Currency question

LizzGo

We are used to carrying USD  for tipping and small purchases when visiting several different countries while cruising. I've noticed that in some of the countries we will be visiting on upcoming cruises like Malaysia, and I think Thailand, (maybe Bali, Vietnam as well)  do not even allow the use of foreign currency. As credit cards are useless for tipping and I'm guessing many small vendors will want cash, how do you handle this? I imagine we can always order in Ringget or other currencies from our bank, but I would have no clue how much to order.

Can anyone who has been to these countries what they have done? How much to order or just ask your driver or guide to take you to an ATM? 

1 hour ago, LizzGo said:

We are used to carrying USD  for tipping and small purchases when visiting several different countries while cruising. I've noticed that in some of the countries we will be visiting on upcoming cruises like Malaysia, and I think Thailand, (maybe Bali, Vietnam as well)  do not even allow the use of foreign currency. As credit cards are useless for tipping and I'm guessing many small vendors will want cash, how do you handle this? I imagine we can always order in Ringget or other currencies from our bank, but I would have no clue how much to order.

Can anyone who has been to these countries what they have done? How much to order or just ask your driver or guide to take you to an ATM? 

You may also consider asking your question on the Ports Of Call forum. 

You are correct, that using US Dollars in most Asian ports is not very acceptable.  As to how much local currency you need, that is a very personal matter since each person's spending habit vary in some major ways.  We just returned from Asia (Japan, Taiwan and Korea) and have previously traveled in Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, and quite a few other Asian countries.  In all cases, we simply depended on ATMs to get cash and always carried some US Dollars as a backup (in most countries it is possible to exchange currency...although you may not get the best rates).

In over 50 years of extensive travel, we have never pre-ordered or purchased foreign currency at home.  

Hank