Carry On Own Luggage - Southampton Terminal

Jeter02

7 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

You and me both! You're very welcome!

I like option to self porter when boarding if I choose to do so. As soon as the cabins are available I can be unpacked in about 30 minutes and enjoy the first day of the cruise instead of waiting or worrying about the luggage or when it will be delivered.

On a particularly long cruise, I'll self porter one bag of essentials and check the bag with the extras.  I may not get into the second bag for a few days when I want access to my full clothing menu.

On the other end of the cruise, I place my bags in the corridor the last evening and try to be amongst the last off the ship.  My bags are waiting in the terminal, the crowds have dissipated, and I can Uber to a hotel for the night and catch a morning flight the next day.

Low key, low stress travel that comes with experience.

Enjoy your cruise, Jeter.

• Like 1

Just now, SargassoPirate said:

I like option to self porter when boarding if I choose to do so. As soon as the cabins are available I can be unpacked in about 30 minutes and enjoy the first day of the cruise instead of waiting or worrying about the luggage or when it will be delivered.

On a particularly long cruise, I'll self porter one bag of essentials and check the bag with the extras.  I may not get into the second bag for a few days when I want access to my full clothing menu.

On the other end of the cruise, I place my bags in the corridor the last evening and try to be amongst the last off the ship.  My bags are waiting in the terminal, the crowds have dissipated, and I can Uber to a hotel for the night and catch a morning flight the next day.

Low key, low stress travel that comes with experience.

Enjoy your cruise, Jeter.

That's exactly what I do. But I will admit I stop heading my luggage in as well at the end of the cruise and I will porter off, one less hassle of having to search for luggage. And my college years I used to work portside in Fort Lauderdale and I was the blessed one of being in charge of lost luggage. The key is to always make sure that your luggage looks different from others whether you tie ribbon or something on it as somebody's bags look so similar.

We always do carryon plus 1 personal item each only. This was our luggage boarding in Southampton in 2021. I don't know which terminal. The pink paisley one is a rolling duffle that measures 21x13x10. The darker pink one is 20x13x9.  We had no problems carrying it all on ourselves.

Screenshot_20230529_094059_Facebook.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, 1965 said:

We always do carryon plus 1 personal item each only. This was our luggage boarding in Southampton in 2021. I don't know which terminal. The pink paisley one is a rolling duffle that measures 21x13x10. The darker pink one is 20x13x9.  We had no problems carrying it all on ourselves.

Screenshot_20230529_094059_Facebook.jpg

Thank you 

So I posted in two other forum boards this question in the UK cruising as well as the British isles Western Europe ports with hopes that someone will respond. The one I look when people have left have been active on those ports unfortunately have not been in some time.

This is when I say I love the Princess Cruise critics board because it's so active and everyone so friendly and quick to help which also helps with the excitement of things as well as getting answered to questions or concerns.

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Well I definitely can report back to you on the 17th of June when I attempt.

And if you would be kind enough to let us know the dimensions of your bag that is accepted/rejected, that would be great. 
thank you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bgwest said:

And if you would be kind enough to let us know the dimensions of your bag that is accepted/rejected, that would be great. 
thank you!

The dimensions of the bag that I'll be using and have never had a problem with and all my traveling years...

Dimensions: 21''H x 14''X x 8.5''D

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

The dimensions of the bag that I'll be using and have never had a problem with and all my traveling years...

I just can’t imagine that being an issue. 
Airline carryon size. 

• Like 1

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

I just can’t imagine that being an issue. 
Airline carryon size. 

See, that was my thought too! Thank you! I mean if anything then I feel like the Mayflower terminal needs to upgrade to a bigger scanner. Just think of how helpful I'm being by giving less luggage for the porters to have to deal with as well as those crew members moving all of that luggage around the ship. I'm what they call as a team player 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

See, that was my thought too! Thank you! I mean if anything then I feel like the Mayflower terminal needs to upgrade to a bigger scanner. Just think of how helpful I'm being by giving less luggage for the porters to have to deal with as well as those crew members moving all of that luggage around the ship. I'm what they call as a team player 😉

Are they possibly being more restrictive, in order to cut down on the flow through

security, because of the fuller ships?

The fewer bags to scan, the faster the security lines go.  JMO

Good luck!

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Are they possibly being more restrictive, in order to cut down on the flow through

security, because of the fuller ships?

The fewer bags to scan, the faster the security lines go.  JMO

Good luck!

No has nothing to do with flow of security. I've actually heard about the scanner issue with the Mayflower terminal for a few years, even pre pandemic. Their machines just Don't offer a large opening to put in bags over certain size. Like I said that was the issue in Copenhagen where they're scanners are really only big enough for like a backpack or a purse.

