$25 deposit, but $100 cancellation fee?

WanderingBrit

Figuring that the current anniversary discounts represented more of a savings than the onboard incentives we could expect in 60 days when we next sail, and if not the $25 deposit might be easy to walk away from, I booked our next cruise.

I notice in the contract that the cancellation fee is stipulated as $100 per passenger, but at this point Viking only has $25 from us - does anyone have any experience canceling when there's only a $25 deposit? I can't imagine Viking would expect us to pay an additional $75 at that point to cancel - I'd rather just let the "payment in full" date come and go and forfeit the booking.

Kevin

Unless you are actually canceling all together, you can move any deposit to another cruise and there is no charge for that...

If for any reason you cannot go on the cruise you put the $25 on, or you change your mind to a different cruise, just amend the booking and move the deposit.

I would say however that if I paid $50 bucks for two of us to sail and I wanted to cancel all together, then Viking could "whistle" to get the extra $150 in cancelation fee from me.  I don't care what the contract states.  Send me a bill and see if you get payment.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I would say however that if I paid $50 bucks for two of us to sail and I wanted to cancel all together, then Viking could "whistle" to get the extra $150 in cancelation fee from me.  I don't care what the contract states.  Send me a bill and see if you get payment.

😄 Same!

In theory the 25th anniversary sale ends on May 31st, and prices go back up by $750 on the itinerary I booked - which is more than the onboard discounts I would get if I booked it when we're onboard in July. If, however, there is another sale or offer when we're onboard that makes it attractive to cancel and rebook and save a bit more, then that's the scenario in which I would cancel.

Kevin

4 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

😄 Same!

In theory the 25th anniversary sale ends on May 31st, and prices go back up by $750 on the itinerary I booked - which is more than the onboard discounts I would get if I booked it when we're onboard in July. If, however, there is another sale or offer when we're onboard that makes it attractive to cancel and rebook and save a bit more, then that's the scenario in which I would cancel.

Kevin

How do you know the cruise fare will go up $750?

1 minute ago, May B said:

How do you know the cruise fare will go up $750?

The sale shows the price the fare was before the sale started, $750 more than I paid, and the sale ends on May 31st so in theory it will return to the pre-sale price.

11 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

The sale shows the price the fare was before the sale started, $750 more than I paid, and the sale ends on May 31st so in theory it will return to the pre-sale price.

I agree that the $25 could easily evaporate, but I’m less confident that the cruise fare will go up by $750.

I absolutely agree that the 1st of any month is almost always when you’ll see a new offer replace an old offer.

• Like 1