What’s the current status of one person wanting to upgrade beverage package?

cruisestitch

So as I understand it, both people in a stateroom have to have the same beverage package but I am wondering if, since January 1, 2023, what happens if one person walks up to a bartender and asked to upgrade his/her Classic package without upgrading their roommate’s package?  Does the bartender do the upgrade for just the one person?  Or does the passenger get told “sorry, I can’t sell you an upgrade without also upgrading your roommate”

Second question, if a Zenith who gets a Premium package, has a non-Zenith roommate, does the roommate have to have a Premium package, too, or can the roommate have a Classic beverage package?

Would like to hear from anyone who has personal experience with this or any similar scenario since the policy changed earlier this year.

16 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

So as I understand it, both people in a stateroom have to have the same beverage package but I am wondering if, since January 1, 2023, what happens if one person walks up to a bartender and asked to upgrade his/her Classic package without upgrading their roommate’s package?  Does the bartender do the upgrade for just the one person?  Or does the passenger get told “sorry, I can’t sell you an upgrade without also upgrading your roommate”

I can't speak to how it would be handled on board...

However, we have an upcoming Alaska cruise and I called X and was able to upgrade only my drink package by explaining that my wife just doesn't drink, period!

We have since switched to a suite, so it's a moot point now. But I can't imagine what I did pre-cruise would have been an issue once on board.

• Thanks 1

My DH and adult DD are happy with the Classic package. I have always called and upgraded myself. I did try last week for an upcoming cruise and was told no, we all have to upgrade. I will try again later this week. I am also curious how this is handled if on board. 

21 minutes ago, Illsticktocrusing said:

I drink and my husband does not.  When we don't have an AI package, I purchase a zero proof for him and Premium for me.  I have also upgraded just myself in the past as well.  I do have to call when doing this before cruise and have upgraded on the ship

Has this been since the policy change in January 2023Has this been since the policy change in January 2023

we were on the Beyond in March and asked the pool bar staff. They were very accommodating but returned to us a few minutes later saying both people in the room must upgrade so we stayed with the Classic and paid for premium drinks when we wanted to. I have read that you could try other bars until you find a bartender who might upgrade one person. We did not try.

We both have the AI on an upcoming TP sailing.  I called to just upgrade me since my wife only drinks Classic beverages.  I told them my wife didn't drink, so they upgraded just me and downgraded hers to Zero Proof Promo Drink Package.  I had to call back to reinstate wife's Classic package.  They did, and I just paid for my upgrade to the Premium package.   With the Elite+ discount, it ended up around $15 a day, which included gratuity.

• Like 1