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

No has nothing to do with flow of security. I've actually heard about the scanner issue with the Mayflower terminal for a few years, even pre pandemic. Their machines just Don't offer a large opening to put in bags over certain size. Like I said that was the issue in Copenhagen where they're scanners are really only big enough for like a backpack or a purse.

Makes sense.  I know what scanner you are referring to, as I’ve only seen it once at an airport.  Can’t remember which city it was.  But, only a tiny carryon would fit, like the low cost airline dimensions.  The 9x14x21 carryon would not fit.  Crazy.

Would be great if someone recently through the Mayflower could respond.

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Makes sense.  I know what scanner you are referring to, as I’ve only seen it once at an airport.  Can’t remember which city it was.  But, only a tiny carryon would fit, like the low cost airline dimensions.  The 9x14x21 carryon would not fit.  Crazy.

Would be great if someone recently through the Mayflower could respond.

Yes, those budget airlines especially throughout Europe, have some very special sizing when it comes to carry-on sizes. Luckily my back is always seem to work or I make it work. Haha Thank God for those tracking tags now. 

Edited by Jeter02

17 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Yes, those budget airlines especially throughout Europe, have some very special sizing when it comes to carry-on sizes. Luckily my back is always seem to work or I make it work. Haha Thank God for those tracking tags now. 

Yes, agree.  I researched a little and cannot find an actual bag dimension limit for the scanner at the UK ports.  

All I can find is that you can take a small bag or carryon that you are able to handle yourself through security.  

I still can’t imagine them restricting a normal carryon size.

Please update us.  Now that you’ve raised our curiosity.😳

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, agree.  I researched a little and cannot find an actual bag dimension limit for the scanner at the UK ports.  

All I can find is that you can take a small bag or carryon that you are able to handle yourself through security.  

I still can’t imagine them restricting a normal carryon size.

Please update us.  Now that you’ve raised our curiosity.😳

Will do! Thanks for being part of my research team.

4 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

That's exactly what I do. But I will admit I stop heading my luggage in as well at the end of the cruise and I will porter off, one less hassle of having to search for luggage. And my college years I used to work portside in Fort Lauderdale and I was the blessed one of being in charge of lost luggage. The key is to always make sure that your luggage looks different from others whether you tie ribbon or something on it as somebody's bags look so similar.

We've used some bright lime green handle wraps that secure with Velcro.  Makes that black bag easy to spot.  

Also we quit using soft side luggage since the airline personnel seem to be predisposed to place bags zipper-side down on the conveyor belts.  Makes no difference with the hard sides.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I carried-on a rolling suitcase with those dimensions and it security at Mayflower Terminal let it through.  Not much clearance around baggage opening the passenger security x-ray, though.  I think the port handlers have a good enough eye to know if a suitcase will fit or not.

At Mayflower Terminal, check-in is before the security check.  There is a split line for P/E/S, at check-in.  (Lines hadn't stretched out to the curb when I got there for my cruise.)  There are 3 openings for the security check point, which each lead to 2 x-rays/metal detectors.  No dedicated line for P/E/S for security though.  If you care about the P/E/S Lounge, it's immediately to the left of the check-in counters, on the walk to security.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

I carried-on a rolling suitcase with those dimensions and it security at Mayflower Terminal let it through.  Not much clearance around baggage opening the passenger security x-ray, though.  I think the port handlers have a good enough eye to know if a suitcase will fit or not.

At Mayflower Terminal, check-in is before the security check.  There is a split line for P/E/S, at check-in.  (Lines hadn't stretched out to the curb when I got there for my cruise.)  There are 3 openings for the security check point, which each lead to 2 x-rays/metal detectors.  No dedicated line for P/E/S for security though.  If you care about the P/E/S Lounge, it's immediately to the left of the check-in counters, on the walk to security.

Thank you so much for clarifying! You are amazing!

21 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

@PacnGoNow Looks like good news if you ask me! 🥳

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

That is the same size as my photo gear case which I have on occasions taken with me and it has never been a problem.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Any thoughts on luggage size limitations at the other Southampton terminals, e.g., 46 and 38/9?

Ocean Terminal (46) should not be a problem as it is relatively new. QEll (38/9) being an older terminal is one that could have problems (never sailed out of there so have no first hand knowledge) The other terminal that may be a problem could be the other older terminal City (101)

• Like 1

We boarded at Ocean Terminal on May 9th this year with carry on only suitcases and had no problems at all.  We were also able to leave our bags in our room right away, even though the room wasn’t ready yet.  Very easy!  

• Like 1

Just now, Higgamang said:

We boarded at Ocean Terminal on May 9th this year with carry on only suitcases and had no problems at all.  We were also able to leave our bags in our room right away, even though the room wasn’t ready yet.  Very easy!  

Yep! I did the same exact thing I go and drop my luggage off to my room and if they're still not complete I just come back later after lunch so I'm not in their way. Then I go ahead and unpack.