cancelled due to high seas but cruise ships are usually able to get to the Iceland ports.  If you want to see Iceland, don't let the recent Princess cruise cancellations scare you - it was a bad storm that can happen anywhere in the world. The same system is supposed to hit the coast of Europe and may cause port cancellations there as well.  

Even land travelers had issues this recent weather event. We met folks who had tours canceled or who were unable to drive to their next destination due to the winds.  There was a camper van blown off the road and many vehicles with shattered windows due to flying rocks. Even the locals were surprised as this is usually a winter weather type of event. 

We were on Sky Princess and missed our stops in Grundarfjordur, Reykjavik and Akureyri over the past week.  A local in Isafjordur told us this was very unusual weather for this time of year.  We have rebooked for next year hoping to actually get to these ports.  Weather all over lately has been very unpredictable.

14 hours ago, Senga said:

We were on Sky Princess and missed our stops in Grundarfjordur, Reykjavik and Akureyri over the past week.  A local in Isafjordur told us this was very unusual weather for this time of year.  We have rebooked for next year hoping to actually get to these ports.  Weather all over lately has been very unpredictable.

You might want to consider a land vacation as well, to get to know the country better.  Driving in Iceland is easy, unless the winds are like what my friend @ljandgb experienced

Edited by Nitemare