NCL makes flight booking errors, balks at a fix

steve49589

while i certainly sympathize  with  your problem, ( i have posted numerous times) avoid booking air through ncl like the plague,

dont let this unfortunate incident turn you of to cruising with ncl in the future.

i have sailed with them at least 25x's in the past 1 years, and any problems thatarose were merely minor inconveniences! In the past i have jokingly complained that the only major problem i have ever had with ncl, is that their hamburger buns fall apart before im finished with the burger. big problem, no?

i find that by and large, ncl offers the best bang for your buck, as far as price, cabin selection and itinerary, so please dont let this one lousy experience give you a bad taste for ncl.

BTW, the opinions expressed herein, are strictly my own, and i am in no way affiliated with the ncl corp.

so please dont think i;m an ncl cheerleader

• Haha 1

I had an issue the first (and only) time I booked NCL air:

We had to make a name change on the ticket, since my wife was missing her middle name. NCL's air department charged us $150 to make the name change—and then changed my ticket to be in her name for the return trip, so she had two tickets and I had none.

The airline couldn't help me, so I had to book a ticket home at my own expense.

Getting NCL to reimburse me took weeks of effort, emails, and calls. They tried to get me to make a travel insurance claim (even though insurance doesn't cover this type of issue), then insisted that I had a ticket for the return leg even though I didn't, and that the airline must have screwed up. 

I eventually had to call the airline and get proof via ticket numbers that my wife had two tickets in her name, and NCL finally agreed to reimburse me—and they did, to their credit.

But holy moly, I won't do that again.

Bottom line with NCL's air department: they can get you a very enticing rate, often cheaper than what you can book yourself. If all goes well, it's a great deal. If something gets messed up, it's like pulling teeth.

If you speak with them on the phone about anything out of the ordinary—deviations, name changes, etc.—get everything in writing, and confirm your reservations independently with the agent making the change.

• Thanks 1