Currently on the Crown in Alaska…..

Shippy

very cold and windy. Best thing I brought was earmuffs.

People who are on a back to back said last week was hot !

We were lucky and got a penthouse from a bid. Great location, midship deck 14.

The balcony is fully covered which is great for Alaska as it rains on and off.

We can look down on balcony cabin’s balconies. They are totally exposed with no overhang which looks like they are fairly useless in this weather.

Food has been very good. We order coffee and juice to the cabin very early every morning and it is delivered within 10 minutes.

Ship is very clean. Not to impressed with production shows but did see a good comedian today.

If you get confused when going back to your cabin, for the even number ones , the hall carpet has red berries on it. The carpet in the hallway that has green berries has the odd number cabins.

It is very subtle but the panel outside your entry has buttons for…make up the room or do not disturb.

any questions?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

That is correct...we were on the Royal last week and it was mild by Alaskan standards!

Congrats on the penthouse bid! We sail the Crown for the first time for a Thanksgiving cruise so happy to hear that it is clean.

How is the MDR food? We thought the Royal's was very good so hoping the same for the Crown (weren't too impressed with buffet though...).

Enjoy your trip!

We are considering a cruise on the Crown from San Francisco to Hawaii. (January 2024)

The last Princess ship we were on was the Sky Princess and although we like the ship we found many of the venues, especially bars and lounges, very busy. Is it the same on the Crown? We have previously done similar itinerary on  the 'old' (decommissioned in 2020) Star Princess and didn't find the same issues on that ship.

Any views you may have would be gratefully received. 

4 hours ago, Marronnier said:

We are considering a cruise on the Crown from San Francisco to Hawaii. (January 2024)

The last Princess ship we were on was the Sky Princess and although we like the ship we found many of the venues, especially bars and lounges, very busy. Is it the same on the Crown? We have previously done similar itinerary on  the 'old' (decommissioned in 2020) Star Princess and didn't find the same issues on that ship.

Any views you may have would be gratefully received. 

We were recently on this ship/cruise in April.   A few comments:  The Crown is showing her wear and tear,  the elevators are small and crowded, the hallways are narrow and difficult to navigate if you have mobility issues and need to get around the cleaning carts in the morning and evening, the food in the MDR is just okay and I clearly get that this is a very subjective statement, the shows were mediocre, the staff are very nice, however, no one really knew answers to our questions or concerns, we had a full suite in the aft - the extra room both inside the cabin and on that beautiful deck was well appreciated given 5 sea days both coming and going, it was very chilly in April so I would be prepared with layers of clothing, the seas were rough durning the crossing, loved the servers in Crooners where we spent a lot of sea day time, be prepared for chaos during the tender process in Maui (I hope it goes smoother for you!!!) - long waits to get on the tender in both directions.  The ports in Hawaii were all gorgeous!!  Just not enough time at each one....  Given what we know now, we would have flown to one of the islands and picked up a ship in Hawaii and toured that way.   

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Basil52 said:

We were recently on this ship/cruise in April.   A few comments:  The Crown is showing her wear and tear,  the elevators are small and crowded, the hallways are narrow and difficult to navigate if you have mobility issues and need to get around the cleaning carts in the morning and evening, the food in the MDR is just okay and I clearly get that this is a very subjective statement, the shows were mediocre, the staff are very nice, however, no one really knew answers to our questions or concerns, we had a full suite in the aft - the extra room both inside the cabin and on that beautiful deck was well appreciated given 5 sea days both coming and going, it was very chilly in April so I would be prepared with layers of clothing, the seas were rough durning the crossing, loved the servers in Crooners where we spent a lot of sea day time, be prepared for chaos during the tender process in Maui (I hope it goes smoother for you!!!) - long waits to get on the tender in both directions.  The ports in Hawaii were all gorgeous!!  Just not enough time at each one....  Given what we know now, we would have flown to one of the islands and picked up a ship in Hawaii and toured that way.   

Just to give an alternate perspective, we were also on a 15 day to Hawaii in April on Crown and completely enjoyed it and would book again in a heartbeat.  We did not experience that 'overcrowded' feel and were able to get seats when/where we wanted.  The food varied - averaged on good - some meals were great, some were a miss, which was never an issue because you could just get something else.  We really enjoyed the activities on board (yes, a lot of sea days..) and most of all, the crew were very friendly and hospitable.  As many have said, cruises are subjective, and we realized each cruise has it's own vibe too.  It depends on your mindset, expectations and the experience you are looking for.  For us, the Crown to Hawaii was a delight  - even despite chaos with Maui tenders - Princess handed out water and cold towels, we met some cool folks on line, and all laughed about it later in Explorers with cocktails and a game show. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have found the MDR food good. They have great special’s for breakfast.

We get up very early and to the international cafe for pastry for the room.

They have a fabulous almond croissant which is only available until 10 am.

They also have monkey bread which is a cinnamon cake like pastry but you have to ask for it.

• Like 1

Thank you @Shippy for taking the time to post about your experiences.

Question for you - can you order a full pizza through room service? Is there a charge? 

Others have posted this is possible, without a charge.

I'm looking forward to being on the Crown in August.

TIA

2 minutes ago, Shippy said:

They also have monkey bread which is a cinnamon cake like pastry but you have to ask for it.

