Canaletto- Koningsdam menu

QuattroRomeo

When we were on the Rotterdam in March, HAL was about to change the menu for Canaletto. But did the new menu get adopted for K-dam? When I look at our current booking for K, the sample menu is still the old one. (Which would be nice because I prefer it)! Anyone familiar with the old one know what is actually offered now? 

Is Canaletto now making their former daily specials available every day? That was the last change I had heard about. It was certainly the best speciality restaurant on our last Konigsdam cruise. They have really upped their game. The lamb was wonderful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OlsSalt said:

Is Canaletto now making their former daily specials available every day? That was the last change I had heard about. It was certainly the best speciality restaurant on our last Konigsdam cruise. They have really upped their game. The lamb was wonderful. 

No, I don't think so.  As far as I know it's only the osso bucco 

1 hour ago, Kamfish642 said:

Not impressed with menu.

My recent experience on Westerdam was poor. The Canaletto salad was one of the saddest I've ever seen (with 2 small gorgonzola crumbles and two tiny walnuts). I don't see the main I ordered on this menu, but it was served with gnocchi which were gummy and dense. The Affogato dessert was tiny -- like a doll's teacup with a tablespoon of gelato. Nothing like any I've ever been served in Italy.

Edited by cruisemom42

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Here is the new menu.  I believe it’s only on the Rotterdam right now.

canaletto_menu_winter_2023_en_rtdm_trial_v15.pdf 162.83 kB · 99 downloads

Thanks for the menu! I am forever on the prowl (not in a creepy way) for new wines to put in our Elite Beverage Package rotation. Canaletto has some nice wines by the glass at $15 or less.

• Like 1

There does seem to be a real difference in quality from ship to ship. (Of course that goes for just about anything)!

Last May (2022) aboard the Koningsdam, Canaletto was just excellent. We ate there 4 times on a 7 day cruise. I am hoping the menu there now is the same ( i.e the old one with daily specials).

On the Rotterdam this past winter, Canaletto was disappointing during our 2 visits. On CC people were starting to say that they couldn't do Canaletto reservations online and wondered what was happening. So I asked the hostess there if she had any news. She said that a new menu was being rolled out March 8 (our disembarkation date), but she didn't know if it was fleet-wide.

Cruisemom, the meal you had with gnocchi was likely the braised beef. My favourite.

I agree with your affogato comments- R-dam's was ridiculously small too. Last year on Kdam it was full-sized and very good. Don't know yet for K's current size-status! Seems like an odd choice of dessert to cut back on!

My favourite dessert is the Sicilian cassata torte - doesn't show up on the new menu though..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

My recent experience on Westerdam was poor. The Canaletto salad was one of the saddest I've ever seen (with 2 small gorgonzola crumbles and two tiny walnuts). I don't see the main I ordered on this menu, but it was served with gnocchi which were gummy and dense. The Affogato dessert was tiny -- like a doll's teacup with a tablespoon of gelato. Nothing like any I've ever been served in Italy.

You don't see it on here because this is the new menu.  The gnocchi you had  is not good even though some people rave about it.  I've come to take recommendations from here with a grain of salt.  I've never been disappointed with the tomato seafood soup and the vegetable risotto (gone from the new menu) and the osso bucco. I'm pretty sure you could enjoy those. The chocolate tart is wonderful.  Hal is never known for large desserts. Their gelato in canaletto tastes like its been in the freezer for 10 years but people say that is good too. It's not. I believe the poster you quoted was referring to this new menu not the old one you had.

• Like 1