Getting rid of signatures.

Finally I had an epithany, or rather was fed up with the endless barage of other users signatures. There must be some feature I could enable or turn off to get rid of all that junk, or "CRAP" in everyones signature.

Other forums have this and its a god send from all the flashy stuff, huge pictures and every growing list of countdowns for every cruise available worldwide.

My broswer is not a bullettin board for your advertisements, what ever they may be. Are you paying me to read your stuff? I don't think so.

If you post than 4 times on a page guess what, all that crap has to be loaded 4 times too.

For those that want to get rid of this stuff,

Go into your User Cp

On the left Click on Edit Options

On the Right scroll toward the middle of the page.

In the Thread area, Uncheck Show Signatures.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and Save Changes

Your surfing will be faster and reduce the eye strain from all that flashy candy. AND you get to read the important stuff not the signatures.

We need a new motto, "Friends don't let friends put crap in thier signature."

Just my 2cents, from an IT geek and a Master's degree in Information Assurance and Management

Uh, since you are a self-proclaimed "IT geek" then maybe you should have figured this out a long time ago. :rolleyes: Most of the internet message boards I have frequented over the years have a feature to turn off signatures and generally it is pretty easy to figure out how to do. :p

Here's my question. You post FIVE times on a message board that is full of signatures...don't you think you should start off with a less critical post?

The countdowns are a way to bond with the other posters. And to see what their experience on other ships have been so you can ask them questions about certain ships.

Welcome to CC.

I may have a little heavy handed in my remarks.

But not all forums offer the feature to turn off Signatures.

I visit about 20 various forums each week and can't remember every setting for ever forum I visit.

All to often everyone touts the benefits of new features and snazzy looks, but hardly anyone gives all of the needed "other side of the story"

In software this is called software creep.

Everyone keeps asking for new features, and new looks and snazzy eye candy. But at some point it gets out and hand and things stop working the way it was intended, creating a sour webexperience.

Keep posting we love the stories and info, but please consider your fellow readers void signature creep.

While the OP did seem harsh, don't forget that any emotion you read into his statement may not be there in reality. Someone posting how to turn off signatures for people who don't know how is not a bad thing, and he is entitled to his dislike of signatures. And the fact that he is a lurker not a poster is no reason to dismiss his opinion:mad:

Also in his defense the board moderators have started a thread asking people to tone down their signatures, I have seen more than one that were Wayyy to long, one even had a clipart that took up 1/4 of my screen:eek:

I myself have no problem for normal signatures, but some have complete life stories in them which gets kind of silly:D

I don't really see the need for signatures but to each his own. One thing that DOES bother me though is extremely long signatures and/or outdated signatures. The host even has a sticky up there asking people to keep them short and to clean them up but there are still many that have not done so.

M&M - I never dismiss a "lurker" when they give great advice. And he did give a handy tip on how to get rid of the siggies. I don't think I read his post wrong. When you say things like "My browser is not a bullettin board for your advertisements, what ever they may be. Are you paying me to read your stuff? I don't think so."...you don't need a smilie to get the tone from what he was saying.

M&M - I never dismiss a "lurker" when they give great advice. And he did give a handy tip on how to get rid of the siggies. I don't think I read his post wrong. When you say things like "My browser is not a bullettin board for your advertisements, what ever they may be. Are you paying me to read your stuff? I don't think so."...you don't need a smilie to get the tone from what he was saying.

I have noticed in many instances that many people take things way to personally. Maybe I am at the other end of the spectrum, but I took his comments as being a smarta$$ not as any sort of personal attack, but maybe I am thick skinned. My point was that unless a specific insult at a specific person is issued I try to assume no malice was intended. I may not always be right, but i get upset alot less:o On the other side I do try to read what I typed as replies to seee if they look angry, and change them if they do, but I will never know how everyone will read what I write... for all I know someone is getting mad at me for my replies:eek:

I turned off the signatures back when I first joined the board. Makes the posts much easier and faster to read.

Give me the facts, Maam, just the facts.

I don't mind signatures, but I am a big believer in the faster I can load threads and messages, the better. So, how exactly do you turn signatures off? :o

I follow a specific protocol: When I post on a thread for the first time, I show my entire "signature." Whenever I post again ON THAT SAME THREAD, I suppress my signature. The only exception is when my reply involves suggesting that another poster read my other threads which are linked in my signature.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

I think the OP gave some great advice - and I didn't sense any malice or nasty tone to his post.

Also, another thing to remember, not all of us are on roadrunner or DSL - some still have *gasp* dialup!!!!!! Makes the loading of long signatures and especially those loaded with special gifs, etc. that much longer. Just a thought.....

I am absolutely useless at this computer tech stuff, sometimes I wonder how I can turn it on :D. There was a while back when the boards were "coughing" and a poster had a suggestion on how to turn off sigs and avatars etc. I did that and the improvement was extremely good. I do miss seeing the sigs, avatars etc. I may turn them back on-I think the board has been OK for a while?

....The countdowns are a way to bond with the other posters. And to see what their experience on other ships have been so you can ask them questions about certain ships......
you can still easily view the signatures and countdowns on selected posters, if desired, by clicking on their user name and then selecting "view public profile"

Archived