Thanks for the info about monkey bread and the almond croissant. I love those two options as well.

Good to know the weather is fickle, our cruise on the Crown is in 3 weeks and I've been reading it was hot there so I was doubting if I should be packing my long sleeves and layers. Now I know to be prepared for anything! lol 

Very random and specific favor to ask. When you've time, could you pop into the library and see if they have a stack of board games there? (Even better if you could take a picture or make a list).  My husband and I are avid gamers and are debating on how many/what board games to pack to play on sea days. Some cruise ships are very well stocked, and others have almost nothing; maybe checkers, dominios, or skipbo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shippy said:

Hi @Shippy! Thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences on the Crown. We are boarding her for the 1st time on 6/11. We are so looking forward to this cruise and appreciate hearing about your experiences and journey.

I do have a question for you @Shippy. I get cold very easily. How chilly or is it warm on the inside of the Crown - especially the MDR, the theatre, the Piazza areas, etc...? Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Nolafan said:

I do have a question for you @Shippy. I get cold very easily. How chilly or is it warm on the inside of the Crown - especially the MDR, the theatre, the Piazza areas, etc...? Thanks!

That would be very subjective.  I'm usually too warm.  Take a light jacket or sweater with you just in case.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Thank you @Shippy for taking the time to post about your experiences.

Question for you - can you order a full pizza through room service? Is there a charge? 

Others have posted this is possible, without a charge.

I'm looking forward to being on the Crown in August.

TIA

I was on last week. You could order a cheese or pepperoni pizza with no charge through room service. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shippy said:

The donuts in the morning at the International Cafe were fabulous!!  

5 hours ago, KatRangoon said:

Good to know the weather is fickle, our cruise on the Crown is in 3 weeks and I've been reading it was hot there so I was doubting if I should be packing my long sleeves and layers. Now I know to be prepared for anything! lol 

Very random and specific favor to ask. When you've time, could you pop into the library and see if they have a stack of board games there? (Even better if you could take a picture or make a list).  My husband and I are avid gamers and are debating on how many/what board games to pack to play on sea days. Some cruise ships are very well stocked, and others have almost nothing; maybe checkers, dominios, or skipbo. 

I found the library to be well stocked with games, puzzles, boxes of cards....

6 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Sorry this has come out as several different posts...

Where are the fresh juices offered?

Is there a secondary location to get the specialty coffees in the mornings, besides the IC?

@Shippy

We are mid ship on deck 14. Directly above us is Cones & Coffee and the pizza place, Slice.

pizza is very good.

Cones & Coffee has very good softee ice cream. They also have specialty coffees and delicious hot chocolate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Shippy said:

We are mid ship on deck 14. Directly above us is Cones & Coffee and the pizza place, Slice.

pizza is very good.

Cones & Coffee has very good softee ice cream. They also have specialty coffees and delicious hot chocolate.

Is there a place to get hard ice cream (not soft serve) besides the MDR?  

Edited by theloo

28 minutes ago, theloo said:

I don't think so; I asked about the differences between Royal (was on her last week) and Crown (upcoming cruise) and they said no gelato place like the Royal had.

However, they should offer hard ice cream in the MDR in the dessert menu like other ships do I would think.

1 hour ago, miagirl said:

Just saw listed in my Journey View that there is a variety show schedule - with some of the crew performing.  I haven't seen one of those in  years.  @Shippy are hey having one on your sailing?

@Coral  did they have one on your recent trip?

I actually don't know. I posted the Patters on my live thread. I tried to avoid the Theatre in an attempt to stay healthy. I went to the Naturalist talks but that was it.

16 hours ago, theloo said:

At Coffee & Cones, they make those fancy sundaes.

They only use vanilla gelato but you can just ask for that without all the other stuff.

23 hours ago, KatRangoon said:

You will not be bored….

jigsaw puzzles, chess, checkers,trivial pursuit, backgammon, scattagories,

rummikube, monopoly, Jenga, scrabble, Pictionary 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

You will not be bored….

jigsaw puzzles, chess, checkers,trivial pursuit, backgammon, scattagories,

rummikube, monopoly, Jenga, scrabble, Pictionary 

But not the good games like Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, or some of the newer ones.  

On 5/30/2023 at 10:46 PM, Shippy said:

very cold and windy. Best thing I brought was earmuffs.

People who are on a back to back said last week was hot !

We were lucky and got a penthouse from a bid. Great location, midship deck 14.

The balcony is fully covered which is great for Alaska as it rains on and off.

We can look down on balcony cabin’s balconies. They are totally exposed with no overhang which looks like they are fairly useless in this weather.

Food has been very good. We order coffee and juice to the cabin very early every morning and it is delivered within 10 minutes.

Ship is very clean. Not to impressed with production shows but did see a good comedian today.

If you get confused when going back to your cabin, for the even number ones , the hall carpet has red berries on it. The carpet in the hallway that has green berries has the odd number cabins.

It is very subtle but the panel outside your entry has buttons for…make up the room or do not disturb.

any questions?

Thanks for your report. I get on tomorrow and have packed a bit of everything and plan to layer. Good to hear that you thought the food was very good. Hope you have enjoyed your cruise.

• Like 1