"shop until you drop"

Sky Sweet

Whenever we visit the USA, we shop until we drop. It's a Canadian custom!

And...habit carries over to wherever else we travel! It's my favourite "siteseeing"!!!!

Hi Babylene :)

I did the opposite when we cruised to Alaska on the Infinity. We flew from the US to Vancover, BC a few days before that cruise, and spent a significant part of a day shopping at Granville Island. It was a lot of fun and I bought some beautiful items that are quite unique.

We always fill the cases when we visit the US. We live in the UK so prices are sooooo reasonable for us over there.

On a cruise to the Med this summer, we will be having a trip to Florence - to see the museums and galleries ..... no to buy a leather jacket :D.

Unless I am specifically looking for something, like a piece of jewelry, or a request from a friend or family member for a specific item....I do not shop on vacation.... ( anymore ). I have accumulated so much JUNK including souvenirs. Tried to sell some of it at a yard sale but couldn't even give it away.

If I do buy something it would be like a guide to the area I'm visiting, or regional information...cookbook, etc....

We have more t-shirts and tchatch-kas than we know what to do with.

At this time we don't even buy souvenirs for those who watch our home. We simply take them out to a nice dinner when we get back.

Dave:eek:

I just got home from grocery shopping, and I have to laugh. One of my favourite stores in foreign cities is the local supermarket!! I always find something to buy! I gravitate towards the place...my home away from home!!! It's so much fun!

I just got home from grocery shopping, and I have to laugh. One of my favourite stores in foreign cities is the local supermarket!! I always find something to buy! I gravitate towards the place...my home away from home!!! It's so much fun!

I feel the same way because it is part ot the experience of being in another part of the world. The first time I went to Copenhagen, which was during the early seventies, I was pleased to discover that Caviar was so much cheaper than it is in the United States, so I bought jars of it. After I got home, I thought of that wonderful trip every time I cooked with that Caviar :)

Got to agree with you there. DH & I try to head to a grocery store in every port we visit. We love to bring home hot sauces and BBQ sauces for our friends and family at home. So much cheaper at the local grocery than in specialty shops - same items, cheaper costs.

We're also into shopping at WalMarts, Woolworths or Sam's Club stores in island ports. Love it.

Dianne

I do a lot of shopping online. My office knows when I'm getting ready to go on a cruise - they can tell by the amount of packages that start coming in!

Michele

Me too, I shop at my favorite stores for the brands I like best and know will fit. I also do ebay. When I found out I was taking an April cruise followed closely by our annual week in Vegas I got on Ebay. Shock of all shocks, everything I bid on I ended up with. Now I have enough clothes for about 5 cruises: it's fun, fun, fun!!! As for shopping in ports or just prior to embarkation, I rarely bother. All I buy in ports are a few sourveniors (very few) and my supply of booze cause of price. There was a time when I loved to shop but it just doesn't interest me much anymore. NMnita

We are coming over to the states in a weeks or so for a cruise and like to buy quality souveniers and gems.

We are stopping off in NYC on the way home so may do a bit of shopping there.

Coming over to Florida in the summer and that is when we will pack the extra suitcases to bring back various medicines that cost so much more here in UK and things for the upcoming xmas and birthday for our DD like my little pony that is half the price or less.

We always visit Monoprix in Paris - and come home with a year's supply of notepads, notebooks, and inexpensive spices. They make such nice reminders of good times.:)

It also usually gives me a chance to meet a few French women my age and stumble through a conversation.

Archived