Versailles from La Havre

alborn63

Has anyone done a private tour to Versailles? If so, who did they use? Would prefer a guide that includes everything in cost.   We would really rather go on our own and do what we want to do so we can spend time the way we would like.  

Edited by alborn63

• alborn63 changed the title to Versailles from La Havre

I went to Versailles ten years ago during a stay in Paris.  No experience from Le Havre, although a google threw up this 

https://www.normandyprivatetours.com/portfolio-item/versailles-palace-tour/

considering you have to get your own ticket and the site itself says to allow 1 to 2 hours for security, I wonder what you are achieving by going private.  

I bought tickets from a place opposite the station from a Trip Advisor recommendation.  When we reached the palace we found this 

242D0300-2621-41B9-83FA-6F5EB9B916CF.thumb.jpeg.553e81d1d5c16e2d170951b980f6ba3a.jpegMy friends were grateful for my research.  We still had security.  There are basically two things you want to do on a first trip, you see the house and the gardens (with fountains).  We also had lunch in the cafe in the chateau and it was very good.   We spent about 7 hours there and got to Marie Antoinette’s Estate.  I recall us being exhausted from the walking but I think we may have got into Grand Trianon.   I assume that if you had a tour, ship or private, they would pick you up there.  

The point of me saying all this is that I am not sure what you are gaining by having a private tour.  The transport will not be accessible to you for the time you are in the palace.  Getting a ticket, unless you find one online beforehand will be your responsibility.  If you have a guide it will be an extra 500 euro.  Unless you have a lot of time or it is your second time there you will want to do the same as everyone else.  I cannot imagine someone going to all that trouble to get to Versailles and then say that they wanted to skip the house and do their own thing.  

iI don’t very often say it, but I wonder if at Versailles you would be just as happy (or better off) with a ship tour.  Does that make sense? 

If you want to DIY, there are a couple of options.  Our preferred way would be to simply rent a car in Le Havre (have done this a few times) and drive ourselves.  Under normal traffic conditions it is about a 2:15 min drive (one-way).  It is also possible using trains, but this is somewhat complicated and involves changing stations (and trains) in Paris.  The train option would take a lot more time and still leave you with a 15 min walk from the Versaille Chantiers station to the palace site.

As Versaille, you can either pay to join an English speaking tour, or simply DIY (a good option if you get the Audio Guide).

Hank