Questions about fixed dining times

On 5/26/2023 at 11:44 AM, oggy6 said:

If we do MDR at 7:45, would we be able to make it to a 9:15 Seasons Ice show?

If we had a particular show time we wanted to attend, we simply let the waitstaff know so they could meet our time constraint. This generally meant that they shaved a few minutes off of every step (returned to take our order sooner, brought the main course as some were still finishing up their apps, etc), but we always made it.

That being said, Lobster Night tends to be the most crowded in the MDR, so it's also the slowest. Is there a 7 pm ice show you could attend instead?

26 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

We created our own fixed time during MTD on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. 5 pm was too early, and 8 pm was too late, so we did a standing MTD reservation for a party of 6 for 6:45 pm, and had the same table with the same waitstaff every single night.

I’ve done this exact thing our last three cruises with the same result.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

We created our own fixed time during MTD on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. 5 pm was too early, and 8 pm was too late, so we did a standing MTD reservation for a party of 6 for 6:45 pm, and had the same table with the same waitstaff every single night.

Doesn’t always work.

On 5/25/2023 at 2:33 PM, davekathy said:

Whether we have TD or MTD we always go to the MDR when we first board the ship and search out a table for two in a location we like. Then we request that table with whoever is taking dining requests at that time. Our requests have always been honored.  

We do the same. On Anthem a week ago we were allocated a table for Six in Silk in a poor position . In my opinion the four small dining rooms on Quantum class ships have a lot of poorly situated tables. I asked for a table for 2 near a window. We were allocated a nice table near a window but told that we could not have the same table the next day. The following table we got a poor table in Grande . We were on fixed early dining. The concierge in Diamond Lounge spoke to the Head Waiter in Silk and got us a nice window table in Silk for the rest of our cruise. 

I take between 1-3 cruises a year, and I’ve been paying for them on my own for the last 20 year (after marriage dad refused, boo!) In all my cruises I’ve taken, and it’s been a lot, I have never cared what dining time was selected for me when my cruise was booked. I’ve always changed something once on board. I used to dine early when it was near 6 when traveling with my pre-marriage family, then I moved to 7:30 late seating after marriage and pre-kids.When my kids were younger we moved back to early until early became late tea time! 

I really like MTD because we could pre-schedule 7 pm dining now that the kids are older. Recently, the 7 pm times are booked by the time I pay attention to the cruise planner. So, for the last 6 cruises I just walked into the dining room, gave them my card, ask if early is still late tea time, and if so politely ask them to schedule me a 7pm time at a table for 4 for the whole cruise minus whatever I pre-booked for specialty. I then hand him a tip and tell him thanks and see him later. Ok, sometimes I do a walk about and tell him what table number I  want. That really depends who I know on board and where the table is. I don’t want a newbie and I don’t like to sit 6 inches from another table.